June 2017 Flash Fiction Challenge (Writing Stage)


Writing challenges, flash fiction, interesting anecdotes, amusements, and general miscellanea.

Moderator: Editors

User avatar

Guest Host

Posts: 161

Joined: April 23, 2016, 01:32:10 AM

Post June 04, 2017, 10:04:34 PM

June 2017 Flash Fiction Challenge (Writing Stage)

The Independently Stupid Challenge


Have you ever known anyone who was so self absorbed, so over confident, so cocky, that they believe the world revolves around them? Have you seen such a person in the media or characterized in a work of fiction?

Such a person lives in a world of their own. Real life is filtered out by their over inflated view of their superior nature. They see everyone around them being there to serve them.

The people who interact with this person wait for this ticking time bomb to go off. It’s just a matter of time. So they hold their breath in anticipation.

And when it does happen, the hapless fool blames everyone but themselves. And in most cases, everyone around them pays the price, except the incredibly stupid person at the center of it all.

This person could be successful or just an everyday person.

They could be…

  • a politician.
  • a boyfriend, girlfriend or spouse.
  • an alcoholic or drug addict.
  • a famous singer, actor, sports figure or media personality.
  • a boss.
  • a prostitute, pimp or stripper.
  • a parent or child.
  • an insensitive neighbor. Example - preparing to cut a tree down facing their neighbor‘s house.

What do you do when you meet a person like that? Do you give them plenty of room when you pass by them? Do you stand toe to toe with them and tell them what a bad person they are? Or do you strategically out maneuver them?

We're waiting for you to entertain us.


Requirements:

(1) It is hereby your challenge to write a story that shows such an incredibly stupid person and where you take this person’s character and the reactions of others in the story to them.

(2) The story must have a word count of 1,000 words or less, counting every word being submitted, including title, author's name and the words "The End" at the end.

(3) The story must have a title with the author’s name below it.

(4) Keep it clean.

(5) No bold or italics formatting. No colors, artwork and no embedded or external links can be used.

All text must be the same size and font.

Whole words cannot be capitalized.

Leave an extra line between paragraphs.

(6) One entry per author.

(7) Everything in your story must be original fiction. Every name, setting/place, business, product, organization etc. must come from your mind and not previously exist prior to this challenge. The fun part of writing is the world building so go and build an exciting one.


Genre Selection:

Aphelion Webzine utilizes three main genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror. It will be your choice which of the main genres you select for your story.

However if you like, you are given the resource of blending any of the following secondary genres into one of the main three.

They are: Comedy/Satire, Romance, Western, Drama, Crime/Detective, Suspense/Thriller, Mystery, Supernatural and Adventure.

Just as long as the story incorporates one of the main three genres.

I offer these additional genres for you to use like a painter’s pallet. Color your story with essences and nuances, adding depth and feeling to your work.


How To Enter:

Stories must be sent to Daniel Johnson by e-mail at this address flash@aphelion-webzine.com and not posted into the forum. Click on this address and include your story either in the body of the e-mail or by a Word doc. attachment.


Deadline:

The writing stage of the challenge will be from Sunday June 4, 2017 to 5 pm Sunday June 25, 2017 (Central Standard Time).

The voting stage of the challenge will be from Sunday June 25, 2017 to 5 pm Sunday July 2, 2017 (Central Standard Time). Voting results will be posted thereafter.

The rules and method of voting will be announced when the stories are posted for voting.


Commenting:

You may communicate about anything of interest to you, including topics about writing and story crafting. About things gong on in your everyday life. Things in the news or any particular item you are interested in buying in the stores. You can talk about movies, songs, sporting events, anything at all as long as it is clean.

I want to kick up the conversation in this forum topic while we are waiting for the stories to be written. It is about camaraderie. Enjoy the friendships you have here and create some new ones.


Legal Announcement:

After this month’s challenge, all entries will be reposted in the Flash Archive with the author's names.

By entering this challenge you are technically granting Aphelion Webzine perpetual electronic rights to post and archive your challenge entries on our site. Otherwise, Aphelion has no claim on any author’s works.


Protective Measures:

I want peaceful discourse. You can say what you want as long as it is not disruptive or becomes a conflict.

I am the person who will make that decision.

If there are problems in the challenges, I will use six tiers of discipline to resolve it so the participants and the readers (many of them students I‘ve invited to the challenges), can enjoy the flow of conversation and stories.

