June 2017 Flash Fiction Challenge (Writing Stage)

Writing challenges, flash fiction, interesting anecdotes, amusements, and general miscellanea.

Moderator: Editors

Guest Host

Post June 07, 2017, 09:47:42 PM

Re: June 2017 Flash Fiction Challenge (Writing Stage)

Not only 5th graders, but discerning readers everywhere appreciate that! :)
EddieSullivan wrote:I was just going to send it. But unfortunately I am out. I am definitely not the dude for 5th grade consumption. Good luck all that enter.

Commenter

Post June 07, 2017, 09:57:54 PM

Daniel Johnson wrote:I'm glad you're joining us Chrissy.

Chrissy Hampton wrote:Well I'm in. Thank you for letting me know about the challenge, Daniel.

This is so exciting! I'm a little self conscience knowing other people are going to read what I write. But well, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Master Critic

Post June 07, 2017, 10:41:06 PM

I was just thinking, and since I'm a genius, the thoughts were way beyond what anyone can understand. Basically though, because I'm not only a genius I am also the best writer ever to have played with the alphabet.

Since I am the best writer ever, (did I mention I'm a genius?) I highly suggest no one else bother submitting a story as MY story is the best (naturally) It is a story so good I'm already in talks with the movie industry and Opra is even interested in doing an interview (did I mention that I'm not only the best writer, a genius, but I'm so handsome it will be hard to find an actor to play me, though Tom Cruise or Morgan Freeman would be tolerable, or maybe Putin.)

Anyway, MY story is so good it...

"Hey Robin, knock it off. You're a moron and weird."

Yeah parasite but I'm also a genius, handsome and...

"And you're strange, your feet stink, and just because you're so full of yourself, I'M going to submit a story..."

(silence)

You can't do that parasite. You don't have any arms or hands so how could you type, let alone you look like a cross between a dolphin, pine cone, and something owls drop after a good meal.

"Sigh. Yeah, you're right, but you're also an idiot."

Yeah... A handsome, genius, best-writer-in-the world, idiot.

"Later man, (shaking its weird head in disgust) gonna go torture some sand."

Commenter

Post June 08, 2017, 08:34:51 AM

Should I try to write by outline or start with a scene and build from there. There doesn't seem to be a lot of room to develop characters or story background in a thousand words. Is there some method to this?

Editor at Large

Post June 08, 2017, 09:21:39 AM

Daniel Johnson wrote:Not only 5th graders, but discerning readers everywhere appreciate that! :)
EddieSullivan wrote:I was just going to send it. But unfortunately I am out. I am definitely not the dude for 5th grade consumption. Good luck all that enter.

Got to say man, some of the stuff you say could really be taken the wrong way. You either choose your words poorly or construct them extremely carefully. Plausible deniability? Castitas?

Anyway good luck either way. I'll be around.
Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong. – Neil Gaiman

Commenter

Post June 08, 2017, 09:37:57 AM

Daniel, I have been working on a first draft and since I haven't written a story this short before, can I send you what I have so you can tell me if I'm doing it right?

Commenter

Post June 08, 2017, 11:35:13 AM

I have some inspiration cooking.

Guest Host

Post June 08, 2017, 11:52:34 AM

You should use whatever method is more enjoyable. At this point, you need to have the experience of writing and trying different things to find out what works for you.

Make your reader do some of the writing for you by referring instead of telling. Let their imaginations fill in the gaps where you have word limitation. A little goes a long way.
Chrissy Hampton wrote:Should I try to write by outline or start with a scene and build from there. There doesn't seem to be a lot of room to develop characters or story background in a thousand words. Is there some method to this?

Guest Host

Post June 08, 2017, 11:53:25 AM

Thanks...for the good luck!
EddieSullivan wrote:
Daniel Johnson wrote:Not only 5th graders, but discerning readers everywhere appreciate that! :)

Got to say man, some of the stuff you say could really be taken the wrong way. You either choose your words poorly or construct them extremely carefully. Plausible deniability? Castitas?

Guest Host

Post June 08, 2017, 12:01:18 PM

Sure, send it to me. I'll read it out loud a couple of times and then send you my thoughts.

Mainly, have fun. Don't fret about it, just enjoy! You're not writing for a professional gig right now, this is a time to learn.

