The Ultimate Experiment By Walt Trizna

Tell us what you thought about the May 2010 issue!

Long Fiction Editor

Post May 17, 2010, 10:36:36 PM

The Ultimate Experiment By Walt Trizna

I don't quite know why, but this one just fell flat for me . . .

Master Critic

Post May 18, 2010, 01:49:31 PM

Ultimate

I had one point of contention right off. I believe the basic idea of "a pattern of order" is in error. I find that lives in turmoil or confusion are often more cohesive and focused than are pleasant lives of being nice. If any souls do survive after death, I could see the 'evil' souls, or those out for revenge, surviving as an entity easier than the 'good' ones.
I know the author had to address 'hell' if they were addressing 'heaven', but the author missed the mark on this.
Also, people aren't born good or bad - under the right envirnoment any creature will turn angry and lash out. Therefore, all patterns of energy which enter Nirvana (for instance) or the 'one soul' would find acceptance and redeem their lives.
I liked the idea of testing life-after-death. It's an old search, but we're all curious about it.
I thought the ending was well played. I can see how a mathematician would find the perfect formula beautiful, or a scientist would have his own idea of beauty. This story didn't 'shimmer', but I thought it was solid.
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Editor Emeritus

Post May 19, 2010, 08:18:21 AM

Re: Order

bottomdweller wrote:I had one point of contention right off. I believe the basic idea of "a pattern of order" is in error. I find that lives in turmoil or confusion are often more cohesive and focused than are pleasant lives of being nice.

Can I give Bottomdweller all the disorder in my life? She apparently likes it/can handle it. Except a little artistic clutter, I like my life in order. Then again, watching 5 straight seasons of Monk in a month on DVD had an effect...

Master Critic

Post May 19, 2010, 03:15:23 PM

my 2 cents

A few comments other than I enjoyed it.

To me reading is relaxing, rewarding and sometimes infuriating depending upon the subject . That said this one is the stuff of good fantasy and wonder.

BTW re short stories, many times, most times, I start at the ending. If I like it and it intrigues me, I read it in paragraph reverse to see how it was built. I went both ways on this one.

It didn't ruin the ending.

Thanks for the story.

RT

Senior Critic

Post May 19, 2010, 07:46:48 PM

Well done. I read it twice.

Will there be a scramble of mediums and mentalists to see who will be first to bring a neutrino detedtor to the seance table?

gino

Master Critic

Post May 20, 2010, 09:58:58 AM

Mediums

As far as TaoPhoenix: I think I'm right that a medium would be able to reach an angry, unhappy spirit - instead of a being of peaceful harmony. Of course, ghosts don't exist, silly. But if they did - Adolf Hitler would be better prey than Aunt Bea, because they won't go gently in to that good night. The more violent the death, the more likely there is to be mental path to the spirit on the other side, with ethral energy oozing out like blood from an open wound. AHHHH! I scared myself!
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Critic

Post May 21, 2010, 12:25:29 PM

Grand Unification theories

Taking String Theories one step further: unifying physics and metaphysics. An interesting concept. And a satisfactory conclusion in this context.

Still I have some problems with the concept of dimensions and alternate universes as presented in the story: Take a sheet of paper and ignore for the moment that it has any thickness. What is left are height and width: two dimensions. I'd like to take this sheet of paper as a model of a two-dimensional universe. Now add a third dimension: Put that sheet of paper on your desk. Put another on top. And another. Create a whole stack. This creates quite a lot of parallel (two-dimensional) universes.

Similarly,stating with a three-dimensional universe it takes only one single additional dimension to obtain a whole bundle of three-dimensional universes.

Thus using nine dimensions to obtain a measly three universes seems kind of overkill.

Also, the way heaven is portrayed seems a bit too one dimensional for my taste.

Master Critic

Post May 21, 2010, 02:14:59 PM

MULTIVERSES

There was an article in Scientific American on this subject some time back w/in the last 12 months??? Cover article ???

Very interesting

Long Fiction Editor

Post May 22, 2010, 10:13:07 PM

This may be topic drift, but I just lately learned a new way to think about what constitutes a dimension.

Start with a point, of course -- zero dimensions -- then stretch it out into a line -- one dimension. You only need one piece of information to describe your location on that line.

Bend that line into a curve and join the ends to form a circle. Is it now two-dimensional? No, because you can still describe the location of any point on it with only one piece of information.

Now consider a sphere . . . is that three-dimensional? No, it's two-dimensional, because you can find any point on its surface using only latitude and longitude (we're talking only about surfaces here, not the volumes within them). I like this one especially, because in my sci-fi universe, all starship courses are plotted by altitude and azimuth.

So, the dimensionality of a thing is described by the number of pieces of information you need in order to find a location on or in it. Welcome to topology.

Check it out:

http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/coursedescl ... x?cid=1460

Return to May 2010