[POLL] Vote: December 2016 Flash Challenge

Writing challenges, flash fiction, interesting anecdotes, amusements, and general miscellanea.

Moderator: Editors

Editor Emeritus

Post December 27, 2016, 08:33:52 PM

Re: [POLL] Vote: December 2016 Flash Challenge

bingemeister wrote:My favorite story of all time is A Raisin to Live. It was touching and real. I know a woman like this, she was kind hearted and would give of what little she had to people. I want to print this story up, laminate it and hang it on my living room wall every Christmas.

How do I get permission to do that?

It would be proper to PM or email the author and ask for permission before doing so.
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Commenter

Post December 28, 2016, 05:27:00 PM

Kailhofer: The challenge was to write a story about helping an elf regain his or her holiday spirit.

The woman's time was coming to an end and she wanted a new, loving caretaker for the elf statue, who turned out to be a real elf person.

It's like the gift of the Magi, when a man in love, owning nothing but his treasured watch, sold it to buy his beloved a beautiful comb for her long hair, not knowing she had cut her hair and sold it for a chain for his watch.

The woman gave away something that not only reminded her of her husband, but something she greatly loved and cherished. Over the last several years the elf was frowning and she wanted him to have a life of joy. Her doubling over and holding her stomach as she cried after he was gone showed how great a sacrifice she had made.

In return, she got a new companion who was also named Jim.

Are you familiar with the writing technique of inferring something you want the reader to get instead of spelling it out for them? By the older man saying "Your little elf told me", I was inferring that the way she was going to receive what she needed was by giving out of her need.

Do you think that both our stories shared the same treatment from the readers, that there were strong feelings for and against them?

Bingemeister: Ab-so-lute-ly. I would love that! I'm so glad you said something.

Eddie Sullivan: Are you with a publishing house? Wow! I'm getting that from the authority sound from your writing voice and what you said about authors sending you stories and you asking them to remove what you don't like. Thanks.

Editor Emeritus

Post December 29, 2016, 01:01:13 PM

jmstein wrote:Kailhofer: The challenge was to write a story about helping an elf regain his or her holiday spirit.

The woman's time was coming to an end and she wanted a new, loving caretaker for the elf statue, who turned out to be a real elf person.

It's like the gift of the Magi, when a man in love, owning nothing but his treasured watch, sold it to buy his beloved a beautiful comb for her long hair, not knowing she had cut her hair and sold it for a chain for his watch.

The woman gave away something that not only reminded her of her husband, but something she greatly loved and cherished. Over the last several years the elf was frowning and she wanted him to have a life of joy. Her doubling over and holding her stomach as she cried after he was gone showed how great a sacrifice she had made.

In return, she got a new companion who was also named Jim.

Are you familiar with the writing technique of inferring something you want the reader to get instead of spelling it out for them? By the older man saying "Your little elf told me", I was inferring that the way she was going to receive what she needed was by giving out of her need.

Regardless of what you intended, all any reader can comment on was what they saw when they read it. Everyone sees things differently. That someone saw something different is not wrong. It's not right, either. It's just different.

As a writer, you have to be able to accept all the perceptions of your piece. Sometimes, readers will see far more than you intended. Other times they will miss your intent entirely. If a lot of people comment that they missed what you intended, then look at your story for ways you might have brought your intent across more strongly. If not many comment that way, then keep it in mind for the next time you write something, but don't overtly try to satisfy only one person, unless you think they might have been right.

Do you think that both our stories shared the same treatment from the readers, that there were strong feelings for and against them?

Well, yes and no. It's true, some people scored mine high and some scored yours high. However, those who didn't like yours gave higher marks than those who didn't like mine. I haven't yet heard why those who voted a 3 or less in any category felt so strongly against it, where you have received some feedback from readers in areas where they felt there was room for improvement.

I may never see that feedback. It's the way of it sometimes.
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Editor at Large

Post December 29, 2016, 01:03:39 PM

I own an imprint which makes money. I wrote a novel which makes money. I publish a paid pulp fiction periodical which makes money. I manage a staff of editors who work with paid authors. I co-host a writers self help podcast with an international audience. I regularly interact with best selling authors in five countries. I started from nothing and served here graciously on my way up to my current level of success and still return though there is nothing tangible in it for me other than helping others.
Your bona fides sir?

(mic drop)
Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong. – Neil Gaiman

Editor at Large

Post December 29, 2016, 01:18:51 PM

jmstein wrote: Wow! I'm getting that from the authority sound from your writing voice and what you said about authors sending you stories and you asking them to remove what you don't like. Thanks.

So when I write it puts forth an aura of expertise and authority. Good. I have worked very long and hard to be proficient in a number of styles of the written word. Writing with authority is most definitely one I have worked extremely hard to conquer. I appreciate your compliment. Please let me know if you need an authority on any subject relating to the written word. I would be pleased to share my experience with you any time.
Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong. – Neil Gaiman

Editor Emeritus

Post December 29, 2016, 02:26:32 PM

As provided in the rules, these stories have all been added to Flash Index II.
Previous

Return to Fun and Games