Scooby-Doo Stories

Writing challenges, flash fiction, interesting anecdotes, amusements, and general miscellanea.

Moderator: Editors

Tell us which you preferred

Poll ended at June 24, 2020, 07:26:39 PM

The Sacred Royal Library
38%
Fidelity
63%

Total votes : 8

Poetry Editor

Post June 10, 2020, 07:26:39 PM

Scooby-Doo Stories

We only have two tales, this month, from a couple of the usual suspects...
KNEEL before Zod!

Poetry Editor

Post June 10, 2020, 07:30:29 PM

The Sacred Royal Library

The Royal Road from the coast to the Capital passed through the lush countryside, composed of medium hills looking like massive curls of curved trees. The walls of the great capital city could be seen in the distance: it was the seat of the Rulership, with its tall stone towers, a royal spectacle. In the busy heart of the city, within the Area of the Academicians, stood the huge building of the Sacred Royal Library!

As evening approached and Glnevg grew tired after his long journey, the man thought about the tiny room where he would be spending the night, in one of the cheapest flophouses he could find. The dark eyes of the slender bald man stared at the soaring height of the Library as he moved on, and his mind was almost immediately overwhelmed by the thought of what lay behind the copper doors of the main entrance.

The many wings of the Sacred Royal Library - most people didn't even know how many rooms there were… - were full of long bookcases and cabinets used to store books, old documents, important volumes, huge tomes and other ancient written material. It would have been impossible for anyone to read all those texts even if he, or she, had lived for centuries.

Only the superintendents knew where the lists of volumes were located, but even they hadn't read all the books in the specific branches of knowledge they had studied most of their life. Undoubtedly, some of those books were more valuable than others, which is why Glnevg, a talented hired thief, had come there.

The 29-year-old man knew that by stealing some of the texts that mages, archaeologists and academicians from abroad were searching for, a thief could gain a lot of money. There was no other reason why people like Glnevg dared such actions, trying to sneak into the area of the Capital where the large stone building of the Sacred Royal Library stood, taking the ancient volumes that were needed by his employers. This was an illegal, very dangerous business. Thieves who were caught stealing books were put in jail, or usually executed. However, it didn’t happen frequently that someone tried to steal tomes from there, and there were many reasons for that.

First, the building was well guarded from the outside, and there were traps inside meant to kill intruders. This was especially true for the oldest portions of the Library where the most valuable magical volumes were held. Only the superintendents knew how to safely get past those contraptions and return alive.

Beyond that, people said it was not just human guards and traps that protected the Sacred Royal Library, insisting there might be other watchpersons, so to say - the fabled Tonttu. The ill-clothed Tonttu, mischievous creatures of fairy tales, were said to be short with a long whitish beard and wore strange hats. They supposedly had lived in the deep caverns underground, below that building, since it was first built - and were believed to be the "souls" of the area’s first residents. They were thought to defend the books inside, attacking humans who were not supposed to be there, as they had done for centuries.

Anyway, four days after Glnevg arrived in the city, he thought he knew the area well enough to enter that place unnoticed. It wasn’t difficult - for someone like him, at least… - to get past the turrets in the last level, repelling down the main walls using a long rope and entering the deepest rooms of the building. He easily survived the five deadly contraptions he found along the way. Then the man grabbed the texts he wanted and started running back to the rope he had used before.

But great was his surprise as he saw such rope had been cut! This was his only way out, his only opportunity to get back to the turrets that stood so high. Could it have been the fabled Tonttu? Did they really protect the library?

“Damn’!” he told himself. “I might have already gotten away with it, if it hadn't been for those creatures!"

Minutes flew by before he heard footsteps – probably the human guards – and he understood he had no choice. He knew he could climb the walls using his hands and powerful muscles, but he would not be able to take with him the great weight of those valuable texts. So, he chose to leave them behind, climbing out of the building, cursing his damn’ failure, in the end.

-----------------

Before the human guards arrived on the scene, the group of small Tonttu approached the old texts that had been left behind after they had cut the thief's rope. They grabbed all those books and had already disappeared before humans came.

That same night, in one of the deepest recesses inside the ancient caverns, the Tonttu sat together. They had long used some of the oldest and rarest books held in that building - not protecting them for a greater good, but simply burning those pages… They loved mixing those old papers with thin plants, putting those into their devices meant to smoke them. In fact, the ancient magical ink once used to write those texts gave their smoke a better flavour… And the resulting inebriation was much better than the common smoke coming just from the plants themselves.

The magical traps in the building couldn’t stop them, for they were sorcerous creatures too. Humans would probably never miss such texts anyway, as the Tonttu in that building were only a few, and there were so many books they could smoke, century after century, without making a dent.