They are:

01. I will ask nicely.
02. Warn someone through the moderator controls.
03. Bar from the challenges (still free to use the rest of the site).
04. Ban from the entire site for 1 day.
05. Ban from the entire site for 1 month.
06. Ban from the entire site permanently.

I don’t want to use any of these, so…be nice!

Commenter

Posts: 9

Joined: July 23, 2016, 11:27:15 PM

Post June 04, 2017, 10:48:09 PM

Re: June 2017 Flash Fiction Challenge (Writing Stage)

This is hilarious! I already got three ideas, I'll have to pick one.

I can't wait to get into this. Good job Daniel!
User avatar

Guest Host

Posts: 161

Joined: April 23, 2016, 01:32:10 AM

Post June 05, 2017, 01:18:16 AM

Re: June 2017 Flash Fiction Challenge (Writing Stage)

technobabbler wrote:This is hilarious! I already got three ideas, I'll have to pick one.

I can't wait to get into this. Good job Daniel!

You know Shane, you can take this in a serious direction also. Try looking at it different ways and choose what makes you the happiest.
User avatar

Editor at Large

Posts: 748

Joined: March 01, 2014, 05:11:50 PM

Location: Just look under your bed

Post June 05, 2017, 06:02:20 AM

Re: June 2017 Flash Fiction Challenge (Writing Stage)

Protective Measures:

I want peaceful discourse. You can say what you want as long as it is not disruptive or becomes a conflict.

I am the person who will make that decision.

If there are problems in the challenges, I will use six tiers of discipline to resolve it so the participants and the readers (many of them students I‘ve invited to the challenges), can enjoy the flow of conversation and stories.

They are:

01. I will ask nicely.
02. Warn someone through the moderator controls.
03. Bar from the challenges (still free to use the rest of the site).
04. Ban from the entire site for 1 day.
05. Ban from the entire site for 1 month.
06. Ban from the entire site permanently.

I don’t want to use any of these, so…be nice!



Daniel,

First I think you are doing a great job at this challenge. You quantitative results put mine to shame when I was in your place. That being said I feel the need to address publicly that the section I have quoted is in error. Your purview doesn't extend that far. You are not the sole arbiter of what goes on here and certainly do not have the final say. Basically numbers 4-6 are beyond you entirely. You also seem to be exercising what discretion you do have in a heavy handed manner. We tend to be a bit more diplomatic usually.

I felt you and anyone reading your post should be aware of this.
Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong. – Neil Gaiman
User avatar

Master Critic

Posts: 1158

Joined: September 18, 2009, 05:02:54 AM

Location: Italy

Post June 05, 2017, 06:58:56 AM

Re: June 2017 Flash Fiction Challenge (Writing Stage)

Mine is completed and will be sent as soon as possible, maybe tomorrow, after receiving the most useful reviews/suggestions of course...eh,eh
User avatar

Guest Host

Posts: 161

Joined: April 23, 2016, 01:32:10 AM

Post June 05, 2017, 07:21:23 AM

Re: June 2017 Flash Fiction Challenge (Writing Stage)

Eddie,

Dan Hollifield has approved the protective measures I have set up in our written communications leading up to this challenge. The 4-6 weightier points were already set up by Dan in Administrivia to settle forum disruptions. They are posted here. viewtopic.php?f=47&t=13331

He has pledged support for me to run the Flash Fiction section as I see fit. That's what I'm doing.

Nobody wants to be heavy handed. I've read all the challenge posts in the Fun and Games section. A number of disruptions in the challenges of the past have run off editors and members. I do not want that to repeat especially with so many students joining us.

EddieSullivan wrote:

Daniel,

First I think you are doing a great job at this challenge. You quantitative results put mine to shame when I was in your place. That being said I feel the need to address publicly that the section I have quoted is in error. Your purview doesn't extend that far. You are not the sole arbiter of what goes on here and certainly do not have the final say. Basically numbers 4-6 are beyond you entirely. You also seem to be exercising what discretion you do have in a heavy handed manner. We tend to be a bit more diplomatic usually.

