The Lost Clones of Sakomoto Hero by McCamy Taylor

Tell us what you thought of the August 2009 issue

Master Critic

Post August 16, 2009, 01:15:57 PM

The Lost Clones of Sakomoto Hero by McCamy Taylor

I started this story realizing it would be longer reading than I'm use to and found it highly interesting and a must finish story. So I am printing it up, nearly 12,000 words over 25 pages and will break the traditional starting only quick reads and will read it as I have breaks throughout my day. I am looking forward to it and my wife wants it when I am finished.

I plan to comment afterwards.

It looks very interesting!

Mark

Master Critic

Post August 18, 2009, 10:59:42 AM

Fantastic Read!

McCamy,

My wife Valerie has read your story, devoured it and said that it was absolutely wonderful! She said it had her attention from the very beginning. Well written, flows well. She commented it was of the caliber of her favorite authors Robin Cook and Patricia Cornwell.

She marveled over the pictures of settings that were well painted, so much so, that she could see the instances, places and people vividly in her mind's eye.

She said she would definitely like to see this as a full length novel!

I will say of her that she is an avid reader who knows what she likes.

One of the things I personally liked especially was the dream of the giant jellyfish that transitioned into big sloppy licks from a German Shepherd. I can relate with two lovable Boxer dogs, who can't share enough their excitement over the little things in life.

Well done McCamy!

Mark

Editor Emeritus

Post August 19, 2009, 11:53:54 PM

Tell your wife thank you!

I think I mention in the blurb that this is a companion piece to "Study in Silicon" about the AI, Mycroft. That one was loosely modeled on "Study in Scarlet", meaning that I always planned it as a series of shorter tales revolving around Mycroft. I expect I will do more stories in the series, rather than working them into a single novel.

Master Critic

Post August 20, 2009, 10:37:01 AM

Avid Fan!

Well in Valerie, you have an avid fan. She wants to read everything she can get her hands on of your work. I will have time this weekend and can begin reading more of this story.

Can you provide links to the two stories you mentioned, "Study in Silicon" and "Study in Scarlet" so she can read those as well? Having checked the archives, I found a host of other stories of yours which I will print up for her to read. She often read stories she likes two or three times.

One day she may start the McCamy Taylor fan club!

Mark

Editor Emeritus

Post August 20, 2009, 03:14:01 PM

Here is a google link to "A Study in Silicon" the first Mycroft story.

http://www.aphelion-webzine.com/shorts/ ... licon.html

"A Study in Scarlet" was Conan Doyle's first Sherlock Holmes story. That is where I get the title for mine. Mycroft is Sherlock's smarter older brother, who has the quirk that he solves mysteries long distance, via hearing about them, because he never leaves his club. Mycroft the AI also solves mysteries "long distance".

For those who have never read Conan Doyle, here is a link to "A Study in Scarlet" online.

http://etext.virginia.edu/toc/modeng/pu ... yScar.html

Editor Emeritus

Post August 21, 2009, 12:28:56 PM

Re: Avid Fan!

Mark Edgemon wrote:Well in Valerie, you have an avid fan. She wants to read everything she can get her hands on of your work. I will have time this weekend and can begin reading more of this story.
One day she may start the McCamy Taylor fan club!

Mark

Although I let it lapse, I may have Prior Art on the "MC Taylor" Fan Club! Check out some of my folders reviewing older stories.

Is that a sign of good writing, that someone wants to read vertically down your backlist? There are few writers I put in that category. I had a good time finding those when I first fluttered my way to Aphelizone.

Master Critic

Post August 21, 2009, 09:33:52 PM

Re: Avid Fan!

TaoPhoenix wrote: Is that a sign of good writing, that someone wants to read vertically down your backlist? There are few writers I put in that category. I had a good time finding those when I first fluttered my way to Aphelizone.

I would say so. When a story lingers in one's mind or there is a strong desire by a reader to read whatever they can find by an author, that would prove one is a good writer as far as I'm concerned.

The first book Valerie read by Robin Cook had her ask me to look up all the books he had written to date and print out the list. She then went to a used bookstore and bought them over time and has read everyone. She is a serious reader! Then it was Patricia Cornwell and now it's McCamy Taylor.

By the way, thank you McCamy for the link to your companion story. I will print that up tonight along with the rest of your stories in the archives.

You have found an audience here!

Mark

Master Critic

Post August 23, 2009, 10:42:25 AM

Literary Library

McCamy,

Well I've printed all of your literary works that I could find, including the story you have published this month, "The Lost Clones of Sakomoto Hero" the story "A Study in Silicon" and the interview with Jeff Williams, along with all of your archived stories for a total of 39 written works.

Valerie wanted be to tell you on her behalf she truly appreciates being able to have access to your literature and will enjoy reading them for weeks to come. I really wanted to do this for her, because she loves to read so and it lites up her spirit to have your works to look forward to.

