Lament for the House of Arender by Joshua Hampton

Tell us what you thought about the September/October 2010 issue!

Master Critic

Post November 08, 2010, 05:14:25 PM

Lament for the House of Arender by Joshua Hampton

I trust that someone will tutor me on why this poem, Lament for the House of Arender, should be held worthy of some high regard, but all I continue to see is a pale specter of a truly great poem included within the tale: The Fall of the House of Usher by Edgar Allan Poe. To me, reading Hampton’s poem (although it certainly follows a poetic pattern) is like hearing really bad Karaoke – it is a sad reminder of the earlier work. Sorry, I just don’t get it.

I include the poem from Poe of which I speak:

I.
In the greenest of our valleys,
By good angels tenanted,
Once fair and stately palace --
Radiant palace --reared its head.
In the monarch Thought's dominion --
It stood there!
Never seraph spread a pinion
Over fabric half so fair.
II.
Banners yellow, glorious, golden,
On its roof did float and flow;
(This --all this --was in the olden
Time long ago)
And every gentle air that dallied,
In that sweet day,
Along the ramparts plumed and pallid,
A winged odour went away.
III.
Wanderers in that happy valley
Through two luminous windows saw
Spirits moving musically
To a lute's well-tuned law,
Round about a throne, where sitting
(Porphyrogene!)
In state his glory well befitting,
The ruler of the realm was seen.
IV.
And all with pearl and ruby glowing
Was the fair palace door,
Through which came flowing, flowing, flowing
And sparkling evermore,
A troop of Echoes whose sweet duty
Was but to sing,
In voices of surpassing beauty,
The wit and wisdom of their king.
V.
But evil things, in robes of sorrow,
Assailed the monarch's high estate;
(Ah, let us mourn, for never morrow
Shall dawn upon him, desolate!)
And, round about his home, the glory
That blushed and bloomed
Is but a dim-remembered story
Of the old time entombed.
VI.
And travellers now within that valley,
Through the red-litten windows, see
Vast forms that move fantastically
To a discordant melody;
While, like a rapid ghastly river,
Through the pale door,
A hideous throng rush out forever,
And laugh --but smile no more.
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Long Fiction Editor

Post November 08, 2010, 07:58:45 PM

I don't know, bd . . . maybe Hampton was trying to compose a sequel or epilogue to Poe's work, but -- putting them side by side, I don't really see a whole lot of similarity beyond the mood and a LITTLE bit of the rhyme and rhythm . . .

I guess i just can't quite figure out what you're complaining about . . .
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Commenter

Post November 08, 2010, 08:35:49 PM

As the author, I can say that this poem was not inspired by Poe's. I've not read "Usher" since I was a teenager. Just an interesting coincidence, in both the title and some of the themes. And let's be honest -- these are pretty universal themes and the title as I've written it uses wording very common to Celtic, Norse and Anglo Saxon poetry.

It's not the best thing I've ever written (never claimed it was worthy of high regard), but nonetheless I am proud of it and happy to have it out there for people to read.

And as for the "Really bad karaoke" remark, I'll take it with a grain of salt. : P

Thanks for reading!

Master Critic

Post November 08, 2010, 08:47:35 PM

LAMENT

I hear a more modern version of a Greek mourning lament/song.

War's folly and cost.

AS far as the Poe, maybe a bit, however that possible attribute does not take away from the poem.

RT

Master Critic

Post November 09, 2010, 09:21:34 AM

Lament for excellent writing

In the author's bio it says, "His work as a professional writer has been featured in countless publications and media outlets across the country...wow! - and I call myself a narcissist, I can't hold a candle. "He's also a featured writer for the English football club Chelsea's stateside newsletter" - and we, the secretaries here at work are all duely impressed.
MY POINT IS - if this were the writing of a 7th grade student who had diligently slaved over this epic poem before turning it in to receive an A++ in his English class - I'd let it pass with a grin. But when this kind of recycled, regurgitated, big-headed, overdone compost floats to the top - well, I just don't get it. If the author is as good a writer as he says he is, I'd like to see some of his A game in this ezine - instead of something he decided not to throw out.

