October Flash Challenge: The Premise:


Writing challenges, flash fiction, interesting anecdotes, amusements, and general miscellanea.

Moderator: Editors

User avatar

Senior Editor

Posts: 1048

Joined: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM

Location: Northeast Georgia, USA

Post October 17, 2017, 10:55:37 PM

October Flash Challenge: The Premise:

This one is so simple it doesn't even need an example story.

Write your best Halloween story, traditional, non-traditional, any genre. The requirements are that you include the following three elements:
1: A child
2: An adult
3: One creature from classical mythology, but bonus points for non-Euro-centric myths

The challenge is to explore beyond your comfort zone. Do something you've never done before. Open your toolbox and push your limits. Submissions will be closed on the 24th. Voting will be closed on November 1st.

A banshee plaguing a colony on Mars, a Chinese vampire on Alpha Centauri 4, Smoking Mirror (Aztec God) in 1870s New York, A ghost with an allergy to black cats, an immortal serial killer in Tir Nan Ogg, a werewolf in London of 2042 after a nuclear war occurred, an AI elf in 2020 escaping from a video game to experience Halloween in suburban Seattle, the Headless Horseman on a colony world on some distant star... Let your imagination run wild. The more non-traditional the better. The trick is to use tropes you know in ways wildly different from what you are used to doing. Stretch yourselves. The closer you stick to the familiar, the worse you'll be serving yourself.

And, GO!
"Extremely difficult- Virtually impossible- However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..."
Brice Linch - Max Headroom
User avatar

Master Critic

Posts: 1158

Joined: September 18, 2009, 05:02:54 AM

Location: Italy

Post October 18, 2017, 03:49:48 AM

Re: October Flash Challenge: The Premise:

An idea just came to my mind....the entry will be ready soon...eh,eh :D
User avatar

Master Critic

Posts: 1158

Joined: September 18, 2009, 05:02:54 AM

Location: Italy

Post October 19, 2017, 02:47:19 AM

Re: October Flash Challenge: The Premise:

After the usual useful reviews/suggestions, mine was sent in today...eh,eh :D
User avatar

Senior Editor

Posts: 1048

Joined: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM

Location: Northeast Georgia, USA

Post October 25, 2017, 04:34:48 PM

Re: October Flash Challenge: The Premise:

We need a few more entries for the contest, so I am going to extend the deadline until October 31st, then let the voting run for a week.

Dan
"Extremely difficult- Virtually impossible- However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..."
Brice Linch - Max Headroom

Commenter

Posts: 25

Joined: July 10, 2016, 11:34:19 AM

Post October 28, 2017, 12:11:31 PM

Re: October Flash Challenge: The Premise:

Vila wrote:We need a few more entries for the contest, so I am going to extend the deadline until October 31st, then let the voting run for a week.

Dan

As you promised above, you said you were going to wait until Tuesday October 31st to accept stories for the October flash challenge? I was working on a good one that I was excited about entering.

Why is this site spiraling downward?
User avatar

Senior Editor

Posts: 1048

Joined: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM

Location: Northeast Georgia, USA

Post October 28, 2017, 02:10:05 PM

Re: October Flash Challenge: The Premise:

Jim Statton wrote:
Vila wrote:We need a few more entries for the contest, so I am going to extend the deadline until October 31st, then let the voting run for a week.

Dan

As you promised above, you said you were going to wait until Tuesday October 31st to accept stories for the October flash challenge? I was working on a good one that I was excited about entering.

Why is this site spiraling downward?


Blast! I'd forgotten that! Thank you. The votes post has been removed. That's what I get for posting while waiting for my first cup of coffee of the day to get cool enough to drink.

Dan
"Extremely difficult- Virtually impossible- However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..."
Brice Linch - Max Headroom

Commenter

Posts: 25

Joined: July 10, 2016, 11:34:19 AM

Post October 28, 2017, 02:35:01 PM

Re: October Flash Challenge: The Premise:

Vila wrote:
Jim Statton wrote:
Vila wrote:We need a few more entries for the contest, so I am going to extend the deadline until October 31st, then let the voting run for a week.

