Layover in an Oak Grove by Mary Brunini McArdle

Tell us what you thought abou thte November issue!

Master Critic

Post November 16, 2008, 02:11:32 PM

Layover in an Oak Grove by Mary Brunini McArdle

Nice poignant story, romantic, moving and entertaining from beginning to the end.

Mary Jean Parker was somewhat of a stereotyped person, and the old vintage plane crashing into the tree also reminded me of similar ‘out of time’ stories and even movies. Of course, I’m sixty now, retired and have watched movies and read all my live. Therefore, many stories seem stereotyped to me!

A plane crashing into a tree would more than likely attract other people. As it descended from the sky, sputtering --a staccato sound as the author suggests--it would have been visible and heard for many miles, unless the plane materialized just before the crash. That, I’m sure, is what happened.

Except for some slight criticisms, the story was a very fine read, the characters believable and the theme of the story---an old one but one that never dies---love is timeless!!

Mary Jean loved Garhard. And Garhard, whether it was by accident or fate, came to her mysteriously in order to draw her out of her shell. The short but stirring moments with him left Mary Jean a changed person, one who learned that there is much more to the world than we will ever know!

Very nice, warmhearted story!! :wink:
Tesla Lives!!!

Senior Critic

Post November 16, 2008, 08:33:14 PM

Well done. Time trip stories are my favorites. I'm a bit surprised that Mary Jean didn't make a project of searching WWII archives to see if Garhard ever made it back to his unit.
A love story and USAF promo all in one.

gino

Master Critic

Post November 21, 2008, 11:59:58 PM

yeah this one is good because it's actually telling us something about Ms. McArdle and what, i believe, she cares about.

as for the piece itself, i agree with megawatts that it's likely other people would have noticed, but then this is a type of Twilight Zone deal so it's all good.

otherwise, i felt it was too rushed, there was little sense of surprise, shock or amazement. and they fell in love too quickly, although that does happen every day to some people - i've never felt it personally.

the ending was better, the parts focused on Mary Jean. But i wish we had more time with Garhard, he was an interesting character.

Is Hawkins Field a real place?

Return to November 2008