Hermesian Parameters by Kim Rush

Tell us what you thought of the December issue!

Editor Emeritus

Post January 18, 2010, 05:19:49 PM

Hermesian Parameters by Kim Rush

"Death is only the beginning"
(tagline for "The Mummy" (Brendan Fraser/Arnold Vosloo version)

The question is, the beginning of what?

Go. Read. Comment.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Commenter

Post February 01, 2010, 04:41:43 PM

Death?

This is a tight piece of writing that puts the reader into the same pickle as the protagonist. In one way we are all in the same pickle, facing death since the day we were born, but it's interesting that the peace Archibald prayed for came in the form of being a somewhat limited god inside of a kind of womb. And peace, of course, is so persistently temporary.

"...Hermes, the god of eloquence, boundaries, crossing boundaries, thieves, and above all, a god of pranks. A risky god who also was charged to guide the dead. Archibald liked that humanness of the Ancient Greek gods. "Okay, Hermes, give me a break, change my luck and give my language power," Archibald said aloud, and with a touch of a finger broke the phone connection.
"Give me peace," Archibald said..."

The narrator allows that "The Stiff" does finally become the thing after which he has been dubbed, but the story of Archibald only ends in tears. Like in dreams, it seems impossible to die. I think readers are left to their own conjectures of what is next, or if "next" exists at all.
Be you faun, cyclops or heads of two
A gate awaits in Leprechaun Zoo

Master Critic

Post February 03, 2010, 09:03:21 AM

Re: Hermesian Parameters by Kim Rush

I had to re-read this one to make a comment.

This being said, I remember now what I liked about it.

Mostly, this is the most sensorally evocative piece of literature that I've read in ages.

Just a hint:

"Archibald tried to stab a cluster of hash browns with the flimsy plastic fork, but the tines spread away from the crispy, brown potatoes. He scooped some up into his mouth."

As a devotee of the God of WaffleHouse. . .I know where he's coming from.

In any case. . .this is good imagery. . .emulate, steal and/or appropriate this kind of thing. It adds to the story in way that it is difficult to describe.

IMHO, it is the true stength of this piece.

Everything from the iced tea to the feel of the sand on your skin to the smell of the ocean is covered in this story.

A little confusing, perhaps, but the sensations are perfect.

Read. . .listen. . .learn.

Bill Wolfe
"I am Susan Ivanova. . . .I am the Right Hand of Vengence. . .I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Return to December 2009