Cigar by Lester Curtis

Tell us what you thought of the June 2010 issue!

Master Critic

Post June 22, 2010, 12:31:59 PM

Cigar by Lester Curtis

This poem works on so many levels. It’s science fiction for sure, as the person he’s talking with ‘shakes out his feathers. It’s a tale of love – how relationships evolve – beginning, middle, the ending oftentimes taking place far from each other. It's a tale of remembering, of the past being close enough to feel its breath on your neck.

Small details like the Ephemis Class ship being the last one built on Earth are very nice. I like that – the love of a well-built machine – I have a Cutlass Supreme I’m in love with, I don’t know why, it just is.

Iced tea is another nice detail – what a traveler might take with them as a comfort.

The sense of smell is often overlooked, but it can be a powerful boost to the memory, ergo, the cigar.

Wisdom knows the difference between fact and what is true. Nicely done, Lester.
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Master Critic

Post June 22, 2010, 04:16:57 PM

Lester's poem

very nice Lester, Very Nice.

A little concrete over that hole won't work either.

Richard

Master Critic

Post June 23, 2010, 08:24:14 AM

Lester's poem

Excellent finish, Lester.

When you first put this out, I was baffled as to how to end it. I'm glad you did.

Curious: Did you get any useful input from the folks on the 'zine, or was this all from your muddled old noggin? Either way, it really does work.

Very touching.

Bill Wolfe
"I am Susan Ivanova. . . .I am the Right Hand of Vengence. . .I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Long Fiction Editor

Post June 23, 2010, 11:35:00 AM

Thanks, Bill. I did get a little help from that email exchange, but I don't recall too much specifically. I know I had been thinking of including something about insurance, and someone suggested not to.

A little concrete over that hole won't work either.
Uh, Rick? What's this? (Thanks, btw.)

Bottomdweller, I'm glad you like it. One of the things I enjoy is seeing how people view things. You see:

Small details like the Ephemis Class ship being the last one built on Earth are very nice. I like that – the love of a well-built machine –

I look at "the last two ever built on Earth," and I ask, why was this thing being discontinued? Did they go out of business because of a lousy reputation? Were these the only things the guy could afford? She did die in a crash, after all . . . life is tough out there . . .

I did want to mention that the formatting got a little bollixed . . . the last line of each verse was supposed to be indented. Also, the first line of the fourth verse should read, "We have a partnership in trading esoteric goods,"

Thanks for the comments.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Master Critic

Post June 23, 2010, 01:10:12 PM

Concrete over the hole

in one's heart,

Long Fiction Editor

Post June 23, 2010, 08:49:23 PM

in one's heart,
Ah, got it.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Return to June 2010