The Tale of the Heavenly Bureaucracy By Stephen Weinstock

Tell us what you thought about the September/October 2010 issue!

Editor Emeritus

Post October 17, 2010, 12:04:01 AM

The Tale of the Heavenly Bureaucracy By Stephen Weinstock

This tale nicely stops short of being a cotton-candy parody piece. "Heaven" gets its due by actually doing Its Purposes.

Then at the end, it becomes a study of what rules mean to us. I myself do like rules, so I ended up in a job of my own creation that looks for when broken procedures need to be updated. Yet there are limits to rules, and Cta has to "think outside the rule manual" at the end. However, at least she has some help with the wise woman to talk to.

Master Critic

Post October 17, 2010, 01:44:02 PM

Forms

I also enjoyed reading this piece. The author avoided so many pitfalls: He doesn't become too preachy; he doesn't try to talk like 'a woman' (as if any man could understand how a woman thinks);he doesn't take the subject too seriously. I like the phrase "Even Heaven protects us from the searing light by organizing religions to death."The story wasn't earth-shaking, but was a nice diversion on an Autumn's afternoon.
I've always thought that the people who are so certain about the validity of THEIR religion would have been the same ones hitting people over the head with the Greek/Roman gods 2000 years ago. My apologies to the four people out there who HAVE discovered the TRUE religion.
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Commenter

Post October 18, 2010, 12:35:24 AM

I found this story rather entertaining. It nicely illustrates the danger of basing your life on rules created by others instead of finding your own path. History has shown how often organized religion retards spiritual evolution by causing people to blindly follow a set of rules.

Just because the leader of a religion asserts that these rules are the decrees of some divine being doesn't mean that they shouldn't be questioned. This questioning of divine authority is what allows us to grow spiritually.

One odd thing is how this also goes on in the scientific community. Hypothoses that go against the generally accepted theories are oftentimes condemened regardless of the amount of evidence presented. Beliefs are like narcotics. People become addicted to them and react with hostility when those beliefs are jeprodized.

Critic

Post October 19, 2010, 11:30:45 AM

Dei

bottomdweller wrote:hitting people over the head with the Greek/Roman gods 2000 years ago.

As far as I know those polytheistic societies were careful not to offent any deity, to the extent of having temples to The Unknown God, to be on the safe side. Consequently the expanding Romans did embrace foreign deities they encountered, adding them to their pantheon, or identifying them with gods already there.

Master Critic

Post October 19, 2010, 12:22:17 PM

deity

If only our religions were as tolerant of each other today. We could have a huge soft ball of religion, mixed well with the gods of Islam, Hinduism, Christanity, Paganism, Mythology and Buddhism; and then peppered with all the minor cults and video game gods.
Like the main character in the story, however, I was referring to all the good people who demand that others 'choose one' instead of floating around trying them all out - or simply being post-Theologic. Many a mythical tale begins with someone refusing to believe in a particular god - or any of the gods, which is followed swiftly by revenge against the non-believer.
Once again, my apologies to the 3 people in the world who really have experienced the 'seering light' and have risen to a state of true enlightenment.
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Commenter

Post November 06, 2010, 05:01:53 AM

I liked Cta, she was a cute, sweet character.
che frances monro - http://www.chemonro.com

Return to September/October 2010