My Brief Affair ... by Mark Edgemon

Tell us what you thought of the August 2009 issue

Master Critic

Post August 26, 2009, 02:37:06 PM

Re: absurdus ad extrrmus

rick tornello wrote:
"How can you have your pudding if you don't eat your meat?" from Another Brick In The Wall.

"How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?"

I thought it wasn't right, so I looked it up.

Misquoting the masters is a dangerous thing.

Bill Wolfe

"I am Susan Ivanova. . . .I am the Right Hand of Vengence. . .I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Master Critic

Post August 26, 2009, 02:53:21 PM

picky picky picky

"If you don't eat yer meat, you cant have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat YER meat?"

Miss quoting the masters ... and such, a big no no.

You want to get technical as opposed to the spirit of it?

RT

Master Critic

Post August 26, 2009, 03:14:33 PM

Re: picky picky picky

rick tornello wrote:You want to get technical as opposed to the spirit of it?

Oh Richard. . .need you ask? By all means, technical.

But thanks for asking.

Bill Wolfe :twisted:
"I am Susan Ivanova. . . .I am the Right Hand of Vengence. . .I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Master Critic

Post August 26, 2009, 07:22:45 PM

The Age Old Star Trek Juxtaposition!

Bill is just razzing Richard to get a reaction. He's playing Spock's brain to Dr. McCoy's emotions.

Mark

Master Critic

Post August 26, 2009, 07:27:22 PM

Re: absurdus ad extrrmus

Bill_Wolfe wrote:One thing I've been meaning to mention about the story is that you could drink a whole bottle of 1950's household Windex and it wouldn't kill you. You might puke your guts up, but you might not. There just isn't enough ammonia in there to do any real harm (0.014%).

And adding it to booze would actually help, oddly enough. Windex had (and still does) isopropanol--rubbing alcohol--in it. It was about 4%, in those days. Mixing it with the drinkable kind makes it much less toxic.

So it's doubtful that our stalwart hero actually killed Marylin.

It was probably still the mafia, on JFK's behalf.

Bill Wolfe[/size]

Bill,

I'm going to take your word on it rather than test your assumption.

Mark

Master Critic

Post August 26, 2009, 07:52:10 PM

Theatre of the absurd

unforgibbon wrote:Clearly Michael Jackson represents a lot of what is absurd in the contemporary world. But his brand of absurdity is dark and deeply disturbing (at least to me) whereas Jack Hartley was, as Mark indicates, a kind of doofus. There was a bufoonery about him that undercut what I find compelling in such stories.

For me (post)modern absurdity is embodied in footage of the Columbine students running out of the school with their hands on their heads cuz the cops didn't know who the bad guys were; the Y2K hype; footage of the planes flying into the WTC and the latter's consequent collapase; so-called reality TV; that any of us know who Paris Hilton is; subprime loans; etc. None of which is as amusing as Mark's story. For such a story to have poignancy for me, I would rather find myself saying, "Yikes, what a f#%ked up dude," than "Wow, what a clown." But again, that's just my preference and not a criticism.

Unforgibbon,

I have two comments first dealing with comedy of the absurd.

I was first introduced to absurb comedy when I heard my first LP record of Stan Freberg in college. He was way before my time, but he was ballsy for the fifties.

After that, it was Monty Python. I didn't catch them during their first run, but caught them in reruns. I didn't really get most of their humor, but I liked their boldness and their freedom to do the unexpected!

I did a tribute to them based on their skit "The Cheese Shop" titled, "Weapon's Mart" which is almost a word for word parody of their skit, except for replacing weapons names for the names of different types of cheese. The comedy piece is in the Audio Comedy Archive in the Fun and Games Folder.

Next was early Steve Martin and then Mel Brooks. I admired their chance taking and still enjoy that type of comedy and occasionally perform it in radio comedy skits.

I tried to blend a degree of believability with the absurdness of Jack's exploits.

I read CNN's top twenty headlines everyday and find far more absurd real life happenings than the ones you mentioned.

