June 2018 Flash Contest (Part 1) - The Voting

Writing challenges, flash fiction, interesting anecdotes, amusements, and general miscellanea.

Moderator: Editors

Master Critic

Post June 11, 2018, 03:23:16 AM

Re: June 2018 Flash Contest (Part 1) - The Voting

Many congratulations to the winner!!! :D

Well done, indeed, Michele!!! :D :D

Long Fiction Editor

Post June 11, 2018, 12:28:40 PM

Jim Statton wrote:
Lipinski wrote:Writing with words sets the reader up for self-interpretation. So, how would a reader consider my original post? Harsh? Humorous? Dry? Upsetting? Complimentary?

As a writer I have my own agenda with words. As a reader I have my own agenda in interpretation.

I wrote earlier in this thread that I, as a reader, felt the authors based on their past work did not do as well in this premise.

To continue, my comment for the stories is not meant to inflict conflict or angst, rather it is to be honest. In this world of 'like' and "oh that is wonderful," constantly, is not a part of my experiment. Yes, my experiment, and I must say it is spot on as the hypothesis is truly being proven true.

I'm very secure as a writer as such, my story for this premise was written to actually cause unease in people reading (again, all a part of the experiment), a part of the experiment, and for general consumption, fell faaaaar short of being remotely good...(*remember the original post where I said: all writers? Now, if any authors wondering about their story being the best they could do according to their, than bravo! Good job!

So yes Jim, you definitely read my post in the way you desired and wanted. A yes, Jim, you are definitely a part of the experiment. And as I said, great job!

If you have some personal experiment, do not communicate it in a way that appears I'm apart of it.

When you communicate in these contest threads, - do not - speak to writers in a condescending tone - like this is all some activity to satisfy your curiosity and that I'm apart of it.

This is a place to "encourage" writers, but only in truthful statements of where they do well. Instructive comments are welcome.

This is not going to change. If this bothers you, go somewhere else.

Relax, Jim. Robin hasn't insulted anyone, as far as I can tell. In fact, you are the only one expressing offense, and in the absence of any complaint from anyone else, at that.

And yes, this IS an experiment, in at least two ways: first, for each of the writers, every story is an experiment to see what kind of expression gets the best or worst reaction from readers. Second, your management of the challenges is an experiment, because it's never been done this way for at least as long as I've been here. The results have exceeded my expectations so far; the level of participation is unprecedented.

So, it's your ship to sink now, and in my opinion, a strict disciplinary approach is one sure way to start putting holes in the hull. Creative people just don't create as well when somebody's waving a rulebook in their faces.

As to Robin ... he likes to squink people, and he doesn't censor himself. But rather than quote rules at him, the editorial staff here has given him his own little space where he can be himself. See how that works? And now, I'm part of his experiment, and I'm sure he'll have a good laugh about that.

Take a few deep breaths and try to recalibrate your trigger threshold, please?
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Critic

Post June 11, 2018, 01:44:15 PM

Lester Curtis wrote: And now, I'm part of his experiment, and I'm sure he'll have a good laugh about that.

8 successful flash contests in 4 months. Pretty good.

So, YOU'RE apart of this experiment. You are now the new flash moderator. :wink:

Long Fiction Editor

Post June 12, 2018, 12:41:53 AM

Just FYI to all writers: Jim had neither asked nor notified me of this action prior to his announcement of it here. I found out about it in response to a comment on the private chatbox that the editors use on FB.

I did not ask for this position and haven't decided yet whether I want to fill the vacancy or not. In any event, I am not at all prepared for it. Please do not send me your manuscripts. The editorial staff will be in deliberation as to how to fill the vacancy, and someone on staff will post a notification about it.

Edit to add: Since Jim is not a member of the 'zine's editorial staff, he has no authority to designate his replacement.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Commenter

Post June 12, 2018, 04:19:03 AM

It was very interesting. Good job, Jim. Congrats, Michele!

Poetry Editor

Post June 12, 2018, 05:24:39 PM

Jim Statton wrote:
Lester Curtis wrote: And now, I'm part of his experiment, and I'm sure he'll have a good laugh about that.

8 successful flash contests in 4 months. Pretty good.

So, YOU'RE apart of this experiment. You are now the new flash moderator. :wink:

Evening all.

The Editorial Mafia have had a chat, and I will take over as moderator of the flash challenge. Thank you, Jim, for your efforts, and thank you authors and commentators for yours. look out for the July challenge: coming soon to a thread near you!
KNEEL before Zod!
Previous

Return to Fun and Games