The Goblin's Whistle by Bob Griffin

Tell us what you thought about the December 2010 issue!

Master Critic

Post December 17, 2010, 11:30:22 AM

The Goblin's Whistle by Bob Griffin

I don’t usually read sword & sorcery stories all the way through, but I promised myself that THIS TIME I would give the story a chance – and I’m glad I did.

There are a nice variety of characters from the get-go: Richard Matthews, a traveler who believes he is smarter than everyone else; Syn, a warrior-knight who thinks all problems can be solved with ‘ a sharp blade’; Bradson, an everyman barkeep; and a clumsy, paranoid goblin named Sanibel.

I enjoyed the action in some of the scenes. Within one paragraph, creatures and weapons are swung, struck, splintered, howling, shoved, lurched, stifled, kicked, and washed over. Sounds like an average night at the Tavern at 4th and Gaulbert. “If I tell you to duck, ask no questions, just throw yourself under the table.”

As I said, I don’t usually enjoy these kinds of stories, but this was a fun piece – with everything working out as it should in the end.
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Long Fiction Editor

Post January 06, 2011, 10:58:51 PM

This one didn't do much for me . . . I'm not sure, but I think the rhythm of the words was too monotonous . . . it had good characterization, plot, etc., but . . . it lacked a buildup of tension, I guess.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Commenter

Post January 09, 2011, 04:47:50 AM

If only every problem could be solved by violence and killing like this! *doe eyes*
che frances monro - http://www.chemonro.com

Return to December 2010