I felt you and anyone reading your post should be aware of this.
User avatar

Long Fiction Editor

Posts: 2492

Joined: January 11, 2010, 12:03:56 AM

Location: by the time you read this, I'll be somewhere else

Post June 05, 2017, 11:50:57 AM

Re: June 2017 Flash Fiction Challenge (Writing Stage)

I want to add a little more for clarification on intellectual property rights. The following is taken from the Flash Fiction submission guidelines, but is the same for all work submitted to us:
Copyright:

Aphelion asks only the right to publish the work once in our webzine and all other rights are kept by the author. We ask to be able to archive the published work, but will remove a work from the archive at the authors request (so as not to interfere with potentially paying markets). From time to time, we may run 'best of' selections, in which we may re-run previously published material. If you do not wish to allow your work to be included for consideration in this manner, please let us know.

Publishers consider this to be a grant of 'first electronic rights.' Note that it's up to the individual publisher to define a work as 'unpublished;' some count unpaid first electronic rights as publication and some don't. See the publisher's own submission guidelines, and if you aren't sure, ask them.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?
User avatar

Editor Emeritus

Posts: 3217

Joined: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM

Location: Kaukauna, Wisconsin (USA)

Post June 05, 2017, 12:03:37 PM

Re: June 2017 Flash Fiction Challenge (Writing Stage)

Copyright is a complicated item, even for editors. In this case, I believe the way Daniel has them stated is correct.
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
Image
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
User avatar

Guest Host

Posts: 161

Joined: April 23, 2016, 01:32:10 AM

Post June 05, 2017, 12:14:35 PM

Re: June 2017 Flash Fiction Challenge (Writing Stage)

Nate trained me early on that many of the rules he instituted were because of problems or needs that occurred as he went along.

The more I do this, the more I can see that.

Lester, later tonight I can modify the Legal Announcement to incorporate the copyright statement you mentioned below. I just want to keep things ultra simple...always.

We have coming in a lot of people who never have been on a forum or have never written anything creative.

Simplicity is the best teacher.

Hey, I kind of like that!

Lester Curtis wrote:I want to add a little more for clarification on intellectual property rights. The following is taken from the Flash Fiction submission guidelines, but is the same for all work submitted to us:
Copyright:

Aphelion asks only the right to publish the work once in our webzine and all other rights are kept by the author. We ask to be able to archive the published work, but will remove a work from the archive at the authors request (so as not to interfere with potentially paying markets). From time to time, we may run 'best of' selections, in which we may re-run previously published material. If you do not wish to allow your work to be included for consideration in this manner, please let us know.

Publishers consider this to be a grant of 'first electronic rights.' Note that it's up to the individual publisher to define a work as 'unpublished;' some count unpaid first electronic rights as publication and some don't. See the publisher's own submission guidelines, and if you aren't sure, ask them.
User avatar

Guest Host

Posts: 161

Joined: April 23, 2016, 01:32:10 AM

Post June 05, 2017, 01:18:51 PM

Re: June 2017 Flash Fiction Challenge (Writing Stage)

To kick off the conversation, I make the best hamburgers in the world. It cost $10 to make each burger, but it's worth it.

I make it with ground prime rib that's been marinating in au jus sauce 6 hours before putting the meat in a hand crank grinder. I treat the sliced tomato, fresh spinach and onion in raspberry vinaigrette which I also make. Instead of mayonnaise, I use horse radish white sauce for the condiment. I toast the sesame seed buns for 30 seconds before putting it together.

Serious eating!

Commenter

Posts: 3

Joined: December 04, 2016, 02:24:03 AM

Post June 05, 2017, 05:38:08 PM

Re: June 2017 Flash Fiction Challenge (Writing Stage)

Can we mix genres in a way that may not be usually done. Like horror/comedy? Or sci fi/ romance?
User avatar

Editor Emeritus

Posts: 3217

Joined: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM

Location: Kaukauna, Wisconsin (USA)

Post June 05, 2017, 06:45:57 PM

Re: June 2017 Flash Fiction Challenge (Writing Stage)

Daniel Johnson wrote:Nate trained me early on that many of the rules he instituted were because of problems or needs that occurred as he went along.

The more I do this, the more I can see that.

Lester, later tonight I can modify the Legal Announcement to incorporate the copyright statement you mentioned below. I just want to keep things ultra simple...always.

We have coming in a lot of people who never have been on a forum or have never written anything creative.

Simplicity is the best teacher.

Hey, I kind of like that!


It may be worded a little more simply, but it actually says the same thing. We will publish, we will archive, and publish again (in best ofs). If someone wants to be super picky, first and perpetual electronic rights would perhaps be more accurate. But archival rights are "perpetual" rights. It's a another word for the same thing.
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
Image
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Master Critic

Posts: 839

Joined: June 05, 2011, 02:05:03 AM

Post June 05, 2017, 07:58:45 PM

Re: June 2017 Flash Fiction Challenge (Writing Stage)

Daniel Johnson wrote:To kick off the conversation, I make the best hamburgers in the world. It cost $10 to make each burger, but it's worth it.

