Let's Talk About Death, Baby... by Sven Kloepping

Tell us what you thought about the December 2010 issue!

Long Fiction Editor

Post December 21, 2010, 04:07:06 PM

Let's Talk About Death, Baby... by Sven Kloepping

Very rich description of an anti-Utopia that doesn't deserve it . . . sad and a little scary. "Let's Talk About Death" indeed -- the death of humanity, the lumbering conversion of the species into a horde of consumerist zombies.

It recalls the worst of "1984" and "Brave New World," and combines them with electronic implants.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Commenter

Post January 06, 2011, 09:06:26 PM

Wow, moody, atmospheric, and ultimately... questioning reality. Nice. Reminds me a little of that american writer, Philip K Dick. Do holograms dream of electric tombstones?
che frances monro - http://www.chemonro.com

Commenter

Post January 07, 2011, 01:27:56 PM

chemonro wrote:Wow, moody, atmospheric, and ultimately... questioning reality. Nice. Reminds me a little of that american writer, Philip K Dick. Do holograms dream of electric tombstones?

Thanks, chemonro, for your wonderful comment! Thanks also to you, Lester, for your precise analysis of my story.

Let me say a word about it:

It is a translation of one of my German SF stories (original title: "Gothic Lovers", yes an English title!). During translation process it struck me so hard that the storyline went into a complete other direction than originally intended. So you may call it an original English story, as I wasn't looking for a moment at the original after one or two pages of translation.

Best, Sven
Read my sci-fi stories and poetry on http://www.svenkloepping.de

Long Fiction Editor

Post January 07, 2011, 02:11:03 PM

Another new member! Welcome, Sven; hope you stick around -- and learn to put up with us rampant curmudgeons, ha ha.
During translation process it struck me so hard that the storyline went into a complete other direction than originally intended.
Interesting what can happen with translations . . .
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Commenter

Post January 07, 2011, 02:54:17 PM

What the h... is a curmudgeon?

BTW, thanks for your welcome message ;-)
Read my sci-fi stories and poetry on http://www.svenkloepping.de

Critic

Post January 12, 2011, 10:05:21 PM

I really liked it, great job. You really captured the depressing nature of the world, and the man's sorrow in it. The ending was just perfect as well. This story makes me want to toss my TV out the window and run off with my dog to go live out in the woods somewhere.
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.”
-Mark Twain

Return to December 2010