Commenter

Post November 09, 2010, 10:37:51 AM

Wow.

How is it narcissism to state a fact? I didn't say my AWESOMELY EXCELLENT writing has been featured... Actually, I consider myself a pretty humble person. I'm always striving to better my writing and I am never quite satisfied that what I have created is worthy of high regard (as mentioned in my previous post). I don't waste my time tearing down other writers with hateful posts on websites. It's a hard thing to put your work out there for people to see -- and this is exactly why. Feedback is necessary. But your remarks are just pointless. And don't reflect anything. It's negativity for negativity's sake. I can take it, that's not the issue. As a professional writer (yes, that's what I do for a living) I've learned over the past fifteen years to listen to feedback, even when negative, and learn from it. You, however, offer no true feedback. Just hateful remarks.

Obviously the editors thought the poem was worthy of something. Hence its inclusion here. You happen to disagree. Case closed. No need to get so nasty.

And a bio is somewhat of a resume -- why not mention that I write for the stateside newsletter of one of the biggest sports teams in the world? Again, it's something I'm very proud of.

I'm not sure why you have chosen to take this discussion down to such a level, but oh well. Good luck to you!

BTW: You spelled Budweiser wrong in your signature. Might want to fix that.

Master Critic

Post November 09, 2010, 10:49:14 AM

Lament

My dear word nerd - I'm simply saying that, since you have all of this expertize and have been published so extensively, surely you have better than this to offer us. I'll order up something fresh & new & exciting, not the same old, same old.
The reason I brought Poe into the mix is because both poems had the same subject: an honorable linage brought to an abrupt end. However, one poem is an exhibit of genius, and the other is just a collection of tired words.
I look forward to seeing more from you in future issues - poems that are fresh and new and exciting! And I will go online to read some of your other works - with hopefully better results. I'm looking forward to it.

Master Critic

Post November 09, 2010, 11:35:51 AM

your book

Dear Word Nerd - your book looks like fun, if the excerpt on your webpage is any indicator. The story seems to have characters and scenes that are interesting - and the dialog and writing style is interesting. I look forward to reading other writings of yours in the future, here in the pages of Aphelion.

Commenter

Post November 09, 2010, 11:56:20 AM

Truce?

I appreciate the kind words about the book.

And I see you live in Louisville -- I'm right across the river (I actually work in Louisville). Perhaps someday our paths will cross and we can reminisce about the time we got into a stupid disagreement on the internet.

:D

Master Critic

Post November 09, 2010, 01:11:07 PM

Your book

Have you 'plugged your book' on our Forum page? Under 'Administrivia', here in the Forum, there's a thread called "Aphelion Writers Plug their Work" - you could put information about your book there, and the link.
PostScript: I know Budweiser is spelled wrong - I've just never changed it because I was drunk errrr drinking when I set up my avatar - and spelled it wrong. I trust that everyone who reads it takes it as a lesson about what can happen when a person gives into the sins of the fruit of the vine.

Long Fiction Editor

Post November 09, 2010, 04:24:58 PM

Well, that was -- interesting . . .

By looking at the preview available at Amazon, I now see the poem in context, as part of a larger work -- very nicely done, by the way, even though I'm not much of a fan of that genre. Maybe that's what caused bottomdweller's sudden reversal.

I've been amazed at times, seeing some of the unintended interpretations readers (myself included) place on the works presented to them, but bottomdweller's visceral reaction strikes me as having been out of proportion. I think it best to leave her to solve the mystery of that for herself.

Mr. Hampton, I salute your level-headedness in the face of bd's remarks, and look forward to more from you, both in story and commentary on the forum.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Commenter

Post November 09, 2010, 05:02:35 PM

I appreciate the post, and certainly there are no hard feelings toward BD or anyone.

I look forward to participating more in the future.

And call me Josh. Please! :D

Master Critic

Post November 10, 2010, 10:25:19 AM

I suppose a lot of things don't matter - as long as you are Carefree Wherever You May Be. 8)

Commenter

Post November 10, 2010, 10:37:34 AM

Looks like someone's done a little Chelsea research!

Return to September/October 2010