Grandpa Eddie by Stuart Plotkin

Tell us what you thought about the September/October 2010 issue!

Long Fiction Editor

Post October 06, 2010, 11:56:17 PM

Grandpa Eddie by Stuart Plotkin

I was a little disappointed with the way this story ended . . . after all that bizarre and delightful silliness, I still don't know how the argument was resolved.

Dem bones, dem bones, dem dry bones . . .
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Editor Emeritus

Post October 16, 2010, 11:02:09 PM

I think it's here:

""You know?" Aaron said, " Why can't Cal just stay in the house. He has lived there 50 years, he is comfortable there. We can get a caregiver to look in on him and he'll be happy and content.""

Meanwhile, the setup of this felt a little rocky. It's not clear why it had to be feet and not a classic Headless Grandpa or such - somewhere in here the pacing felt uneven.

Master Critic

Post October 21, 2010, 12:23:35 PM

Grampa Eddie

This is a fun piece right before Halloween. It is a straight ahead telling of a short, spooky story. Two brothers are fussing at each other when a pair of legs - just legs - appears in their back yard walking back & forth, demanding the brothers follow.
I'm sure we have all been in situations where we thought, "If only Grandma (or Aunt Mae, or Dad) were here - he would know what to do." If there is any deeper meaning here, it's that families are often so separated by distance or death, that it becomes easy to get distracted from the fact that we have extended families.
Mostly, this is just an easy to read, fun Halloweenie type story. It doesn't take itself to seriously, and the reader should read it in the same manner.
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Return to September/October 2010