Buried in Tomorrow

Tell us what you thought of the July 2009 issue!

Editor Emeritus

Post July 23, 2009, 03:11:51 PM

Buried in Tomorrow

What, no comments? After all the fuss over Richard's story, I thought people would be ready to jump on this one, with its Mother Nature Strikes Back theme. Or is the Gaia Hypothesis more palatable without the talking animals (but with lava-golems animated by the souls of Earth-friendly people)?

I mean, New Zealand just moved 30 centimeters (about a foot) closer to Australia in a matter of minutes (or less?). 7.8 on the Richter Scale (with amazingly little property damage and no reported deaths so far)!

Ye Bears of Scientific Plausibility, consider yerselves poked.

RM
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Master Critic

Post July 23, 2009, 04:58:30 PM

Re: Buried in Tomorrow

Robert_Moriyama wrote:What, no comments? After all the fuss over Richard's story, I thought people would be ready to jump on this one, with its Mother Nature Strikes Back theme. ......Ye Bears of Scientific Plausibility, consider yerselves poked.

Whattaya mean, poked? Nothing implausible in this story. Mr. Perdian didn't try to explain how the planet became self aware or even how it communicated with humans. He didn't try to explain how the planet blew up volcanoes at will. . .nada.

Like I've been trying to say. . .just push the button and fly to another world.

Frankly, the story was much better than I thought it would be from the blurb. I thought the scope and breadth of this story was very well done by using very limited P’sOV and a little selective omniscience.

The characters were believable, if a bit rushed, and consistent within the limits of the story.

Of course, the Gaia solution is a little like burning down the house to get rid of the termites. After all, we're not doing nearly the damage that the planet is doing to itself, from a species wipe-out point of view. A volcano is a lot of pollution by anyone’s standards.

If the planet is so smart and it has willing minions with those handy opposable thumbs, you'd think a human-specific tailored virus would have been much more effective than earthquakes and volcanoes and hurricanes (oh my!)

They could have Captain Tripped our somewhat simian butts, and we couldn't have done much about it. You'd think an entire planet would be a little more patient. We would probably have wiped-ourselves out sooner or later, anyway.

But that's not a quibble, just an observation.

Bill Wolfe
"I am Susan Ivanova. . . .I am the Right Hand of Vengence. . .I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Senior Critic

Post July 24, 2009, 10:01:20 AM

Per Bill, the solution does seem to clash with any kind of principle of proportionality. Yes, on a geological scale I figure Earth will heal from its self-cleansing, but then I think Earth would heal from anything humans subject it to. I recall the late George Carlin suggesting that the Earth would eventually shrug us off, likely using a virus to do so.

Ultimately, I found this story, like many eco-cautionary tales, to be a bit corny, but I suppose that a function of the writer's concern over the issue. For me, the challenge is to express a strongly held sentiment without sinking into the mush of sentimentality.

On a different quibbly note, I understood that Cyan learned to hide the fact that she heard the Voice at an early age, but later in the story, Matt tells Tamara that Cyan suffers from periodic bouts of schizophrenia. If Cyan did conceal her relationship to the Voice from everyone (save Phillip, apparently), wouldn't her dossier just report her schizophrenia as a childhood affliction?

Return to July 2009