For Robin-By Request

Writing challenges, flash fiction, interesting anecdotes, amusements, and general miscellanea.

Moderator: Editors

Editor at Large

Post June 13, 2017, 08:15:21 AM

For Robin-By Request

This is going to be YUGE!
Ed Sullivan

The room was hot and he could smell his own body odor wafting around him. Little details like the smoothness of the stainless steel table kept drawing his attention despite his attempts to pay attention to the gun in his face.

“Enter the code Mr. President.”

“Are you going to kill me if I don’t?”

“I’m going to kill you either way. I am just going to make you suffer horrifically if you don’t do your job. You made this damn mess now everything is done.”

He ran his hand through his thin over coiffed hair. “You can’t do this, your vetted as the most loyal man in the country.”

“My mission is to make sure you safely make it to this room and then launch a counter strike.” He gestured with his free hand at the bodies littering the floor. “I have no duty to them, and once you enter that code I have no duty to you. Everything I love you killed when you antagonized the Koreans. Your politics killed my world. Now you will ensure they all die for launching their missiles then I kill you. Then me.”

His orange hands waived wildly at chest level. “The world will live and you could be with me in the new world. A rich man, important. Stupid.”

The gun went off and the president was knocked back out of his chair. He lay on the floor moaning.

“If you get up and enter the code I will put a bullet in your head, otherwise I am going to treat the shoulder wound and start breaking fingers. No not fingers I will leave those in case you come to your senses, other bones from the bottom up. I will make sure to do special work half way up, lots of nerve endings there.”

The president came up off the floor slowly and weakly. “There has to be a deal we can make.”

The gun fired again and he dropped as his knee cap was obliterated. The soldier went immediately and pulled him up by his hair which surprising stayed in place. Apparently it actually was real. He lifted him and kicked the chair into a standing position with his foot. He pushed the proclaimed leader of the free world into it once it stopped shaking.

“Put in the god damn codes or I stop being nice.”

The old man’s eyes focused and he opened the case with his dainty little orange hands. He ran through the authentication then looked over to the soldier. The weary eyed military man kicked the president out of the chair hard enough that he hit the wall. It took an extra moment to perform his part with one hand while he kept the gun trained on the president.

When he had done his part the device in the case beeped signaling the point of no return. Then he turned on his captive. He shot him in the other knee, then he blew out his ankles as well.

Surprisingly the man stayed conscious. “I thought you were going to end it quickly. You said no torture.”

The soldier turned to the thick steel door across the room and walked over. He slid his id through the reader and the door opened to the outside world. Going back into the room he grabbed the chair and rushed to the door controls smashing them to oblivion.

“I lied. You should know what a lie sounds like by now. Kind of like ‘Make America Great Again’ right?”

The president watched as the soldier put the pistol into his right eye socket and fired sending his brains flying backwards.

The door to the new world order was open and he lay there crippled till it came to him.
Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong. – Neil Gaiman

Editor at Large

Post June 13, 2017, 08:16:10 AM

Re: For Robin-By Request

Believe it or not this has been complete since the day after the new contest was announced.
Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong. – Neil Gaiman

Master Critic

Post June 13, 2017, 09:14:11 AM

Amazing coincidence Eddie. The recent news is all abuzz about the play in New York about the stabbing of the president and big league sponsors pulling out. People are funny. In this day and age of 'me' we all get wound up over weird (censored). Politics. Religion. Sex. Writing. Gluten. Global warming/cooling. Purple dinosaurs.

What the world really needs is a smile, some good food, and an open mind. Too many minds are not only closed, but locked, chained, and wrapped in steel. Not mine though, mine is too open, (gotta let out all the voices in my head)

I greatly enjoyed the imagery of the story you wrote. Every line was powerful and you could feel the tension between the two.

I served in the US Marines and Coast Guard so the military aspect of your story to follow orders was correct. At the embassies I guarded, we had authority over the Ambassador when the (censored) hit the fan. If he/she told us he/she wanted to go out of the safe room, we could physically restrain him/her.

You also pointed out something important in the story, that being betrayal is a powerful human trait. Betrayal and lies go hand in hand. Thus honor and serve are a very idealistic concept when dealing with people.

Glad you shared the story Eddie. I think you captured the essence of this months challenge very well, and I for one think it's great.

Poetry Editor

Post June 14, 2017, 06:19:40 AM

Nice one, Edward. The tension between the soldier and the Orange One was palpable. The dialogue was believable, as (sadly) was the scenario.
KNEEL before Zod!

Editor Emeritus

Post June 14, 2017, 08:10:06 PM

I think it's hard to write good political satire, but I may just be extra picky. It takes something along the subtle lines of The Wizard of Oz before I really like it.

For anybody who doesn't know, it has been said the story is actually about the follies of a "gold-based" economy that actually uses paper money instead, personified by the Emerald City, which is why at the end of the gold road is a fumbling politician without any real powers in the guise of the Wizard, aka Theodore Roosevelt. East vs. west witches. Dorothy as Everyman. Scarecrow as American farmers. Tim Man as industrial workers, etc., etc.

So I've heard it said, anyway. Not sure what the flying monkeys were supposed to represent, though... Probably something not politically correct...

Your mileage may vary.
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Poetry Editor

Post June 18, 2017, 07:00:20 PM

kailhofer wrote:Not sure what the flying monkeys were supposed to represent, though...

Why do the flying monkeys have to represent anything? Why can't they just be?
KNEEL before Zod!

Return to Fun and Games