where one is heading

Tell us what you thought about the October 2009 issue.

Master Critic

Post November 08, 2009, 07:29:54 PM

where one is heading

I found this on google. So I'm not exactly sure which "owl" you are referring to.

Owl - Pagan Symbol of Wisdom

© Jill Stefko
Jan 9, 2008
Great Horned Owl, http://www.morguefile.com/archive/?display=191907&
Most Pagans believed Owl imparted the ability to see through deception and bestowed psychic awareness. Others believed she was an omen of misfortune and death.

Owl has been thought of as mysterious mainly because she’s nocturnal, flies silently, has sharp eyesight and hearing and attacks her prey swiftly. Those who fear her have thoughts of her presaging doom. People who admire her think of insight and knowledge.
Owl The Raptor

Owls, with the exception of the great grey owl, are nocturnal predators. Because their thick feathers have soft edges, flight is silent, allowing them to pounce on their prey without warning. These birds have the sharpest night vision of all animals. Their hearing is extremely keen.

These carnivores, closely related to hawks, are found on every continent except Antarctica. They have two styles of hunting. One is to perch on a branch of a tree, waiting for prey and, when spotted, suddenly striking. The other is flying near the ground to hunt for quarry.

Owls’ prey includes other birds, rodents, frogs, insects and fish. Large ones will also hunt foxes, weasels and fawns. These birds have no significant predators.
Celtic Owl Tradition

Cailleach-oidhche, Owl, represents wisdom, stealth, initiation, change and detachment. She is associated with arcane lore, clairvoyance, seeking deeper knowledge and death as a new beginning. Owl is aware of her surroundings at all times, has great intuition and the courage to follow her instincts. She offers keen insight into obscure occurrences, a bringer of hidden truth, omens and secrets. She is the power animal of psychics.

Editor Emeritus

Post November 12, 2009, 02:47:40 PM

Meter?

Some fantastic imagery snips here.

However, since poems are supposed to be tighter than stories per word count, this one feels almost like a draft. I know about the Repetition effect, but it feels like the author was debating two schemes and forgot to remove one of them.

Commenter

Post February 16, 2010, 08:06:25 PM

Re: where one is heading

rick tornello wrote:I found this on google. So I'm not exactly sure which "owl" you are referring to.

Owl - Pagan Symbol of Wisdom

© Jill Stefko
Jan 9, 2008
Great Horned Owl, http://www.morguefile.com/archive/?display=191907&
Most Pagans believed Owl imparted the ability to see through deception and bestowed psychic awareness. Others believed she was an omen of misfortune and death.

Owl has been thought of as mysterious mainly because she’s nocturnal, flies silently, has sharp eyesight and hearing and attacks her prey swiftly. Those who fear her have thoughts of her presaging doom. People who admire her think of insight and knowledge.
Owl The Raptor

Owls, with the exception of the great grey owl, are nocturnal predators. Because their thick feathers have soft edges, flight is silent, allowing them to pounce on their prey without warning. These birds have the sharpest night vision of all animals. Their hearing is extremely keen.

These carnivores, closely related to hawks, are found on every continent except Antarctica. They have two styles of hunting. One is to perch on a branch of a tree, waiting for prey and, when spotted, suddenly striking. The other is flying near the ground to hunt for quarry.

Owls’ prey includes other birds, rodents, frogs, insects and fish. Large ones will also hunt foxes, weasels and fawns. These birds have no significant predators.
Celtic Owl Tradition

Cailleach-oidhche, Owl, represents wisdom, stealth, initiation, change and detachment. She is associated with arcane lore, clairvoyance, seeking deeper knowledge and death as a new beginning. Owl is aware of her surroundings at all times, has great intuition and the courage to follow her instincts. She offers keen insight into obscure occurrences, a bringer of hidden truth, omens and secrets. She is the power animal of psychics.

I was referring to a place located in San Francisco known as the Bohemian Grove where many politicans and business leaders go on vacation. There's a giant stone owl in front of an altar where they sacrifice dull care by burning him in effigy. It seems to be loosely based on the forest in the play A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare as the entrance reads "Weaving spiders come not here." This was part of the lullaby used to sing the Fairy Queen Titania to sleep. Congress is also located in the belly of an owl if you look at the building from an overheard map.
Everything is poetry. It's just a matter of whether or not you can see it.

Commenter

Post February 16, 2010, 08:11:39 PM

Re: Meter?

TaoPhoenix wrote:Some fantastic imagery snips here.

However, since poems are supposed to be tighter than stories per word count, this one feels almost like a draft. I know about the Repetition effect, but it feels like the author was debating two schemes and forgot to remove one of them.

Its rare to find me using a consistent meter as I've found that a varied meter is closer to human speech than iamabic pentameter, so you'll often find me switching between different meters from line to line.
Everything is poetry. It's just a matter of whether or not you can see it.

Return to October 2009