Actually most Tonttu didn’t believe that such smoke, with its added secret ingredient, might be harmful to them. However, the elder Tonttu, especially when they looked into the inebriated faces of the younger generations - who appeared lost and openly drugged, wrapped up in those dark clouds of smoke - had their doubts about that activity…
KNEEL before Zod!

Poetry Editor

Post June 10, 2020, 07:31:45 PM

Fidelity

The troops of Fareghan had been away fighting the rogue dwarfs in the canyons of Blakenfeld for almost two months, when Shelegic presented himself before the queen’s castle doors, midway through the moonlit night. He appeared on horseback, dismounting in one movement after crossing the drawbridge over the deep black moat. His silver-plated armor had been recently polished to a brilliant shine and the breeze picked up his long black curls, tussling them gently.

The queen, Rosalyn the 14th, was impressed. She had missed him, her lonely bed cried for his return from battle, for they had pledged themselves to each other the day before he left. Each had promised to be faithful – as lovers are prone to do under such circumstances. Queen Rosalyn had kept up her end of the bargain, the heart of an elven queen was always terminally faithful, preferring to die than hold someone other than her love.

As Queen Rosalyn studied her lover before the castle’s doors, she could not help but wonder if Shelegic had held up his end, remembering a love long gone who had stabbed her affections with one far-flung romance after another, until her soul was abandoned like a bleeding animal left by the side of the road to die alone.

She had heard rumors about this flashy knight as well, whispers from lips that had heard gossip about night-long orgies on the roads to and from the battlefields – and even an affair with a human female in the small village that abutted the castle grounds. But perhaps she could forgive the dalliances – if they had occurred - if her true love would just come clean about his activities. She pulled a cord attached to a bell, which signaled the gatekeeper to allow Shelegic to enter. The Elven Queen Rosalyn descended the 123 stone steps to the main floor, hoping her doubts would prove to be unfounded.

The man now standing in front of her throne was a beauty to behold. His long months of travelling had toned his skin to a high bronze, his arms were muscular from wielding a sword, and his dark eyes burned with desire at the sight of her as well. She took the throne and smiled upon him as he knelt down on one knee.

“Dearest knight, this queen and her castle thanks you for your service to the kingdom of Fareghan, protecting her from her fiercest enemies. I shall see to it you are well rewarded for your valor on the field of battle.”

“My Queen, your generosity is legendary,” said the knight, bowing even lower in a flowing overstated gesture. He dared to peak up to gaze upon the face of slender, frail elven beauty before him.

“Arise and come closer,” she told him formally.

He did as he was ordered, walking a few steps, staring up at her. She left her throne, walking down a few stairs, her body close enough for him to smell the lavender fragrance in her braids.

“We are surprised you did not visit us two nights ago, when your brothers in arms came before us,” she told him with a combination of desperation and hope.

“I wanted to wait so I could come before you strong and refreshed. The road has been long and difficult. Although my strength sometimes wavered, my love for you never did. I have stayed faithful every moment while we were separated, your ice-blue eyes illuminating my dreams.”

Rosalyn looked deep into the dark pools of his eyes before saying anything. “There are those who have told me that your love for me wavered a dozen times while you were away.”

The knight first looked shocked, then his anger began to rise. “There was never a dozen, just more like four or five,” he blurted out in a gush. His face fell immediately as he realized what he had confessed to. His fists rose towards the ceiling in frustration and self-disgust as he roared, “And I would have gotten away with it too – if it hadn’t been for the big mouths of the soldiers who call themselves my friends.”

Rosalyn the 14th slowly turned as if in a nightmare, climbing the steps to her cold, empty throne. Both lovers knew they would never again hold the other in their arms. “It wasn’t your fellow soldiers who gave you up, brave knight. They would have never betrayed your confidence – it was your own anger that lost you my bed, my heart, and my kingdom. No person breathed a word about your deception – I was merely fishing, hoping you loved me the way I loved you. Depart now – the reward for your service will be the same as the rest of your unit, but not a penny more. The Queen gives you leave to remove.”

Shelegic picked up with his helmet and backed up, one slow step at a time, till he reached the door at the back of the great hall, finally turning around as he crossed the threshold.

The Elven queen sat on her throne, thinking, crying, until the candles around her burned out and the sun finally shone through the windows.
KNEEL before Zod!

Master Critic

Post June 11, 2020, 04:40:54 AM

Re: Scooby-Doo Stories

My vote is in...

Long Fiction Editor

Post June 11, 2020, 02:06:15 PM

... and mine.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Master Critic

Post June 15, 2020, 08:42:46 AM

I voted.
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Return to Fun and Games