Walter Harris wrote:Daniel, I have been working on a first draft and since I haven't written a story this short before, can I send you what I have so you can tell me if I'm doing it right?

Guest Host

Post June 08, 2017, 12:03:08 PM

Good! Send some inspiration my way.
Jim Statton wrote:I have some inspiration cooking.

Commenter

Post June 08, 2017, 08:19:10 PM

I would just like to say, as a former 5th grader, I was reading Tolkien and Terry Goodkind at that age. I think opting out of a contest based on that audience is unfortunate. I'd like to think we are also here to motivate one another in our writing, and I would have loved such a support network when I was that age, dreaming of my first novel.

And when did this become the drama feed? I feel like every time I log in there's some passive aggressive posting afoot.
"Don't look back--something might be gaining on you!"

Guest Host

Post June 09, 2017, 11:19:02 AM

My remarks were neither an insult or a joke, but a statement of fact. Parents of children are and should be very cautious in the world we live in today.

But you no longer have to worry, the 5th graders are out of the challenge. Their teacher has canceled their participation due to conflicts in this thread.

EddieSullivan wrote:

Editor at Large

Post June 09, 2017, 11:54:19 AM

Daniel Johnson wrote:My remarks were neither an insult or a joke, but a statement of fact. Parents of children are and should be very cautious in the world we live in today.

But you no longer have to worry, the 5th graders are out of the challenge. Their teacher has canceled their participation due to conflicts in this thread.

EddieSullivan wrote:

Man, I so don't want to keep coming back to this thread. You make it so hard. I am done after this regardless of what is said, seriously.

dis·cern·ing.
[dəˈsərniNG]

ADJECTIVE

having or showing good judgment:

"the restaurant attracts discerning customers"

synonyms: discriminating · judicious · shrewd · clever · astute · intelligent · sharp ·
[more]

That was insulting Daniel. You either meant it or your vocabulary sucks and you should not be advising people on writing. Stop with the milquetoast, passive aggressive crap. I would gladly bow out of any contest to let others regardless of age experience this forum. Stop playing these games please. You bring a lot to the table and it would be a shame for a true conflict to ensue from this point on. I would either win and you would be gone or I would be gone and have plenty of other venues to attend to at multiple levels in my paid writing career. You are out of your league right now and bordering on belligerent. There is no need to respond. Just stop and this will go no further.
Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong. – Neil Gaiman

Guest Host

Post June 09, 2017, 02:08:47 PM

If you think I insulted you, I did not. Now you have my testimony on that. I hope this satisfies you.

These challenges are about writers perfecting their abilities. You should know that.

This challenge has too many disruptions for new people to enjoy it.

So, I'm conducting the rest of June's challenge by e-mail so the participants can send in stories and vote without coming to the forums.

I will still post the stories for voting in the next thread during the voting stage.

EddieSullivan wrote:
Daniel Johnson wrote:My remarks were neither an insult or a joke, but a statement of fact. Parents of children are and should be very cautious in the world we live in today.

EddieSullivan wrote:

Man, I so don't want to keep coming back to this thread. You make it so hard. I am done after this regardless of what is said, seriously.

dis·cern·ing.
[dəˈsərniNG]

ADJECTIVE

having or showing good judgment:

"the restaurant attracts discerning customers"

synonyms: discriminating · judicious · shrewd · clever · astute · intelligent · sharp ·
[more]

That was insulting Daniel. You either meant it or your vocabulary sucks and you should not be advising people on writing. Stop with the milquetoast, passive aggressive crap. I would gladly bow out of any contest to let others regardless of age experience this forum. Stop playing these games please. You bring a lot to the table and it would be a shame for a true conflict to ensue from this point on. I would either win and you would be gone or I would be gone and have plenty of other venues to attend to at multiple levels in my paid writing career. You are out of your league right now and bordering on belligerent. There is no need to respond. Just stop and this will go no further.

Master Critic

Post June 09, 2017, 08:00:16 PM

Way cool. A story within a story. The best kind.

Words. Situations. Plot. Emotions. Well done.

If any of you readers out there have not yet written something for the challenge, you should try.

I've had a ball submitting stories for these monthly contests. Of course I'm waaaaay too set in my ways to even attempt to try and improve my writing skills as I'm just having fun letting whatever comes out, come out.

