They've Come For Me Again by R. H. Fay


Tell us what you thought abou thte November issue!

Master Critic

Posts: 3595

Joined: September 17, 2008, 10:10:20 PM

Post November 11, 2008, 01:25:35 AM

They've Come For Me Again by R. H. Fay

Word crafting imagery in short verse is much more difficult than expounding on a theme or concept through many verses. R. H. Fay is a master at it! The greatest thing that can be said of a creator's work is that it stays with you long after you experience it. I can say that of this poem.

Mark Edgemon

stu

Junior Critic

Posts: 67

Joined: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM

Post November 15, 2008, 10:06:22 AM

Is it just me, or has Richard made a sudden jump from haiku to cinquains? More to the point, is this part of some gradual expansion, so that if you give it a couple of million years he'll be producing epics?
User avatar

Senior Critic

Posts: 316

Joined: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM

Location: Upstate New York

Post November 15, 2008, 04:15:47 PM

Re: They've Come For Me Again by R. H. Fay

Mark Edgemon wrote:Word crafting imagery in short verse is much more difficult than expounding on a theme or concept through many verses. R. H. Fay is a master at it! The greatest thing that can be said of a creator's work is that it stays with you long after you experience it. I can say that of this poem.

Mark Edgemon


A master at crafting imagery in short verse, eh? Why, thank you! That's what any short-form poet loves to hear.

I suspect that my experience as a visual artist has something to do with it. I often visualize the poem in my head as if it were an illustration, and then find the right words to fit the scene. I've also rather adept at going in the other direction, coming up with visuals for a piece that others had trouble illustrating. My mind must work in a very visual manner.

One thing I may have to work on a bit - adding more than just visuals. I jhave to remember to try and include some of the other senses as well. That's where the "voices inside my head" come in.
"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did. I'm going to recite poetry!"

Master Critic

Posts: 879

Joined: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM

Location: Johnstown, Pa.

Post November 15, 2008, 04:18:33 PM

They've Come For Me Again by Richard H. Fay

Bright lights,
strange silhouettes,
voices inside my head
signal my departure from Earth
once more.


This one certainly is short. Is the person a schizolphrenic? Or has he/she/it made the trip so many times that the lift-off has become boorishly routine. I believe that is what Richard intended!!

Nice little one :wink:
Tesla Lives!!!
User avatar

Senior Critic

Posts: 316

Joined: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM

Location: Upstate New York

Post November 15, 2008, 04:37:05 PM

stu wrote:Is it just me, or has Richard made a sudden jump from haiku to cinquains? More to the point, is this part of some gradual expansion, so that if you give it a couple of million years he'll be producing epics?


Well, I only just started experimenting with cinquains a few months back. I didn't really know about the form until recently. So I've been writing speculative haiku a little bit longer (over a year now).

I've had one or two slightly longer peices published here at Aphelion ("Cosmic Tricksters" and my linked haiku "The Lambton Worm"), and I've certainly had much longer works published elsewhere. My poem "Battle in the Dark Castle" is 71 lines long, my longest poem to-date. Other longer ones include "Nanomite 323 (54 lines long, if I counted right), and "Kamal Del and the Dark Elemental" (again, 54 lines long).

I just happen to have submitted more short-form than longer poetry to Aphelion. There are a limited number of genre publications that publish speculative haiku on a regular basis. Iain has liked the short-form stuff I've sent so far, so I've had quite a few spec haiku published in Aphelion. And now I've started to submit cinquains, too.

Which reminds me, I should submit another for Iain's consideration...
"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did. I'm going to recite poetry!"
User avatar

Senior Critic

Posts: 316

Joined: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM

Location: Upstate New York

Post November 15, 2008, 04:40:20 PM

Re: They've Come For Me Again by Richard H. Fay

Megawatts wrote:Bright lights,
strange silhouettes,
voices inside my head
signal my departure from Earth
once more.


This one certainly is short. Is the person a schizolphrenic? Or has he/she/it made the trip so many times that the lift-off has become boorishly routine. I believe that is what Richard intended!!

Nice little one :wink:


I wanted to leave the actual interpretation a bit open. I personally see the poem as presenting someone who is repeatedly abducted, or it could be an alien among us who is periodically whisked away by their own kind.

Then again, it could all be in the narrator's head.

Either way, the experience is supposed to seem rather routine, as if it happens quite frequently.
"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did. I'm going to recite poetry!"

Return to November 2008

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.