Ruta Norte by Jonathan Mascitelli

Tell us what you thought about the September/October 2010 issue!

Long Fiction Editor

Post October 07, 2010, 02:42:06 PM

Ruta Norte by Jonathan Mascitelli

This seems to be a pure mood piece, and I'm not sure what to think of it. Makes me think of the recent discussion about Challenge stories that lack one of the features we score with. No plot to speak of, no overt characterization, just a few words of dialog. Still, it evoked a sense of mystery and slight unease, and did a very good job of that.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Editor Emeritus

Post October 16, 2010, 11:43:33 PM

I picked up on the lack of violence. Maybe the riders were not happy, but they didn't notice early on, and once they did, didn't go rustling him into custody or such. It's as if he had a right to do whatever he was going to do, and they had to let him process it all, or not.

Master Critic

Post October 17, 2010, 02:07:51 PM

ruta Norte

There is a tradition in our family, that if you are having a dream about a car or train that pulls up and wants you to get in, and the people already riding are dead, don't get into it - or you'll die in your sleep.
Maybe it is just the Halloween jitters, but the description of the passengers seem to seem to indicate they are dead - long black fingernails, pale skin, bulging faces - which are all characteristics of the Nosferatu, or those who have been dead for only a few days. Perhaps other readers could tell us if they have the same impression as I did.
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Editor Emeritus

Post October 17, 2010, 03:30:51 PM

Dead vs ?

Interesting take, and I can see how it fits - but I got the sense the passengers were alive but not totally human. Y'all can take dibs on Aliens, private religious sect, or just Kafka-esque literary surrealism.

Master Critic

Post October 17, 2010, 03:53:33 PM

undead

There is such a thin veil between life and death - how can we be sure about the author's intentions - or our own status? Ahh! I frightened myself!
P.S. In spite of the fact that it doesn't have a plot (okay, given) this text was very well written and could be expanded to have a plot. Nope, I think it is a death train - and the main character is the only one alive. He "got on the wrong train".
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Commenter

Post November 06, 2010, 05:14:23 AM

The consequences of getting on the wrong bus, eh?
che frances monro - http://www.chemonro.com

Return to September/October 2010