Motto of the Gnomish Postal Service by Stuart Sharp

Tell us what you thought of the August 2009 issue

Senior Critic

Post August 15, 2009, 12:58:05 PM

Motto of the Gnomish Postal Service by Stuart Sharp

Love it! This one proves that poetry can be of a lighter nature and still work just fine. Poetry (or any sort of writing for that matter) doesn't always have to set out to change the world. Sometimes it simply entertains. And I found this piece to be quite entertaining, in a somewhat whimsical way.

This one reads especially well. It is a real pleasure to read; something a lot of other modern poems miss. And while rhyme can be a tricky thing at times, the rhyme in this one fits perfectly with the subject. And the rhyme in no way seems forced.

So many of the typical fantasy elements are there that it brings back fond memories of days spent playing Dungeons & Dragons. And the possible nod to mythology in the end, the "three-headed dog", adds even more literary depth.

Of course, the Gnomish Postal Service sounds much more reliable than our local letter carriers!
"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did. I'm going to recite poetry!"

Master Critic

Post August 17, 2009, 04:09:44 PM

I enjoyed this one, too. I especially like the part about making sure to include the proper number of stamps.

Very cool, made me laugh, and it also made me wonder why a free zine.

This was good enough for paid market.

Bill Wolfe
"I am Susan Ivanova. . . .I am the Right Hand of Vengence. . .I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Poetry Editor

Post September 13, 2009, 01:16:20 AM

Bill_Wolfe wrote:This was good enough for paid market.

Bill Wolfe

Will you two please stop telling my contributors to go and find paid work? Give him confidence like that and he may realise he doesn't have to give me stuff for free, and THEN where would we be for fun little poems?
KNEEL before Zod!

Return to August 2009