The Hot Bolt Kids by Cody L. Stanford

Tell us what you thought about the September/October 2010 issue!

Long Fiction Editor

Post October 05, 2010, 11:38:44 PM

The Hot Bolt Kids by Cody L. Stanford

This story has real personality -- well, several, if you want to look at it that way. Kind of a supernatural-noir-blended narrative. Wonderfully done; he puts Charles ("Charlie") Darwin in the same universe with a bunch of mythical beasts and wizardry, and then turns the ending in a direction I didn't expect.

Setting and characters had an authentic and distinct feel about them . . . I'd say it was colorful, if you take 'gray' as a color . . .

Cody's bio indicates experience and practice, and this story shows it; it is an artfully crafted piece of work. Read it!
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Critic

Post November 01, 2010, 07:00:50 AM

This was an excellent piece. I love the narrator, his little comments, snipes, and morbid sidetracks; he was just full of character. You did an awesome job conveying a world with a dash of history with minute references here and there. I've never really read a urban fantasy/steampunk kind of tale before, and I liked it. Overall, great job and let me echo Lester, read it.
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.”
-Mark Twain

Commenter

Post November 06, 2010, 07:38:07 AM

Reminded me a little of China Miéville, all those races living together, especially the bird people. So the moral of the story is.. It's better to be a warewolf than a child abuser? Hmm, I could just about agree with that.

How do you pronounce Faolán anyway?

Neat job of turning the narrator from unsympathetic to sympathetic over the course of the story. Well done!
che frances monro - http://www.chemonro.com

Return to September/October 2010