Translating David Wright And Zahid -- want to see this?

Writing challenges, flash fiction, interesting anecdotes, amusements, and general miscellanea.

Moderator: Editors

Commenter

Post August 20, 2018, 04:45:24 PM

Translating David Wright And Zahid -- want to see this?

11 years ago I had published both David Wright and Zahid Zaman ion The Ethereal Gazette: Issue Five and I want to ask if I can do translations of their work in both French and Arabic/Urdu and then send the translations to the site. What do you offer for this? I am asking because a few are trying to get Zahid's lead story in Issue Five read in Pakistan. I have connections in

Long Fiction Editor

Post August 21, 2018, 02:19:07 PM

Re: Translating David Wright And Zahid -- want to see this?

Not sure how to answer the "What do you offer ... ?" except to say that we're a non-paying publication.

I've asked the other staff, but I don't yet know if, or how well, our board software supports foreign language typefaces. It well might, since there are libraries of those everywhere. I can say I've never seen anything in Aphelion in a foreign language, and I don't know if many, or even any of our readers would be interested.

Of course, if we accepted these translations we would do so on the assumption that you have legal copyright of them.

I suggest you contact our site-owner and Editor-in-Chief, Dan Hollifield.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Senior Editor

Post August 21, 2018, 04:44:57 PM

unclefossil wrote:11 years ago I had published both David Wright and Zahid Zaman ion The Ethereal Gazette: Issue Five and I want to ask if I can do translations of their work in both French and Arabic/Urdu and then send the translations to the site. What do you offer for this? I am asking because a few are trying to get Zahid's lead story in Issue Five read in Pakistan. I have connections in

You would have to ask the writers involved and sign contracts with them or their agents to legally purchase their "Foreign Translation" rights to whatever of their works you wish to use. After that, you'd have to find a paying publication who would agree to publish them. Aphelion isn't a paying market, we're a writer's workshop.

I haven't looked at the numbers lately, but a few months ago when last I looked, we had less than 50 readers combined in France, French-speaking Canada, and the Middle East.

Dan
"Extremely difficult- Virtually impossible- However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..."
Brice Linch - Max Headroom

Commenter

Post August 23, 2018, 11:58:13 AM

Lester Curtis wrote:Not sure how to answer the "What do you offer ... ?" except to say that we're a non-paying publication.

I've asked the other staff, but I don't yet know if, or how well, our board software supports foreign language typefaces. It well might, since there are libraries of those everywhere. I can say I've never seen anything in Aphelion in a foreign language, and I don't know if many, or even any of our readers would be interested.

Of course, if we accepted these translations we would do so on the assumption that you have legal copyright of them.

I suggest you contact our site-owner and Editor-in-Chief, Dan Hollifield.

I heard from both Zahid and David -- they're both TOC mates on The Ethereal Gazette: Issue Five and they were doing a double take seeing both stories in French (David) and Urdu (Zahid). They asked me if they both been published anywhere I said the translations are theirs to work with. I have been published in British Columbia in 2007-2008. I got the roster of Issue Five in the hands of Lee Gutkind and wondered any other alumni you want for this.

Return to Fun and Games