Dan

As you promised above, you said you were going to wait until Tuesday October 31st to accept stories for the October flash challenge? I was working on a good one that I was excited about entering.

Why is this site spiraling downward?


Blast! I'd forgotten that! Thank you. The votes post has been removed. That's what I get for posting while waiting for my first cup of coffee of the day to get cool enough to drink.

Dan

Thank you I'll go ahead and finish the story. Do I have until late Tuesday night?

I don't want to see anything happen to this site. I read here twice a week.

Why can't you get that guy back who had so many entries coming into the challenges. He wrote me several times about entering and helped me with my writing although I wasn't participating on the site during that time.

He seemed enthusiastic and knowledgeable.

Commenter

Posts: 25

Joined: July 10, 2016, 11:34:19 AM

Post October 29, 2017, 12:48:46 PM

Re: October Flash Challenge: The Premise:

EddieSullivan wrote:Cough..Cough. Oh that isn’t a set up at all. You have obviously been in touch with that marvelous individual. Tell me does he have his own overwhelming successful site yet?


Actually, after my post here yesterday, I did write him.

He has a writing club that submits stories by e-mail. After each entry deadline, he publishes the stories on pdf and sends them out by e-mail for reading, commenting and voting. After the voting period, he publishes the story rankings and reader comments on pdf and e-mails them back to the participants and readers.

He said he has 42 participants and 101 readers and the involvement is growing monthly.

He has businesses that donate prize money and media device products for the first 4 places each month.


I asked him if he would come back to aphelion and he said although the senior editor is a stand up guy, there were a couple of editors, who were jealous of his challenge participation. One was a former flash editor, who was too lazy to boost his challenge participation and quit with low numbers, like he expected success to just happen all by itself and another editor, who only had a few stories published in his section a year that receives practically no comments whatsoever in the forum.

He said Nate was an excellent editor who was over worked and over stressed.

He pointed out that the numbers of posts in the main section are incredibly low and there are not enough comments to justify writers submitting stories to the magazine. He said he had planned to funnel the flash participants he brought into the challenges toward commenting in the main section, but with the two editor spoilers running so many members off, it wasn't worth the effort.

He told me he was continuing Nates legacy off the site.
User avatar

Editor Emeritus

Posts: 3217

Joined: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM

Location: Kaukauna, Wisconsin (USA)

Post October 29, 2017, 04:57:29 PM

Re: October Flash Challenge: The Premise:

Well, that's flattering to me and thank you for that, but somewhat less so to my compatriots.

I've found them to be a bunch of swell eggs, to use an old phrase. No one is perfect, of course, but their hearts have always been in the right place.

Your mileage may vary.


I should like to see this legacy sometime.
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
Image
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
User avatar

Long Fiction Editor

Posts: 2491

Joined: January 11, 2010, 12:03:56 AM

Location: by the time you read this, I'll be somewhere else

Post October 30, 2017, 01:41:58 PM

Re: October Flash Challenge: The Premise:

Jim Statton wrote:Why can't you get that guy back who had so many entries coming into the challenges. He wrote me several times about entering and helped me with my writing although I wasn't participating on the site during that time.

He seemed enthusiastic and knowledgeable.

Why? Because it took most of a month to get rid of him, after his threats of flailing ban-hammer, his unwarranted removal of posts--including one by Dan Hollifield himself--and finally, his act of completely removing the entire flash contest from the 'zine so he could run it in private from his home.

"That guy" was a painful life-lesson in the importance of vetting someone before you hand them the keys to anything.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Master Critic

Posts: 767

Joined: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM

Location: Johnstown, Pa.

