A Dragon's Tale By Ty Johnston

Tell us what you thought about the September issue!

Moderator: Editors

CCC

Senior Critic

Post September 14, 2008, 06:21:13 AM

A Dragon's Tale By Ty Johnston

Ah, a very nice story. A classical fantasy situation - knight faces terrifying dragon - given an interesting twist in the personality of the dragon, his relations with the knight, and the fact that the whole story is written from the dragon's viewpoint. Although the dragon claimed that it would be his tale, though, the tale is more about what he knew of the knight than about himself; whether this was because the dragon was writing for a human audience and using the knight as a figure that said audience could relate with, or whether the dragon didn't know how to exp[lain the more draconic aspects of its own life, or whether the dragon felt that humans would only be interested in a story predominantly featuring humans I can't say, but all of these are possible. (I also notice that the dragon gives more screen time to saving the soldiers than to stealing farmer's beasts over the centuries; almost as if he's slightly embarrassed about the latter).

I really enjoyed this story.

Senior Critic

Post September 14, 2008, 11:55:56 AM

Not a very scary guy, this dragon. There was one in the 1981 flick Dragonslayer, who demanded virgin sacrifice or he would incinerate your village - my kind of dragon. The one in this story is more like Puff the Magic Dragon in the old Peter, Paul & Mary song. Whatever he was smoking must have kept him mellow.

gino

KLC

Commenter

Post September 18, 2008, 03:14:14 AM

Well, I prefer the 'good' dragon to the evil one... I liked the ending, although it was sad, it was thought-provoking...
"It is never too late to be what you might have been" - George Eliot

Master Critic

Post September 26, 2008, 02:23:13 PM

Loved it!!

A nice poignant story with a dragon as a good guy!

Loved it. and couldn't find anything to nit-pick about.

Good writing, good story-tell, good characher development, and good
word choices.

The story was easy to follow, the rhythm of the words were flowing, and the essence of the charachers came though. Nice.

:D

Commenter

Post September 26, 2008, 03:41:53 PM

Nicely done, I really enjoyed this one.

I like the point you made about humans and rituals v. dragons and no rituals. Rituals [at least the kind that are more than just rote habit] require society, and the dragons here are solitary.

FBG

Return to September 2008