Reichenbach Falls by McCamy Taylor

Tell us what you thought about the September/October 2010 issue!

Long Fiction Editor

Post October 06, 2010, 11:56:22 AM

Reichenbach Falls by McCamy Taylor

Well, McCamy, I hate to say it, but you've done a no-no.

To wit . . . a reader's full comprehension of this story (this reader's, at least) requires their familiarity with a referenced piece of work that they may or may not have read (in my case, not -- I had to go find a synopsis), thus rendering it inaccessible to a potential group of readers.

I'll just add in here that I don't consider myself particularly well-read in general literature.

I was able in this instance to remedy the problem rather easily, at least to a superficial extent. This may not be the case for all readers, though, and some may not be willing to do the necessary homework. As well, I found it distracting.

I know, a lot of writers reference other works, but . . . it's a somewhat risky practice. There are always those who, when confronted with an unfamiliar reference, will just stop reading.

All of my own stories are self-contained. This is partly because I don't know a lot of outside work to reference (see above), but also in part because I try to imagine myself as some stranger who can't see into my mind; I keep the story self-contained and complete as a service to the reader.

I have another, lesser criticism regarding this particular story: I didn't see any explanation of the means by which Mycroft communicated to Susan's mind . . . how did he upload himself into her -- and how did he do it without her noticing?

Maybe these are minor niggles . . . and otherwise, it was a good story.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Critic

Post October 28, 2010, 06:40:57 PM

I went back and read the other two stories, as well as this one. I have to say I really enjoyed them, especially the world you created. I really like the idea of an AI becoming a citizen, rather then a piece of property or an uber-villain. Overall, this and it's predecessors, were well written, with great characterization, and entertaining. They have become some of my favorite stories I've read on Aphelion so far.

As for it being a series I'm going to have to disagree with Lester. I don't mind a series of stories, in fact, more of them would be nice.
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.”
-Mark Twain

Commenter

Post November 06, 2010, 03:37:12 AM

I can see Lester Curtis' point of view, but The Final Problem is a classic, is that a defense? I read it many years ago and only vaguely remember the details - Holmes disguised as an aged Italian priest in particular.

With the recent movie there have been discussions about "Who is your favorite Holmes?" I have to say Tom Baker from the BBC's 1982 production of The Hound of the Baskervilles. Robert Downey Jnr did a great job, though!

I expected a few more fireworks in this story, it seemed a little quiet. Once you've got an AI in your head I was expecting Things To Happen. Not just that Mycroft would go back into the machine and save the world. I suppose it had to happen, though?
che frances monro - http://www.chemonro.com

Return to September/October 2010