Post October 30, 2017, 01:50:22 PM

Re: October Flash Challenge: The Premise:

Eddie Sullivan always did a good job. Activity at Aphelion ebbs and flows with new arrivals, and some turning pro and they are very busy with their writings now. Many just more on for no reason and come back for no reason. Aphelion is a great website and many other webzines have said so!! Aphelion has remained active when many, many other sites have folded over the years, sites that began after Aphelion came on line and many patterned after Aphelion. Apheilion isn't a site you want to beat, it's a site you want to Join!!
Tesla Lives!!!

Commenter

Posts: 25

Joined: July 10, 2016, 11:34:19 AM

Post October 30, 2017, 02:13:44 PM

Re: October Flash Challenge: The Premise:

Lester Curtis wrote:
Jim Statton wrote:Why can't you get that guy back who had so many entries coming into the challenges. He wrote me several times about entering and helped me with my writing although I wasn't participating on the site during that time.

He seemed enthusiastic and knowledgeable.

Why? Because it took most of a month to get rid of him, after his threats of flailing ban-hammer, his unwarranted removal of posts--including one by Dan Hollifield himself--and finally, his act of completely removing the entire flash contest from the 'zine so he could run it in private from his home.

"That guy" was a painful life-lesson in the importance of vetting someone before you hand them the keys to anything.

If you did a good thing by getting rid of the last challenge host, then why did you not fill the void from the members who left. How hard could it be to interest writers to join? Did you not want to do the work?

Commenter

Posts: 25

Joined: July 10, 2016, 11:34:19 AM

Post October 30, 2017, 02:15:14 PM

Re: October Flash Challenge: The Premise:

EddieSullivan wrote:HAHAHAHA!
Bless his heart. He still feels that strongly about me. I haven't given him another thought till you posted here to shill for him.
I am well beyond the days of having anything to prove to him.
Tell him I said "Hi" and good luck with his "club" with the magnificent "prizes".
Also he never appeared here till well after my turn at bat under his current name. So it is interesting how he recalls so much about my time as an editor. Was he here then, possibly under a different name?

I can see for myself how so many people were run off. After you caused a large number of members to leave the site, you left the responsibility to the owner to carry the burden of running the challenges. You should have picked up the job yourself instead of leaving it to someone else to clean up your mess.

I'm one more member who is currently working on a story. You make me think that since you are an editor and staff representative, who has disdain for members who don't pat you on the back and with aphelion having such low participation throughout the site, that only a handful of people will see the story I'm writing, it makes me wonder what would be the point of finishing it.

With only half a dozen posts in the main section for October and with you coming unglued in the forum without regard for new prospective members who will read your tirade and back away from the site, maybe aphelion has seen its better days.

Commenter

Posts: 25

Joined: July 10, 2016, 11:34:19 AM

Post October 30, 2017, 09:22:34 PM

Re: October Flash Challenge: The Premise:

EddieSullivan wrote:Meh. I get 0.06-0.25 cents a word for short fiction and upward of $40-100 an hour to consult on writing. So you should be honored that I typed this long to tell you that you are a fool if you think that his way is going to lead to anything more than sitting around patting yourselves on the back going nowhere. If the little I did “drove him off” he is never going to be anything in this world. Obstacles and rejection are an essential part of the game.

You made a statement twice that you are a better editor than he is.

The difference from what I see is, he can draw large numbers of writers into work he is doing and you cannot. He can solicit businesses to donate prize money and products for the writers in his club and you cannot. He works with writers in addition to the work of his challenges and you...just talk about you.

Just my brief time communicating with you has validated his claim...that you are jealous of him and his ability.

And by the way, why didn't you take over the flash challenges after you created an unpleasant environment so that two dozen members left aphelion, leaving the responsibility to someone else. I don't see those same writers around...do you?

How many members was in his last challenge...19? You could never do that!

And if you are up to the challenge, I'm throwing down the gauntlet, take the flash challenge over again and top his highest number of participants. And maybe you might get some of those members back that you ran off.
User avatar

Senior Editor

Posts: 1048

Joined: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM

Location: Northeast Georgia, USA

Post October 30, 2017, 09:49:48 PM

Re: October Flash Challenge: The Premise:

I wish Daniel every success on his site and his flash contests. He now has everything he wanted to do here, and more besides. He runs his own site by his own rules. That's an admirable thing in and of itself. Well done, I say.