I make it with ground prime rib that's been marinating in au jus


Au contraire, you have not lived until you have tasted the best hamburger in the near 100 light years, made by the parasite. It is a special mixture of agis roots ground with the hearts of Celtic fairies preserved for over 5000 years in a brine of whale tears. Next, a tincture of flaked armadillo hair is allowed to ferment along with a very aged and old batch of mead. (the honey combs combined with the sweet blood of a dragon)

The main filler for meat is the back loins from a male unicorn. You see, when the black blood of a dragon (very very sweet, and rare) is mixed with the white meat of a male unicorn...Wow!

Since there is dragon blood the heat source to cook the burger comes from the center of a binary star. It is a bit hard but well worth the effort.

Now, as far as condiments go, your basic Heinz ketchup, yellow mustard, and K-mart brand of relish will work fine. However, the bun is a bit tricky when dealing with a scrumptious patty rocking the thermometer at 25,000 degree's. Sometimes cooling it in the breezes of Andrioon will help.

And after eating such a wonderful treat, it makes beef from an earth cow seem like chewing on leather.
*
Now as far as my attempts at making burgers. Best to eat the meat raw as usually hockey pucks and charcoal bread.
User avatar

Guest Host

Posts: 161

Joined: April 23, 2016, 01:32:10 AM

Post June 05, 2017, 10:22:09 PM

Re: June 2017 Flash Fiction Challenge (Writing Stage)

Thank you for the thoughts. I will consider that as well.

kailhofer wrote:
Daniel Johnson wrote:Nate trained me early on that many of the rules he instituted were because of problems or needs that occurred as he went along.

The more I do this, the more I can see that.

Lester, later tonight I can modify the Legal Announcement to incorporate the copyright statement you mentioned below. I just want to keep things ultra simple...always.

We have coming in a lot of people who never have been on a forum or have never written anything creative.

Simplicity is the best teacher.

Hey, I kind of like that!


It may be worded a little more simply, but it actually says the same thing. We will publish, we will archive, and publish again (in best ofs). If someone wants to be super picky, first and perpetual electronic rights would perhaps be more accurate. But archival rights are "perpetual" rights. It's a another word for the same thing.
User avatar

Guest Host

Posts: 161

Joined: April 23, 2016, 01:32:10 AM

Post June 05, 2017, 10:26:19 PM

Re: June 2017 Flash Fiction Challenge (Writing Stage)

The next time I'm riding the giant flying dog in "The Never Ending Story", I will try these fantasy burgers you speak of.

Lipinski wrote:
Daniel Johnson wrote:To kick off the conversation, I make the best hamburgers in the world. It cost $10 to make each burger, but it's worth it.

I make it with ground prime rib that's been marinating in au jus


Au contraire, you have not lived until you have tasted the best hamburger in the near 100 light years, made by the parasite. It is a special mixture of agis roots ground with the hearts of Celtic fairies preserved for over 5000 years in a brine of whale tears. Next, a tincture of flaked armadillo hair is allowed to ferment along with a very aged and old batch of mead. (the honey combs combined with the sweet blood of a dragon)

The main filler for meat is the back loins from a male unicorn. You see, when the black blood of a dragon (very very sweet, and rare) is mixed with the white meat of a male unicorn...Wow!

Since there is dragon blood the heat source to cook the burger comes from the center of a binary star. It is a bit hard but well worth the effort.

Now, as far as condiments go, your basic Heinz ketchup, yellow mustard, and K-mart brand of relish will work fine. However, the bun is a bit tricky when dealing with a scrumptious patty rocking the thermometer at 25,000 degree's. Sometimes cooling it in the breezes of Andrioon will help.

And after eating such a wonderful treat, it makes beef from an earth cow seem like chewing on leather.
*
Now as far as my attempts at making burgers. Best to eat the meat raw as usually hockey pucks and charcoal bread.

Master Critic

Posts: 839

Joined: June 05, 2011, 02:05:03 AM

Post June 06, 2017, 12:40:08 AM

Re: June 2017 Flash Fiction Challenge (Writing Stage)

I know, right? I mean who could ever imagine eating hockey pucks and charcoal bread...

