Thanks A lot

Tell us what you thought of the February 2010 issue.

Commenter

Post February 23, 2010, 03:42:15 PM

Thanks A lot

I just thought that I would say thanks a lot for including my story, The Sword in Zoe's Hand as one of the best of 2009. I thought that was cool.--Gary W. Feather :D

Editor Emeritus

Post February 23, 2010, 03:54:08 PM

You're welcome

But seriously, kenjutsu and zombies and survivor's guilt -- what's not to like?
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Master Critic

Post February 24, 2010, 08:56:18 AM

Re: You're welcome

Robert_Moriyama wrote:But seriously, kenjutsu and zombies and survivor's guilt -- what's not to like?

How about throwing your female competition to the zombies? And all for some worthless (and already dead, btw,) guy?.

I mean, there are few enough live humans around and you're going to do that? It added a lot of depth to Zoe's character, the kind that didn't make me like her.

You have to respect that from the author. It's tough to make your protag act like a real ass just to add some dimension. I've never been able to do it, myself. I tried once, but kept justifying the Bad Act. I ended-up cutting the whole episode.

2000 words, or so.

Gone. Eraased.

I just couldn't do it.

We're talking about killing someone. . .actually KILLING someone, just because you didn't want to have to compete with them for some mediocre POTOS (Person Of The Opposite Sex.)

I haven't read this story since it was out, but I really didn't like the character after that one little episode. That she redeemed herself by stopping the demonic zombie maker, made almost no difference to me when it came to my opinion of the kind of person we were dealing with.

Ain't that what stories are supposed to do? I've put way too many brain cells to work over what I learned about writing from The Sword In Zoe's Hand. It was quite a lesson. Depth is depth. Make your 'good' character do something really. . .and I mean really bad. Then let them make up for it in some way. It will make your story much more memorable.

Why couldn't the guy just have both of them?

(Did I write that out loud?)

Bill Wolfe
"I am Susan Ivanova. . . .I am the Right Hand of Vengence. . .I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Return to February 2010