As for asking him to come back--why would he want to? He'd be giving up his own site in order to play by the rules of mine. That would be a step down for him. I wouldn't dare ask someone who has gone on to do their own thing to limit themselves or reduce their successes just to feather my own nest, as it were. Aphelion has led to the creation of other websites in the past, and probably will do in the future. That's the nature of websites. I wouldn't dream of standing in Daniel's way, or holding him back. He's found his niche. He's happy and doing what he loves. I'm happy for him. His successes are his own. He doesn't have to answer to me or anyone else. His website will live or die on its own merits. I'll never stand in his way or speak badly of him for wanting to be in charge of his own way of doing things. He's making a go of it and I say "more power to him."

Being here at Aphelion must have been stifling to him. He had a different vision, and choose to go for it. That's a good thing in my eyes. We've been doing this for 20 years, always growing, always changing, always evolving. Websites that don't evolve wind up fading away. That saddens me, but it is a fact that I've had to learn to live with.
"Extremely difficult- Virtually impossible- However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..."
Brice Linch - Max Headroom

Commenter

Posts: 25

Joined: July 10, 2016, 11:34:19 AM

Post October 30, 2017, 10:30:30 PM

Re: October Flash Challenge: The Premise:

Dan,

The two things he did say when I wrote him a couple of days ago was that he admired your sensibilities and level mindedness and he wished he could still have an ongoing friendship with you.

The idea I had about asking him to come back was I was worried by the low participation here (really low) and it seemed like a few months ago he was on his way to making that a thing of the past. I didn't know about the bad blood of the two lesser editors. But he had only good things to say about you and Nate.

As a member I see that aphelion needs two things: keeping feuds private and getting new people to the site.

I was hoping to light a fire to bring some unity from the members who are left to getting more people involved. But that is not going to do any good if you have people loud-mouthing it up in the forum. I don't know about other writers, but human drama kills creativity.

Thanks for listening.

Master Critic

Posts: 837

Joined: June 05, 2011, 02:05:03 AM

Post October 31, 2017, 10:00:52 AM

Re: October Flash Challenge: The Premise:

This thread was fun to read this morning. Since my mind is totally (censored) I kept getting images of Rocky and Bullwinkle and that little guy that snickered dressed in black with the lady smoking on that long cigarette.

Then there were railroad tracks and someone tied to the tracks.

Then there was a UFO that hovered and asked for some grey poupon, and Rocky said, "Gee, all I have is a Garmin GPS."

Then, zombie came and ate the pretty woman tied on the tracks, but only after she changed into a twinkie that talked...

Man. Such inspiration! Now, I''ve got enough inside to get me through a 5.5 yard concrete pour this morning.

Long live the dragon fly! (by the way, in my opinion, grey poupon is highly overated. Standard yellow mustard is muuuuuch better) ((unless you let it sit too long and a lot of water forms)))

Commenter

Posts: 25

Joined: July 10, 2016, 11:34:19 AM

Post October 31, 2017, 10:02:48 AM

Re: October Flash Challenge: The Premise:

EddieSullivan wrote:Lesser editor huh? Well let me be clear. He was at best a DECENT community organizer. I suspect that most of that was poaching already formed groups from his personal life such as a church group. The contest while fun requires little actual editing. The tasks that require actual editing skills he sucked at or had no idea of yet. He was at best an unproven, eager rookie. It is more likely he exited right before he got in out of his depth. Take a cue from him and back away. When it comes to writing, especially publicly and persuasively, you are out of your depth. This is evident by the fact that you don’t know the difference between an editor and a fraud. Also no matter how much you try to butter up Dan I was here first and did my time. He won’t casually censor me because of you and Daniel. Aphelion lasted this long because quality has been the measure. Daniel can have his falsely inflated quantity. If you think he has skills you should stop coming here to glean from lesser editors

So you say you are more important than me? The word you're looking for is "self-important".

