The Rebound Effect by Roderick D. Turner

Tell us what you thought of the February 2010 issue.

Editor Emeritus

Post February 20, 2010, 11:35:11 PM

The Rebound Effect by Roderick D. Turner

I liked this story. It is a fluid time travel tale that keeps you on your toes with paradoxes galore. Characters are well developed and the writing style is superior. Very well done.

Hero

stu

Junior Critic

Post February 22, 2010, 01:20:53 PM

I quite like this one two, though I do have a couple of thoughts for possible improvements:

Time travel stories are notoriously difficult to get the pacing and foreshadowing bits right in, but it's essential. A couple of moments here seem slightly unbalanced because things pop out of nowhere.

The other point is that you do a lot with the story. Possibly too much given the short space you have. You've got the discovery of an ability, and a love interest, and some unspecified baddies, along with a bit of a plot twist with the "they were using her as bait all along" angle. The real danger in time travel stories is losing a sense of continuity of story when we lose continuity of time.

Other than that though, I liked it.

Master Critic

Post February 26, 2010, 11:26:10 AM

I liked the intro! It reminded me of the old detective stories where a Humphrey Bogart type character would say in his office: “That Dame reminded me of a Red Headed fire cracker...she stood like the Statue of Liberty for moment before shutting the door....”

Just had to get that one in-----I loved the intro!!

I loved this story! Loved everything about it! Maybe I’m partial for this story because I love out of time stories, storied that logically jump back in time, then forward in time, love stories across time, etc. To understand my partiality, at one time I worshiped Slaughterhouse-Five
by Kurt Vonnegut. To this day I still love it, and I read it around 1970 or a little later if memory serves me right.

Beyond saying how much I loved it, I can’t critique this story fairly since, as I said before, I just love these stories.

I-Just-Plain-Loved-It :D
Tesla Lives!!!

Master Critic

Post February 26, 2010, 12:50:41 PM

A good, solid story. A tricky topic to write, so the fact that my head wasn't swimming at the end speaks to the skill of the writer.

Only a few quibbles:

1. I thought the beginning a bit rushed. The plot jumped forward from when he was seventeen to four years later.

2. Why would you bring a baseball bat and chain to take care of someone who time travels? Wouldn't a gun (or some other quicker, near-instantaneous method) have worked better?

3. His falling in love at first sight was a bit odd. Then again, sillier things have happened.

Overall, I enjoyed this one.
"Even the straight arrow needs a crooked bow."
- Samani

jaimie l. elliott

[b:2o4dvkjg]Check out my website:[/b:2o4dvkjg]
http://www.jaimie.org/

Long Fiction Editor

Post February 26, 2010, 01:29:46 PM

Good job.

I liked the part where the guy goes home and finds a note that he left for himself, then burns it and finds the ashes of previous notes. This little detail put me right into his head -- "What did I write before? How many times have I done this? And what the hell should I do next??!"

The place where this story fell down for me was the ability itself -- how does someone develop or find this? Actually, though, I think the author was smart to not try to explain it.

Senior Critic

Post February 27, 2010, 02:10:34 PM

I do enjoy time tripping tales, and this one is no exception. I had to read it a second time to get all the jumps in order.

I would liked to seen more about the predators. Who were they? Why did they feel threatened? Were they agents of a cosmic time police force?

Megawatts's mention of Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five reminded me of an old DVD favorite of mine. Especially the scene where the unstuck-in-time protagonist Billy Pilgrim comes to in a snowbank after a plane crash muttering "schlachthof funf."

A nicely told tale.

gino

Return to February 2010