November by Philip Hamm

Tell us what you thought about the July 2007 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Editor Emeritus

Post July 10, 2007, 11:09:04 AM

November by Philip Hamm

In "Neuropol", Jason Runner's attempt to spread truth was noticed -- and punished. November" gives Runner (and the reader) a wider view of what is really happening in the world outside Runner's long-sealed apartment door. Runner wasn't the only one who knew that all the information available to the cocooned citizenry had been bowdlerized and edited to the benefit of the government ...

Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Master Critic

Post July 11, 2007, 11:25:54 PM

November by Philip Hamm

nice setup for a sequel at the end there, and very intriguing throughout. the building is a very much tangible actor in the story now, altho i suspect making the eventual departure into the outside world will prove a challenge for Mr. Hamm.

sure, November was a lot like the cave analogy and the matrix, but it worked well and has a most tenable atmosphere to it that guarantees we'll be back for more. loved the tantalizing tidbits of information that merely hint at the bigger picture. no info dump here!

however, Runner did get a bit preachy and aloof in the conversation with the guy. were i him i'd be a bit more confused and eager, probably too overwhelmed to get angry at this stranger who appeared Morpheus-like out of nowhere.

Editor Emeritus

Post July 12, 2007, 08:48:56 PM

Re: November by Philip Hamm

I've become more and more attached to this series as parts are added to the saga. I agree with Lee that it all sounds like a very Matrix-esque world.

The first two stories were more like introduction to the world and character. This one, at least, hints at being a much bigger yarn.

The only downside I can give it it is that while interesting is that it's a lot like a movie sequel--a filler story that gets you to the real cool story that will be made into the third movie. Things are set up, hints of what's really going on come out, characters begin to take their first steps toward the eventual confrontation or adventure, but not many big events happen.

Obviously, to Runner waking up is a big deal, but to me, it was just an opening movement. I needed to feel more tension build and be released to feel like this was an accomplishment that was worthy of being a separate story. Otherwise, I'd rather wait and read the whole saga after it's complete.

Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Master Critic

Post July 24, 2007, 06:32:00 AM

November by Philip Hamm

yep, just like Matrix Reloaded was mostly a set up for Revolutions.

Return to July 2007