Dan was the ultimate gentleman. He was kind and considerate. The common denominator in your posts has been pettiness...the operative words are "has been".

You say you can look into the future and see the failure of my life compared to your great success. People who are successful do not have to keep repeating it over and over and over again to the few people around them that will listen.

You said, "Take a cue from him and back away. When it comes to writing, especially publicly and persuasively, you are out of your depth."

Based on your posts of the last few days, then you are saying you are the example of a persuasive writer. Seriously?

Running off members in the flash challenges and then not becoming flash editor to share the workload, leaving it to someone else to pick up the pieces, what...are you scared of failure.

Commenter

Posts: 25

Joined: July 10, 2016, 11:34:19 AM

Post October 31, 2017, 11:38:04 AM

Re: October Flash Challenge: The Premise:

EddieSullivan wrote:Like I said I can't lose here. I don't care about the outcome. You are meaningless to me. This has been a diversion for me. After this evening I will be busy knocking out a novel for NaNoWriMo. I will get paid for said novel over and over. You and Daniel will still be patting each other's backs in you mutual admiration society. How do I know this? I have seen many come and go, many better than you. I have spent a lifetime perfecting my craft and years here and outside of here perfecting it. I have the credentials and social proof that I am right. Yes I am better than you, at least here in these things you desire to achieve. Your blatant disrespect of that and idolization of a cut-rate demagogue prove that you are not ready to be better.

The pinch is I am not writing here to volley back and forth with you. I am just providing you a continued opportunity to prove that you are nothing but a shill for a castaway charlatan.

Good luck. Prove me wrong. When you get a contract or significant sales on your work give me a heads up and I will be the first to congratulate you. Just pardon me if I don't hold my breath, like I said I have seen your type before.

You keep pushing the point of how successful you are, but people who have made it don't make such a big deal about it. It looks bad in public.

If you step back, you will see how arrogant, kind of crazy you are sounding, or are you past the point where you can recognize these traits.

I think you like keeping the participation here small. Easier to control and no one to show you up. Members you run off have better opportunities else where. Wherever they go, you want be there as a spoiler.

And for the record, I don't know anyone you are better than. You get up each day like everyone else, you go to bed the same, eat the same and except for verbal flatulence, you are very much the same as everyone else.

Commenter

Posts: 35

Joined: April 08, 2017, 02:13:19 PM

Post October 31, 2017, 06:09:08 PM

Re: October Flash Challenge: The Premise:

No time to write this month’s challenge. Will hope to join in the next one.

Commenter

Posts: 35

Joined: April 08, 2017, 02:13:19 PM

Post October 31, 2017, 06:09:11 PM

Re: October Flash Challenge: The Premise:

No time to write this month’s challenge. Will hope to join in the next one.

Commenter

Posts: 25

Joined: July 10, 2016, 11:34:19 AM

Post October 31, 2017, 06:58:28 PM

Re: October Flash Challenge: The Premise:

Working on mine now. Plan to have it in late tonight.

Commenter

Posts: 25

Joined: July 10, 2016, 11:34:19 AM

Post October 31, 2017, 10:12:53 PM

Re: October Flash Challenge: The Premise:

My story was just sent to Vila's pm. I hope that was right. I didn't see any rules this time on how to get the story in.
User avatar

Senior Editor

Posts: 1048

Joined: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM

Location: Northeast Georgia, USA

Post November 01, 2017, 03:48:54 PM

Re: October Flash Challenge: The Premise:

Jim Statton wrote:My story was just sent to Vila's pm. I hope that was right. I didn't see any rules this time on how to get the story in.


That was correct. I just received it and copied it to the master file. I've been out with my wife and have only now gotten back to the house. I'll post the stories after I get a bit of yard work done--before I lose the light.
"Extremely difficult- Virtually impossible- However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..."
Brice Linch - Max Headroom

Return to Fun and Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.