Like a man killing his model girlfriend, chopping her up and stuffing her remains in a suitcase and the police are wondering if they can use the girls breast implants to possibly identify her (You know, trace the product number on the implants).

Also, a home daycare caretakers were arrested for locking the toddlers in the outdoor tool shed with all the pesticide containers out and available and in the middle of summer without air conditioners.

And a Muslim woman will be caned next month and given 6 lashes for having an alcoholic drink in a restaurant.

Truth is still stranger than fiction!

Now as far as your particular tastes, I would be inspired to write a story (not a comedy) about a psychopath, who does gruesome and strange things, but all based in reality and for Bill, everything technically right. Somebody needs to write something for Bill's taste, we are all disappointing him!

I would be interested in knowing what type of comedy you do like. I'd be curious to know. Maybe I could create something for you along those lines either written or audio. Let me know.

Mark

Senior Critic

Post August 27, 2009, 10:45:32 AM

Re: Theatre of the absurd

Mark Edgemon wrote:I would be interested in knowing what type of comedy you do like. I'd be curious to know. Maybe I could create something for you along those lines either written or audio. Let me know.

That's what I like to see. I think all y'all mofos ought to be writing purely for my amusement…

:P

I love Monty Python. But as far as the kind of comedy I enjoy, well, here's the philistine answer: I know what I like when I laugh at it. Sometimes it's sophisticated political satire, sometimes (OK, a lot of times) it's fart jokes. I don't care much for over-the-top, cartoonish slapstick, and find myself uninterested in the sort of "retard humor" championed by Adam Sandler and Jack Black both of whom can be really funny.

Again, let me just say, I had no problem with Mark's humor stylings at all; it's just that in this case, with this kind of short piece, I found myself wanting creepy rather than comedic.

As for the absurd in the news, yeah, you can find any number of inspiring items with that WTF factor every day. Incidentally, it's worth noting that the dude who hacked up his model girlfriend with the traceable boobs was a reality TV "star" (likely the only reason any of us know about this case).

Senior Critic

Post August 27, 2009, 11:34:06 AM

This is going to date me, but I enjoyed the heck out of Steve Allen, Ernie Kovacks and Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In.

I also believe the Rock n' Roll era ended when The Beatles broke up.

gino

Master Critic

Post August 27, 2009, 01:06:27 PM

The Greats of Comedy Set the Stage!

gino_ss wrote:This is going to date me, but I enjoyed the heck out of Steve Allen, Ernie Kovacks and Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In.

gino

Yes, Steve Allen had a button down look, but was really out there with his comedy. And Luagh In set the stage for many other shows like "The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour who took real risks which got them kicked off the air. However, I admire risk takers!

Mark

Senior Critic

Post August 27, 2009, 01:10:16 PM

George Carlin
Howard Stern
Chris Rock

Master Critic

Post August 27, 2009, 01:17:30 PM

As Marilyn would say, "Let me entertain you"!

Unforgibbon Said:
That's what I like to see. I think all y'all mofos ought to be writing purely for my amusement…

There is nothing wrong with being challenged to entertain each other. Megawatts and I wrote to entertain each other in his Rewrite Challenge some months back. I wrote a script for Natalie Callaghan's Toastmaster performance. It's good to be inspired!

Unforgibbon Said:
But as far as the kind of comedy I enjoy, well, here's the philistine answer: I know what I like when I laugh at it. Sometimes it's sophisticated political satire

Okay, I can see that! Sophisticated comedy for a deep thinking, intelligent, analytical person. I'll put some thought into it!

Unforgibbon Said:
I don't care much for over-the-top, cartoonish slapstick, and find myself uninterested in the sort of "retard humor" championed by Adam Sandler and Jack Black both of whom can be really funny.

So, Larry the Cable Guy would be out of the question!

Unforgibbon Said:
Again, let me just say, I had no problem with Mark's humor stylings at all; it's just that in this case, with this kind of short piece, I found myself wanting creepy rather than comedic.

I'll see what I can do for Halloween!

Mark
Previous

Return to August 2009