Bad Girls of Manga By McCamy Taylor

Tell us what you thought of the July/August issue!

Editor Emeritus

Post August 04, 2010, 08:32:00 PM

Bad Girls of Manga By McCamy Taylor

There was a snip that the US Military (!??) made a Manga as a diplomatic relations gesture.

Commenter

Post August 07, 2010, 07:50:21 PM

Warrior Women

Being of a conservative temperment, I would prefer that women should refrain from martial arts. It does not suit them, nor are they suited for combat. There are exceptions, of course, such as my mother.

Master Critic

Post August 08, 2010, 10:18:35 AM

women warriors

You sir are either baiting the readers, sadly misinformed, or afraid of strong women. Look into Japanese, Chinese and Persian women warrior history. (Joan de Arc western example)

I am taking the bait.

Due in part to the nature of "traditional" societies the role of women has been and continues to be one of suppression and marginalization. However those able to rise through the ties that bind, you will find a graet history.

What does that tell you about those who never made it. Look at at it like this:
In our society women scientists and engineers contribute to the steady progress. In societies where they are surpressed, think how much those societies are loosing in potential brain power alone.

Similarly, female combatants are just as ferocious as their counterparts and maybe even more so. denying those of them that have the skills and desire to be combatants only reduces the pool of highly talented and motivated defenders.

Hold on to our outdated views and limit your societies potential. If the Zorro moniker is an indication of your beliefs, you tell more than you imagine.

Sincerely,

Rick Tornello

I was going to insert Zorro the Gay Blade into the discussion, but that would be gay baiting as in the "don't ask, don't tell" debate.

Master Critic

Post August 08, 2010, 04:21:04 PM

Re: Warrior Women

Zorro wrote:Being of a conservative temperment, I would prefer that women should refrain from martial arts. It does not suit them, nor are they suited for combat. There are exceptions, of course, such as my mother.

As a practitioner of Aikido, I can say that I disagree to the opinion that women are not suited to martial arts. I know some women who could literally tear you apart.
"Even the straight arrow needs a crooked bow."
- Samani

jaimie l. elliott

[b:2o4dvkjg]Check out my website:[/b:2o4dvkjg]
http://www.jaimie.org/

Editor Emeritus

Post August 09, 2010, 01:32:48 PM

Re: women warriors

rick tornello wrote:...

Due in part to the nature of "traditional" societies the role of women has been and continues to be one of suppression and marginalization. However those able to rise through the ties that bind, you will find a great history.

Ties that bind indeed. Rick, were you using the pun of the Chinese custom of tying & binding the feet of Chinese women? Talk about social-breeding a custom designed to ensure slavery!

Meanwhile, someone give him a DVD set of Alias. Jennifer Garner might like a few words with you...

Master Critic

Post August 09, 2010, 02:31:20 PM

bound feet

in part, yes.
RT

Master Critic

Post August 09, 2010, 07:57:53 PM

women in martial arts

Okay, I'll jump in. Women who study the manly arts of self-defense improve their own lives. I've studied kick-boxing, I love spending time with the bag.
I asked an instructor on the West Coast: If someone is standing 6 feet in front of you with a gun, what good will knowing how to kick-box do? He told me, "If someone is standing in front of you with a gun pointed at you, you'd better the f**k do something." There are times in most women's life when they had better the f**k do something.
I was walking home in Seattle a few years back and I was approached by two men. The older one took the younger's arm and said, "Leave her alone, she's carrying a knife." "How do you know," asked the other. "By the way she carries herself." - That's why women should study the manly art of self defense, for their own protection.
In the same way, women should be educated for the same reason - to improve their own life first and foremost, to have their questions answered, to be given the universe to wander through.
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Master Critic

Post August 09, 2010, 10:09:17 PM

true story

2 friends married (to each other) karate instructors both and both petite, surrounded in NYC a bunch of years back, dragged the perps to the police car.

My daughter is back belt, and I studied Chinese arts for over 30 years. When she a little kid I spared with her from the get go. She may be tiny but don't cross her. We still "play", I get hurt. BTW she is also very "girlie" too, just don't fuck with her.

BTW ancient Spartan women were rather free thinkers and warriors too. They were not demur as the rest of the city state women were.

I love it. Toe to toe, mind to mind, heart to heart and body to body. What could be bad?

RT

Master Critic

Post August 09, 2010, 10:23:31 PM

one more thing, maybe a few more

Forgot t o mention, I was until recently a competition pistol shooter, ranked nationally. Weapons of choice: Pardini 45, Pardini 32, and FWB 93, shooting full course. I also bench rest.

Taught my niece to shoot and she boxes too. Wouldn't know it to look at her. Her dad taught her to handle herself, I taught her firearms.

She's sweet, beautiful, loving and capable of taking care of herself.

Which reminds me, that's the Theme in my book, GLORIA THE CHIPMUNK,

available on AMAZON. You will like it. Ask Bill!

RT

Editor Emeritus

Post August 10, 2010, 06:54:20 AM

Amazon Women

Obligatory Buffy reference!

Master Critic

Post August 10, 2010, 07:21:05 AM

BUFFY

???? what vampire?

Master Critic

Post August 10, 2010, 08:58:40 AM

For Jaimie:

As a practitioner of Aikido, I can say that I disagree to the opinion that women are not suited to martial arts. I know some women who could literally tear you apart.

unfortunately...me, too... :oops: when I had practice at Jet kun Do many years ago, there were two young women who were faster and much better at martial arts than myself...or probably it was me as I was slower...eh,eh...only my master at that time was capable of beating them..
Anyway, after he broke his hand during a tournament nothing was the same...his sport career was going to end, as it happens in such cirmustances when dealing with martial arts( he became a bodyguard afterwards...)...but the two women- he had taught before...- kept on winning, of course...eh,eh :D I never surpassed their skills indeed...eh,eh :oops: :D

Editor Emeritus

Post August 10, 2010, 11:25:30 AM

Re: BUFFY

rick tornello wrote: what vampire?

No. Buffy. The Slayer of Vamps. Obligatory entry in a discussion of Women Who Use Martial Arts.

P.S. What style did she use?
Last edited by TaoPhoenix on August 10, 2010, 11:28:39 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Editor Emeritus

Post August 10, 2010, 11:28:06 AM

ente per ente wrote:
Anyway, after he broke his hand during a tournament nothing was the same...

This is why I actually retired from martial arts. It's a nice concept to be able to defend yourself, but when you're in more danger from sparring than actual life, it stops being fun. I live in quiet areas, and haven't felt threatened by anything in 20 years.

Return to July/August 2010