Venus Genetrix By C. S. Malerich

Tell us what you thought about the September issue!

Moderator: Editors

CCC

Senior Critic

Post September 14, 2008, 06:14:14 AM

Venus Genetrix By C. S. Malerich

This story raises several questions. For a start, what sort of person throws a body into the sea without first checking that it does not have that person's address in the pockets? Secondly, it severely strained (but didn't quite break) the bounds of coincidence that Venus should have another customer right when she wanted to show the policeman what happened to them.

Although, I must say, asking the policeman to help hide the last body was a very interesting twist in the story...

Commenter

Post September 26, 2008, 03:28:50 PM

Re: Venus Genetrix By C. S. Malerich

CCC wrote:This story raises several questions. For a start, what sort of person throws a body into the sea without first checking that it does not have that person's address in the pockets? Secondly, it severely strained (but didn't quite break) the bounds of coincidence that Venus should have another customer right when she wanted to show the policeman what happened to them.

For the first item, it is quite believable. When you murder someone, most of the time you don't go through their pockets. In addition this story seems set in an older time with much less attention to forensics.

As for the second item, I saw this as sort of a "replay". I did not realize it was a new victim until she asked about disposing the body. I think it might have been better to be a dream sequence and have her ask for help with the next body.

Pretty good story.

FBG

Return to September 2008