Completely forgot about the flying dog until you mentioned it.

*
Okay all. I submitted my piece for this month. Get to it now. Just imagine having Lester read 300 entries. Why, the possibilities are endless! I'm thinking that at #243 his head will explode and little tiny chocolates will fall out, or a cat, or maybe a werewolf...

Actually, thinking this month will break records for submitted stories.
User avatar

Guest Host

Posts: 161

Joined: April 23, 2016, 01:32:10 AM

Post June 06, 2017, 01:09:37 AM

Re: June 2017 Flash Fiction Challenge (Writing Stage)

After reviewing everything, the Legal Announcement is perfect the way Nate says.

Legal Announcement:

By entering this challenge you are technically granting Aphelion Webzine perpetual electronic rights to post and archive your challenge entries on our site. Otherwise, Aphelion has no claim on any author’s works.

Lester Curtis's Suggestion wrote:I want to add a little more for clarification on intellectual property rights. The following is taken from the Flash Fiction submission guidelines, but is the same for all work submitted to us:

Copyright:

Aphelion asks only the right to publish the work once in our webzine and all other rights are kept by the author. We ask to be able to archive the published work, but will remove a work from the archive at the authors request (so as not to interfere with potentially paying markets). From time to time, we may run 'best of' selections, in which we may re-run previously published material. If you do not wish to allow your work to be included for consideration in this manner, please let us know.

Publishers consider this to be a grant of 'first electronic rights.' Note that it's up to the individual publisher to define a work as 'unpublished;' some count unpaid first electronic rights as publication and some don't. See the publisher's own submission guidelines, and if you aren't sure, ask them.
User avatar

Master Critic

Posts: 1158

Joined: September 18, 2009, 05:02:54 AM

Location: Italy

Post June 06, 2017, 04:26:46 AM

Re: June 2017 Flash Fiction Challenge (Writing Stage)

My entry has been sent today...

Master Critic

Posts: 767

Joined: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM

Location: Johnstown, Pa.

Post June 06, 2017, 08:19:51 AM

Re: June 2017 Flash Fiction Challenge (Writing Stage)

I'm in this month I have an idea for a story now in the writing stage. The big mouth usually knows nothing, does nothing and creates 'hate and discontent' in the work place!! The tone and volume of the 'Big Mouth's' voice amps up because it is exponentially inversely proportional to a lack of knowledge! If they know nothing about music, they'll tell you how to sing or conduct a major symphony! If it comes to politics or religion-----just walk away!! But, I do have to say they can be very entertaining. Just listen to two big mouths argue!! It's better than any sitcom!!!
Tesla Lives!!!

Commenter

Posts: 5

Joined: August 10, 2016, 05:49:51 PM

Post June 06, 2017, 02:47:02 PM

Re: June 2017 Flash Fiction Challenge (Writing Stage)

Carroll Lambert wrote:Can we mix genres in a way that may not be usually done. Like horror/comedy? Or sci fi/ romance?

That seems to me to be what Daniel is saying, as long as the story contains one of the first three genres. I've seen horror comedy movies before like, The Rocky Horror Picture Show but I've never seen a sci fi romance.

I wonder if something like that has ever been done. I'm not talking about romance in sci fi, but about the whole thing being about a perfect blending of those two genres.

I've put up posters at school Daniel the way we talked about. I'm getting a lot of e-mail responses which I will forward to you.

Doug
User avatar

Editor Emeritus

Posts: 3217

Joined: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM

Location: Kaukauna, Wisconsin (USA)

Post June 07, 2017, 12:10:30 AM

Re: June 2017 Flash Fiction Challenge (Writing Stage)

Doug Minton wrote:That seems to me to be what Daniel is saying, as long as the story contains one of the first three genres. I've seen horror comedy movies before like, The Rocky Horror Picture Show but I've never seen a sci fi romance.


Ever seen the Pixar movie WALL-E? Both halves of the romantic couple weren't even humans, but it was an excellent romance. Also excellent sci-fi.
I've put up posters at school Daniel the way we talked about. I'm getting a lot of e-mail responses which I will forward to you.

Doug

I hope you don't mind me asking, but what level school are these posters in? Aphelion is an all audiences, all ages magazine, so I'm not saying anything against it. I'm simply curious what age groups are being recruited.
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
Image
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Commenter

Posts: 9

Joined: July 23, 2016, 11:27:15 PM

Post June 07, 2017, 12:55:57 AM

Re: June 2017 Flash Fiction Challenge (Writing Stage)

I'm thinking about doing a horror/detective type of story, but I was wondering, how far is too far on gore and violence. I'll do it clean, but I just want to know where the boundaries are.

