My Salieri Complex By Marina Julia Neary

Tell us what you thought of the July/August issue!

Senior Critic

Post August 05, 2010, 03:49:28 AM

My Salieri Complex By Marina Julia Neary

A prequel to the Invisible Man. It's been a while since I read the Wells classic, but I didn't spot any major discontinuities between the two tales. I particularly liked the scene where, after Griffin's attack, the two masters are interrogating Kemp and one fails to see what the other one is implying.

Master Critic

Post August 24, 2010, 04:49:14 PM

My Salieri Complex

The thing that impressed me about this story was the way the tale was told. For instance: The introduction of Robert Louis Stevenson was a nice touch. The date 1884 is given, but this technique solidifies it.
There are a really nice studies in character. For instance, Samuel gets medical relief of a lung malady and decides to devote his life to treating ailments of the lungs. This is so true - people tend to study that which inflicts them.

The description of Griffin 6 paragraphs in was excellent.

Early in the story, Samuel has the oppoirtunity to overhear what people are saying about the odd Griffin, which is another nice story telling device.

The core of the story is the uneven relationship between the main characters. At first, Samuel blames Griffin for literally stealing his air. He becomes jealous to the point of bitterness. That is followed by outright rejection and then reconciliation of sorts, where Samuel admits to himself that he is spellbound by the other man. Griffin, my idol, my tormentor.

I thought the last paragraph was a little hurried, somehow - as if someone told the author "You have two minutes to finish that story."

I liked the complicated relationship between the two men that was apparent in the following quote:
"Jonathan, you'll kill yourself!"
"Don't let your hopes soar."

This is a story well worth reading. Excellent tale.
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Master Critic

Post August 24, 2010, 07:03:50 PM

Re: My Salieri Complex

bottomdweller wrote:The thing that impressed me about this story was . . . . . . . .

WOW! What a great story. From plot development to story line, everything about this story was absolutely perfect. Yeah, perfect.

Read some of my other posts, this month, if you think I'm just stroking the author. Not me. It's been a rough one, from a Critic's POV.

The Victorian tone--from my readings of Stevenson, Doyle and Wells--was executed without flaw.

But more than this, these characters came alive for me, if only for the moment.

One of the advantages of the First Person, is that the narrator can be wrong. Think about it. Limited Omniscience and Expository styles cannot--by definition--slant the story in any direction. FP is the way to go when you need to add perspective. The story's 'take' on what is going on can be entirely misplaced. And this is the strength of the story. Our Narrator had his own issues, but we come to see the importance of what is going on around him.

Did I mention 'Wow!'?

And the time 'n effort put into proofing this one also show with every missed opportunity to misspell, misword and/or screw-up.

Excellent. . .and worthy of the paying pulps, at least.

We don't get these kinds of stories very often at Aphelion (including my own.)

But it happens.

Okay folks. You want to read a really really good story with complex characters, some actual depth and breadth?

Read this one.

Bill Wolfe
"I am Susan Ivanova. . . .I am the Right Hand of Vengence. . .I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Master Critic

Post August 27, 2010, 10:32:28 AM

Excellent wrote story, and one that should be read and studied by all. Marina Julia Neary is a heavy-weight contender when it comes to writing!!

This story reminded me of A Shadow and a Flash by Jack London. Like this one, London’s story centered on two young men, and each developed the means of invisibility but through different approaches. London’s two characters were extreme rivals in everything including love for the same girl.

I agree with Bill Wolfe one hundred percent. Superb uses of the most important techniques of story-tell which leads to the reader being sucked into the story from beginning to end!

I agree with Bill’s take on the first-person, and realize how correct he is when he stated that the first-person can be wrong. I never thought about that before.

When I was younger, in the 50’s and 60’s, I liked Jules Verne, Jack London and Edgar Allen Poe, along with some others. It’s nice to read a story in their style, yet modern!

I think I'm going to copy some of her techniques!!

In some ways, she seems to be critiquing us! That's just a feeling that came over me as I finished my critique, and I can't really explain it!!

Great One!!! :D
Tesla Lives!!!

Long Fiction Editor

Post August 27, 2010, 11:48:50 AM

If I had to criticize anything about this story, I'd say it was maybe a little too heavy on internal conflict, and a little light on action . . . needs a little more balance between the two. That might just be my modern preference showing itself, though.

Still, it's an unusually fine achievement, from the characterization to the period voice and feel. The author really soaked herself in that stuff. I think that if this had been presented as a newly-discovered manuscript written by Wells himself, there'd be a lot of people lining up to agree.

I tend to harp a lot about character development and conflict (especially when I don't find enough of it in a story). And from what I've seen of the current markets, a lot of editors feel the same as I do: the term "character-driven" is pretty common in magazine submission guidelines these days. This story has both, in exceptional depth.

Outstanding, on all counts.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Return to July/August 2010