The good news for new writers though is that you get your feet wet in an environment where others will either like it, hate it, or care less as their eyes glaze over. That's the world of writing.

No matter the age, gender, nationality, or species (well, maybe species matters, I mean, I once read a story written on the sand by a crab...must say, not impressed) No matter though, writing is a part of being human. People have always been telling stories from way back in the day of caves and cave art.

To the new people coming to Aphelion, welcome! This site really is a good one compared to the many I've perused. Good editors. Good people. All having something to contribute. Well, except for that (censored) parasite.

Finally, some advice for new writers, (or old writers) Don't take it to heart what others 'think' about your work. (unless you want too) I've read stuff most people despise and despised some of the greatest. Shakespeare comes to mind. To me, he was an idiot.

Eddie, I wish you'd submit your story, I enjoy reading your work. And, thanks again for the work Daniel. I know I sure as (censored) would not want to be in charge of anything more than programming a toaster.

Long Fiction Editor

Post June 09, 2017, 08:30:46 PM

You can't program a toaster. Regardless of what the dial may say, every one I've ever seen has only two possible settings: lukewarm limp, or charcoal.

Thanks, Robin; always good to have you around.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Master Critic

Post June 10, 2017, 09:55:29 AM

I bought one of them fancy toasters at Costco... Dang if it ain't more complicated than a space ship. All LED with two slots and it can tell the difference between a bagel or some socks there were wet and I need to dry out for work. (used to use the microwave but even the microwave got smart). The thing likes to torture me and play with my mind.

Now, on a related note, how come on toasters you put two slices in and only one comes out? Sorta like a dryer. Can't count how many single socks I now own. And, as to toast. One pops up and the other looks like it is being digested... I swear machines are out to destroy mankind.

Are you going to submit a story Lester? If I may suggest, how about one regarding the cat? Of all the species that are totally into themselves, cats 'pop' (still thinking about the toaster) into mind. And cats set themselves up for some pretty interesting problems with their self-absorbed lifestyles.

Good hearing from you. And it will be great if a whole lot of writers get involved with Aphelion as that is what it is all about. Writing, reading, and even an occasional debate on which way toilet paper should be hung on the wall. (I favor it hangs next to the wall and not away from it, though to mess it all up if you hang it on its own stand away from the wall it negates the debate... unless one does not use toilet paper and...)

"Robin, go to work. You're an idiot"

Yep. Time to go play in mud.

Long Fiction Editor

Post June 10, 2017, 01:46:11 PM

Well, I thought of one this morning, but I it wouldn't qualify because it doesn't have any SF, fantasy or horror elements. Still, the basic idea is about a woman who's a bus driver. This driver takes a job replacing a driver who retired. She immediately begins yelling about how the bus company's rules allow her to throw passengers out the window for chewing gum or saying anything she doesn't like. On her first run, she only makes half her stops to let passengers off. On her second run she insults a former driver who used to have the same route, then she hijacks the entire bus, all the while threatening to eject passengers and--somehow--even the other drivers. Years later, she wonders why the only job she can get is shoveling out stables.

I sort of intended this to be a parody of that guy in the Oval Office, but I don't think it works.

Master Critic

Post June 11, 2017, 10:48:35 AM

That's a good story Lester, I think they call that life. Another story like like is called, fowling your own nest. And like all literature, open to perspective.

Obama haters hated whatever the man did and lovers loved whatever the man did. Same for Trump. Same for the bus driver. Same for me (that's why the only job I can get is shoveling (censored) in horse stables.

You bring up a good point though, about SF, fantasy, or horror. That point being that if one reads the daily news, my (censored, censored, and censored) goodness... "Mother lets baby roast to death in car while she is inside bar getting drunk." When writing, it would be easy to say, "The female ogre, poison dripping from her sharp teeth ate a little baby softly sleeping in a Lexus while the mother running a quick errand to see if there was any money in the mail. Money needed to feed orphans..."

It is sooooo easy to take anything people do and give it a SF, fantasy, or horror element. I think just about everyone's life is an example.

Man, what a beautiful day outside today! Let the pollen gods unleash the treasury of eye irritating, snot flowing,little seeds of destruction. ( A fantasy twist to state, (censored) pollen count is gonna be astronomical today, probably a whole box of tissue used.)