Commenter

Posts: 10

Joined: July 17, 2016, 11:42:56 AM

Post June 07, 2017, 12:40:04 PM

Re: June 2017 Flash Fiction Challenge (Writing Stage)

Well I'm in. Thank you for letting me know about the challenge, Daniel.
User avatar

Guest Host

Posts: 161

Joined: April 23, 2016, 01:32:10 AM

Post June 07, 2017, 01:00:48 PM

Re: June 2017 Flash Fiction Challenge (Writing Stage)

That's part of your creative freedom, Carroll. I set up the genre selection in this way to spark inspiration.

Sure, try new things!

Carroll Lambert wrote:Can we mix genres in a way that may not be usually done. Like horror/comedy? Or sci fi/ romance?
User avatar

Guest Host

Posts: 161

Joined: April 23, 2016, 01:32:10 AM

Post June 07, 2017, 01:03:30 PM

Re: June 2017 Flash Fiction Challenge (Writing Stage)

You're just getting better and better as a writer.

ente per ente wrote:My entry has been sent today...
User avatar

Guest Host

Posts: 161

Joined: April 23, 2016, 01:32:10 AM

Post June 07, 2017, 01:05:10 PM

Re: June 2017 Flash Fiction Challenge (Writing Stage)

I'm so glad you're in. You got a great concept. It sounds like you have had experience with these types of people. Look forward to your story.

Megawatts wrote:I'm in this month I have an idea for a story now in the writing stage. The big mouth usually knows nothing, does nothing and creates 'hate and discontent' in the work place!! The tone and volume of the 'Big Mouth's' voice amps up because it is exponentially inversely proportional to a lack of knowledge! If they know nothing about music, they'll tell you how to sing or conduct a major symphony! If it comes to politics or religion-----just walk away!! But, I do have to say they can be very entertaining. Just listen to two big mouths argue!! It's better than any sitcom!!!
User avatar

Guest Host

Posts: 161

Joined: April 23, 2016, 01:32:10 AM

Post June 07, 2017, 01:08:21 PM

Re: June 2017 Flash Fiction Challenge (Writing Stage)

As I was telling Carroll, try experimental writing if you like - that's the best way to grow your skills.

You had a good idea about the publicity. I got the e-mail responses. Thanks!

Doug Minton wrote:
Carroll Lambert wrote:Can we mix genres in a way that may not be usually done. Like horror/comedy? Or sci fi/ romance?

That seems to me to be what Daniel is saying, as long as the story contains one of the first three genres. I've seen horror comedy movies before like, The Rocky Horror Picture Show but I've never seen a sci fi romance.

I wonder if something like that has ever been done. I'm not talking about romance in sci fi, but about the whole thing being about a perfect blending of those two genres.

I've put up posters at school Daniel the way we talked about. I'm getting a lot of e-mail responses which I will forward to you.

Doug
User avatar

Guest Host

Posts: 161

Joined: April 23, 2016, 01:32:10 AM

Post June 07, 2017, 01:10:44 PM

Re: June 2017 Flash Fiction Challenge (Writing Stage)

That's a really good question.

We're having 5th graders and high school students enter this challenge so gear your story towards that level.

technobabbler wrote:I'm thinking about doing a horror/detective type of story, but I was wondering, how far is too far on gore and violence. I'll do it clean, but I just want to know where the boundaries are.
User avatar

Guest Host

Posts: 161

Joined: April 23, 2016, 01:32:10 AM

Post June 07, 2017, 01:16:28 PM

Re: June 2017 Flash Fiction Challenge (Writing Stage)

I'm glad you're joining us Chrissy.

Chrissy Hampton wrote:Well I'm in. Thank you for letting me know about the challenge, Daniel.
User avatar

Editor at Large

Posts: 748

Joined: March 01, 2014, 05:11:50 PM

Location: Just look under your bed

Post June 07, 2017, 08:54:04 PM

Re: June 2017 Flash Fiction Challenge (Writing Stage)

I was just going to send it. But unfortunately I am out. I am definitely not the dude for 5th grade consumption. Good luck all that enter.
Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong. – Neil Gaiman
Next

Return to Fun and Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Semrush [Bot] and 1 guest

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.