Call for Dave by Dave Weaver

Tell us what you thought of the June 2010 issue!

Senior Critic

Post June 22, 2010, 09:53:05 PM

Call for Dave by Dave Weaver

The end of this tale seems to be missing. If not, we must conclude that Dave must have lost his tinfoil hat and gotten a prescription for some lithium to get rid of the future voice in his head.

gino

Editor Emeritus

Post June 23, 2010, 12:29:40 AM

Which means, of course, that we're all doomed

UNAUTHORIZED TRANSTEMPORAL TELEPATHIC CONTACT DETECTED
INITIATING NEURAL TACHYON DISRUPTION PULSE
CONTACT TERMINATED
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Critic

Post June 23, 2010, 06:01:11 AM

Missing links et al.

gino_ss wrote:The end of this tale seems to be missing.

Robert_Moriyama wrote:CONTACT TERMINATED

While the fact that the story as presented ends as it starts, with quotation marks and a dash in midsentence, might be sufficient indication that it might be complete as presented, what might be a tad bit confusing is the lack of the usual end-of-page infrastructure for stories.

Master Critic

Post June 23, 2010, 08:12:28 AM

Nothing Missing. . .

I liked this one. Short and sweet.

Don't forget, you're only schizophrenic if the voices aren't real.

I thought the structure of the story added to the element of urgency and desperation that the call to some stranger in the past. . .to please go and kill someone you've never met. . .represents.

The mid-sentence start and finish were merely artifacts of this stylistic approach.

"The voices in my head told me to do it," defense is common enough to make anyone wonder if maybe there is something else going on. I thought the dialogue, though admittedly one-sided, had the flavor of a 'real' person, making a real plea to a total stranger. The word ‘arsehole’ comes to mind.

I thought it interesting that the author left the ending up for interpretation. My first impression wasn't that the Gummint' shut them down, but he had finally said enough that Dave would act--in some way--to terminate the entire timeline that the call was coming from.

There is no 'right' or 'wrong' when it comes to changing the past. Dave could have cogitated over this for years before acting, and yet the moment when the caller had 'gotten though' would be the moment his timeline might end.

Food for thought and consternation. Very cool in such a brief piece.

Bill Wolfe
"I am Susan Ivanova. . . .I am the Right Hand of Vengence. . .I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Long Fiction Editor

Post June 25, 2010, 11:52:20 PM

Really cool . . . I've seen an ending done somewhat like this before -- once, I think. Very rare, very effective.

Now . . . if Dave acts as instructed, will he still remember the voice?
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Master Critic

Post June 26, 2010, 05:32:34 PM

Dave

Okay, Lester, that is my concern - obviously it did not work, or else there would have been noone there who needed to call for help.
And Bill, I know you weren't crazy about this science. Come on - it's 15 years from now and we have the ability to create a wormhole to send back (not even an object) thoughts? And everyone's mind has given itself up to brain control?
This is an interesting tale - it rather reminds me of (sigh) LOST (eery tones) - but the whole artificial wormhole thing in 15 years from now threw me off. If there are wormholes, it will take another century to get to it, another 50 years to control or ride them, and three hundred years after that to produce one artificially. By that time, what passes as English will be totally different than we know it now, so how would the mind in the now understand the mind in the future.
Beyond that, Dave passed out, had a good nights sleep (even in this flippin heat), and woke up the next morning and went to work. My grampa used to dream he saw angels dancing at the foot of the bed when he was drunk, but that doesn't mean he went to church and turned his life around the next day.
Better to leave the whole worm-hole thing out and just bypass the 'science'.
Stephen King did the whole 'mobile phone as Satan' trip in Cell, by the way.
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Master Critic

Post June 28, 2010, 02:26:02 PM

Re: Dave

bottomdweller wrote: Okay, Lester, that is my concern - obviously it did not work, or else there would have been noone there who needed to call for help.

Bottomdweller,

Not necessarily. There are several schools of thought as to how the Paradox might manifest itself. The future mind control reality is just as real as what replaced it, up to the point where the past was changed to destroy it.

bottomdweller wrote: And Bill, I know you weren't crazy about this science. Come on - it's 15 years from now and we have the ability to create a wormhole to send back (not even an object) thoughts? And everyone's mind has given itself up to brain control? . . . . .If there are wormholes, it will take another century to get to it, another 50 years to control or ride them, and three hundred years after that to produce one artificially. By that time, what passes as English will be totally different than we know it now, so how would the mind in the now understand the mind in the future.

Actually, once the mind control kicks in, our current development process for all kinds of science could be turbocharged. No wasted time on politics, wars, football, Dancing With The Stars and episodes of LOST. . . Now that could be a productive society. Don’t forget. . .the science in the near-term stories is always a little dodgy.

It’s only when the science goes completely contra to what we’re pretty sure we know is true, that I pull out my handy soap box. Years ago someone wrote a story where using rockets, someone went to the speed of light and then just basically goosed the engine and ‘broke the time barrier.’ I almost blew a gasket arguing that on the FORUM, till the guy started comparing himself to Galileo with me as the Inquisition (NOBODY EXPECTS THE INQUISITION!!). . .so I simply had him killed. Much easier, that way.

bottomdweller wrote: My grampa used to dream he saw angels dancing at the foot of the bed when he was drunk, but that doesn't mean he went to church and turned his life around the next day.

You mean they’re not real?

Besides, he doesn’t actually have to kill the guy to change the timeline. Maybe he just finds him, talks to him, tells him the story. . .and the future is now much much worse.

Bill Wolfe
"I am Susan Ivanova. . . .I am the Right Hand of Vengence. . .I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Return to June 2010