Long Fiction Editor

Post June 11, 2017, 12:47:06 PM

Oh, I easily could have; I actually did come up with a plot line involving, I think, intervention by a wizard; I've already forgotten it. I just chose not to.

Master Critic

Post June 17, 2017, 11:18:35 PM

Well, that's too bad. Got a message from Daniel and looks like the flash fiction challenge will be in need of a new honcho or honchoette. (is honchoette politically correct?)

From my perspective this Daniel did a great job. For sure, got a lot more people interested in entering.

Disagreements are a great part of the human species. If everyone agreed totally with each other then the first caveman who thought that dropping into the mouth of an active volcano was not only fun but that whatever 'god' spoke to him from a coconut... and everyone agreed. Then, there'd be no human species ( of course, the women cavemen would never agree as they ALWAYS disagree ((speaking from personal experience)) But then, we'd have a tribe of Amazons, no breeders...end result: Disagreements are good as that is how stuff gets worked out.

Now, in my opinion...

"Ha! Opinion? Robin, you're a Mmmff...mff (censored censored censored, and censored) Quit holding your hand over my moufff mmff..mmfff.)"

As I was saying. Aphelion has been the best writing forum I've had the pleasure of enjoying. It used to be Poetry Circle but the disagreements here are paltry and amateur compared to the (censored, censored, censored X infinity of 'that' place)

Having been here for a few years now, I've got to correspond with some of the editors. Even made friends with Mark and his site (currently in hibernation) Along the way I can only remember two times when the flames burned a little hot, and this is good... Good, because writers should be on the cutting edge of emotions. They should cry. They should laugh. They should get mad, angry, happy, hungry... They should send me money. (just kidding about the hungry part, they should still send me money.

I for one, enjoyed the exchange between Daniel and Eddie. Why? Because it could have been story. An illusion. Or, it could have been real. It invoked passion. Emotions. Eddie even submitted a nice story dealing with the aspect of 'Me'.

It is a hard job to be a volunteer. Learned this the hard way by being el presidente of our homeowners association. There were moments I'd rather herd house cats to Texas while covered in fire ants.

So. To Daniel. Eddie. Any and all who volunteer and make this site what it is, I, a (censored) idiot, am thankful. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Now, getting back to the serious part: My address to send money to is, PO Box 3297563827-123-12 Inmate# 13 San Antonio Male Correction Center, San Antonio Texas, 999932

Poetry Editor

Post June 18, 2017, 06:58:02 PM

Lipinski wrote:Now, getting back to the serious part: My address to send money to is, PO Box 3297563827-123-12 Inmate# 13 San Antonio Male Correction Center, San Antonio Texas, 999932

Funny, I thought you were inmate #13 at the Arkham Asylum for the Criminally Insane, 172 Aparo Way, Gotham
KNEEL before Zod!

Master Critic

Post June 18, 2017, 09:51:28 PM

Ssssshhh... (looking left and right)

How did you find out? There must be a leak. Ever since Trump was elected the leaks seem to be getting bigger.

And for the record, I am not nor have I ever been an inmate at the Arkham Aslyum for the criminally insane... Well, not officially.

You see, after trying to rob Fort Knox while naked with leaves taped to my body, I've been freelancing as an advisor to the authorities as to what kind of weird stuff a criminal can do.

As for Fort Knox, I was successful in being able to gain access as the guards were hysterial, bent over in laughter. It was a perfect plan until I realized two very important things. First, never tape leaves (with super glue and gorilla glue) to the, um, uh... the male appendage. (sure, it goes on easy but the dismount?) And second. Gold is very very heavy.

The people at Arkham have been very nice to deal with. The clothing is snug and has a cool label, 'Le Straight Jacket'. And they sure know how to cook! Spam for breakfast, Spam for lunch, and Gruel for dinner. And the entertainment is beyond par.

Last night, Vinny the Knife ( He writes illustrated children's books) stabbed a male nurse. It seemed so real. Blood. Gore. Got a standing ovation.

And the other night, it was so very entertaining to watch an orderly use a night stick in such a way that the people in India who wrote the Sutra book could have taken a few pointers or two... or, three four, twenty

So no. Never an inmate. Just visiting. And hoping they'll let me out in time for the countries bicenttenial in 1976.
Previous

Return to Fun and Games