Nightwatch: The Kindness of Strangers (Part Two) By Jeff Wil

Tell us what you thought about the May 2010 issue!

Long Fiction Editor

Post May 18, 2010, 01:38:41 AM

Nightwatch: The Kindness of Strangers (Part Two) By Jeff Wil

I don't know why these get so few comments . . . maybe because they are what they are, and that's that.

I'm not sure what to make of the metaphysical aspect of this story . . . it seems a little out of place, but it worked.

Jeff needs to learn a little more about guns. In this installment, at the end, Simon is carrying a .380 in his pocket, and flicks the safety off with the gun still in his pocket.

For one thing, .380 seems too anemic a caliber for someone like Simon, but carrying a semi-auto pistol in a pocket (when it should be in a holster -- even a pocket holster) with the safety off is a recipe for disaster, as in shooting oneself in the leg. Standard procedure is to acquire the target before removing the safety.

I can't access last month's issue to check, but I believe that in Part One of this story, Simon was threatening Callow with a .44 Magnum, and flicked the safety off on that one. Although there are exceptions, the .44 Mag is a caliber usually found in revolvers, which don't ordinarily have safeties on them.

Here's a link for your firearms research:

http://thehighroad.org/

Oh, one other thing -- Callow needs to be killed, preferably in a way that leaves him screaming for his mommy until his last breath and/or drop of blood -- just make sure he stays dead.

Senior Editor

Post May 18, 2010, 11:51:54 AM

Re: Nightwatch: The Kindness of Strangers (Part Two) By Jeff

Resident firearms collector and unofficial consultant for the Nightwatch series. I'll field this one, Jeff. :)

Lester Curtis wrote:Jeff needs to learn a little more about guns. In this installment, at the end, Simon is carrying a .380 in his pocket, and flicks the safety off with the gun still in his pocket.

For one thing, .380 seems too anemic a caliber for someone like Simon, but carrying a semi-auto pistol in a pocket (when it should be in a holster -- even a pocket holster) with the safety off is a recipe for disaster, as in shooting oneself in the leg. Standard procedure is to acquire the target before removing the safety.

As I recall, in that scene the .380 was chosen for its ability to be concealed. While most designs for the .380 are indeed unsafe to carry around in a pocked with a round in the chamber- whether the safety is on or not - there are a few models from major manufacturers that do have all the necessary safety features to make this type of carry possible. Taurus, Colt, and Beretta for example. I own a Taurus .380 as well as a Davis Industries .380 and if Simon had been restricted to the Davis, he would indeed risk shooting himself merely by having the pistol in his pocket.

The anemia of the .380 round can be addressed by the use of Hydra-Shock ammo from the Federal Ammunition company. These are more powerful than normal roundnose bullets, have a huge hollow-point cavity with a central spike inside that keeps the bullet spinning more stably than ordinary rounds.

I can't access last month's issue to check, but I believe that in Part One of this story, Simon was threatening Callow with a .44 Magnum, and flicked the safety off on that one. Although there are exceptions, the .44 Mag is a caliber usually found in revolvers, which don't ordinarily have safeties on them.

There are several models of .44 magnum semi-auto pistols on the market now. I own a Desert Eagle .44, myself. It weighs 4.5 pounds, *unloaded!* Its a huge chunk of iron, accurate to 100 yards in skilled hands, 50 yards in the hands of someone who is used to shooting pistols but not this one in particular. Other notable manufacturer are Auto-Mag & Wildley, as I recall.

Vila

Long Fiction Editor

Post May 18, 2010, 10:05:50 PM

As I recall, in that scene the .380 was chosen for its ability to be concealed.
Lots of more powerful guns are quite concealable; lots of 9mm's and some .38's, and I think someone even makes a tiny .45 ACP, though no one likes to shoot it. I think my choice would be a Ruger LCR. Revolvers have the advantage of being able to be fired from inside a coat pocket, if you don't mind replacing the coat.

The anemia of the .380 round can be addressed by the use of Hydra-Shock ammo
I've heard that those don't perform up to their hype . . . Remington makes their Golden Saber in .380 . . . upon expansion, the jacket opens up into a six-petaled flower shape, with extremely sharp points and edges, emulating the blades in a food processor . . . better expansion also, I believe -- I saw an expansion comparison chart somewhere.

Actually, I'm a little disappointed that no one jumped in to say, "Hey, James Bond used a .25 caliber Beretta!" Bond was a snake, though; he could be within arm's reach of his target before pulling the trigger. :wink:

Production Editor

Post May 19, 2010, 03:15:29 PM

Gun

Also, the weapon Simon used in 1939 was period appropriate, and he didn't necessarily have access to any of them newfangled fancy shootin' irons. :)

--Jeff Williams

Return to May 2010