Mark

Editor Emeritus

Post August 24, 2009, 01:14:14 PM

Re: Bought...

Mark Edgemon wrote:...

The first book Valerie read by Robin Cook had her ask me to look up all the books he had written to date and print out the list. She then went to a used bookstore and bought them over time and has read every one...

Mark

The second or third book I read by Robin Cook tagged him for me in my "Bucket Books" list. (The list of books I hope to read before I kck the bucket".

Then I went to a used book store and bought about ten, cleaning out the shelf. : )

(I think I hear Billy Joel playing, "Why do I go to extremes?" The answer: "Everything in moderation, except moderation.")

Master Critic

Post August 25, 2009, 05:41:42 AM

Re: Bought...

TaoPhoenix wrote: The second or third book I read by Robin Cook tagged him for me in my "Bucket Books" list. (The list of books I hope to read before I kck the bucket".

Then I went to a used book store and bought about ten, cleaning out the shelf. : )

(I think I hear Billy Joel playing, "Why do I go to extremes?" The answer: "Everything in moderation, except moderation.")

Moderation is fine every once in awhile, but there is nothing like the rush of a new adventure or interest to motivate us to accomplish things we desire to do.

I can only hope that one day, some archaeologist will dig up our literary works from the ruins of society or the archives of Aphelion and find joy in our labors!

Mark

Master Critic

Post August 31, 2009, 08:18:00 PM

McCamy_Taylor wrote:Tell your wife thank you!

I think I mention in the blurb that this is a companion piece to "Study in Silicon" about the AI, Mycroft. That one was loosely modeled on "Study in Scarlet", meaning that I always planned it as a series of shorter tales revolving around Mycroft. I expect I will do more stories in the series, rather than working them into a single novel.

Ms Taylor,

Please let me say that everything you've written--that I've read--is of easily professional quality.

As much as I enjoy reading amateur fiction, I've read multiple 'pro' stories where the writing is far below your usual norm.

A set of Taylor-quality stories with a human detective and an AI, would be a seller.

Throw in cloning--where icons from the past could be re-storied--and you'd have a winner.

I imagine clones of:

JFK

Abraham Lincoln

Socrates

Chuck Yeager

Rasputin

Einstein

Hitler

I think you get the picture.

Think what you could do with different upbringings, different societies. . . . .

I mean, look at what you did with Babe Ruth? Rasputin would be a hoot!

So no Novel-Length efforts in your future. . . . .

You sure?

This story was excellent, same as always. You've got what it takes, all you need is 'noticed.'

Not a Nit, not a Pic. Just absolutely professional.

(And I've been known for a nit, or two. . . )

Bill Wolfe
"I am Susan Ivanova. . . .I am the Right Hand of Vengence. . .I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Editor Emeritus

Post September 03, 2009, 07:52:15 AM

Clones of Famous People

Charles Sheffield did an important early story on this called "Out of Copyright".

Senior Critic

Post September 06, 2009, 10:57:24 AM

Solidly written. I like the AI character and I like the idea that a clone might have to deal with running into copies of itself throughout its life.

Coupla nits:

Humble opinion—I would not have opened the story with a Nazi reference. The train scene evokes that idea so well and would've been more poignant without the cue. I kinda like the idea of opening the piece with this simple sentence:

My newly shaved scalp saved my life.

I would think there would be dogs involved in the hunt for Sadie.

Why would a chick in a lab coat be out on the bayous looking for an escapee? Seems like a job for a security detail.

I have trouble accepting the idea that Sammie Sol's manager has the kind of juice to mobilize the government to find Sadie. Unless, the train assault was his private doing, which is pretty ballsy too considering he would then be challenging the government—is that the case? I guess I assumed the men had come from the quarantine camp. But to continue this, how much money are we talking about in Sammie's estate? I think we would need to know more about Sammie. Is she the most popular pop singer of all time? Is her manager some hugely successful kind of Svengali, the real reason that a maybe talentless Sammie has sold more downloads than anyone in history? How did he find Sadie to begin with?

I'd like to see more action with respect to how Sadie falls in love with Hero. She tells us she's starting to fall for him, but I would like to see that bloom.

And just a question cuz I'm curious and don't know: Why would artificial eyes remove the need to sleep?

Commenter

Post November 06, 2010, 03:24:24 AM

I was about to read Richenbach Falls when I saw the word "clones" in the title of this one and I was lost. I'm fascinated by clones, have been since I read Brave New World about a dozen times when I was fifteen.

And yet it turns out that Sadie isn't a clone after all! I see this as a coming of age story, a "finding your identity and place in the world" story. I guess it's not paranoia when you've been lied to all your life and they really are out to get you?

Great story, thanks for writing it. :)

Fran
che frances monro - http://www.chemonro.com

Return to August 2009