Epiphany By E. S. Strout

Tell us what you thought about the September issue!

Moderator: Editors

CCC

Senior Critic

Post September 14, 2008, 06:04:05 AM

Epiphany By E. S. Strout

Interesting. Although I must question the wisdom of altering the past (what if, for example, Mozart had another son, and one of the researcher's ancestors married Mozart's later son instead of the man she would otherwise have married? The grandfather paradox without having to actually kill anyone...), and I must also question the way it leaves the researcher's memories unaffected, the effects on Mozart's life are very well handled. I enjoyed the story.

KLC

Commenter

Post September 18, 2008, 08:07:33 AM

Very good. Amazing that one incident of him partially waking up which they thought would pose no problem ended up having such a profound effect on his life! I enjoyed this story :-)
"It is never too late to be what you might have been" - George Eliot

Master Critic

Post September 19, 2008, 12:29:10 PM

Epiphany

I've always been a fan of Wolfgang myself, and his personal history.The writing style in this story was easy to read.
I liked the way the author handled the "narrator" question - only those personally involved in the event would remember the event - that's a nice story telling tool.
It's also often true that, even given different circumstances, the same result would occur with only minor changes...as seen in HG Well's Time Machine.
A nice tale well told. What if we could...

Master Critic

Post September 21, 2008, 09:39:25 AM

I love Mozart. This story had too much info dump, but I enjoyed it.

I would have liked to see how Mozart handles ‘Rap’ and some other modern music. I bet Andrew Lloyd Webber and Mozart would have
much to talk about!!

Stories that alter the past or peek into the future are alway interesting. The questions of 'What would happen if...' or 'Will anything really change...' or like The Time Machine how far will society advance...but in the The Time Machine society changed very unexpectantly. can stimulate our imaginations to new and un-believable levels. Imaginating must be sparked into play by almost any means, for without imagination we would never have had television, flight, modern medicine or the arts and sciences that continually give us new and un-heard of marvels!!

An interesting story

Commenter

Post September 26, 2008, 02:33:02 PM

The time travel issue was well handled.

There were some bits of extraneous information, like the name of the chemical to seal the cut, that seemed to say "I know this!", instead of "this is something you need to know."

Another small technique-related issue was where they discussed the college friend. The man says he was a college buddy, then gives the name of the college, and then gives the name of the mascot. In return the wife says her college name and mascot. They should both already know this information about each other and it just seems awkward to read.

And the fraternity shake thing just does not ring true. People just shake hands.

Not to say I did not enjoy the story, because I did. I thought the plot was good, enjoyed the little details about Mozart, and thought it was wrapped up quite neatly.

FBG

Master Critic

Post September 29, 2008, 11:08:06 AM

wow, ES is a machine - seems the guy has a story every issue now. this one had his usual flair for detail and a solid setup, as is typically the case with a strout. it's also apparent that a lot of research went into this, which i appreciate. however, i'm not a fan of time travel per se as i've said, hahemm, in the past. either way, another impressive effort, even if not my personal cup of melamine.

Senior Critic

Post October 02, 2008, 11:46:25 AM

My sincere thanks to all who read and commented on Epiphany.

gino

Return to September 2008