FLASH FICTION CONTEST: July 2015

Writing challenges, flash fiction, interesting anecdotes, amusements, and general miscellanea.

Moderator: Editors

Editor at Large

Post July 10, 2015, 02:00:55 PM

FLASH FICTION CONTEST: July 2015

APHELION FLASH FICTION CONTEST: July 2015
The 3 Random Things Challenge
Let’s have some fun.

THE PREMISE: The challenge this time is to write a flash story with three completely random things. I went online and hit up a random noun generator.
Here is what I got: Crime, Jar, and Calendar

So without further ado…

THE CHALLENGE: I challenge you to write speculative flash fiction where a crime has taken place and a jar and a calendar feature prominently in the story.

REQUIREMENTS: (1) Your story must a speculative (sci fi, fantasy, dark fantasy, bizarro, etc.) story; (2) Your story must involve a crime, a jar, and a calendar; (3) 1,000 words or less, not counting title, byline, "The End," or punctuation such as #### used to separate sections; (4) The characters and story must be fictional; (5) One entry per author; (6) Give your story a title and a byline; and (7) Keep it clean. No worse than PG-13. When it comes to ratings, I'm going to use movie ratings as a guide from now on. But bear in mind that ratings are fairly subjective and applying a movie or television rating to a flash story is not the easiest thing to do. A lot depends on context. If you think something in your story may push it beyond PG-13, but you can give me an example of a PG-13 movie where the same thing was allowed, then I'll allow it.

LEGAL RESTRICTIONS: While you may reuse your own intellectual property in these challenges, stories that infringe on the copyrights, trademarks, or personality rights of others will not be accepted.

Yes, now you can write a sequel to one of your own previously published contest stories, but you cannot write a sequel to another writer’s story. Works of fan fiction will not be accepted. That means there is no use of copyrighted characters or settings, or references thereto. Even though the Wicked Witch and Dracula may be in the public domain, don't expect me to allow them. No person that was ever a "real life" human being may be used as a character, but can be referred to, as in "President Kennedy had declared it would be so." Character names may not be copied from fiction or real life, even if changed, i.e. Char-less Darween.

DISQUALIFICATIONS/REFUSALS: If, in my judgment, any requirement or rule is missed, I won't post the story for voting, but authors are free to resubmit with changes until the deadline. Should a story be initially accepted and posted in the challenge, but then later judged by me to be in violation, the story may be disqualified and removed from contention at any time before contest end. Authors who feel a story may be in violation should send me a PM and state their case.

REUSABLE STORY ELEMENTS: Reusable story elements are unique story elements introduced in these challenges which may be used over and over again in any Aphelion Flash Fiction Contest by any author. A given reusable story element will not be appropriate for every challenge, given genre or other challenge restrictions, but if you feel a reusable story element fits the current challenge and its use will enhance your story, then you are free to incorporate the element into your story. Other authors' use of a reusable story element in no way limits or affects your use of the element. Only the information included in the description of the reusable story element is usable. Any expansion of this information in other authors' stories is not usable. You may, however, build on elements from your own previous stories with the caveat that you may be sacrificing your anonymity for the contest voting.

The Libro di Sinistro: use anything from the pseudo-history of this sinister book in your story.

Scheherazade 7: use anything from the framing story of Scheherazade 7, including the premise, characters, and setting.

Campfire Games: In the beginning Light, in the end Darkness

(see the respective challenges in the index for inspiration)

HOW TO ENTER: Stories must be sent by PRIVATE MESSAGE to EddieSullivan, and NOT posted into a thread. Just click the 'PM' button at the bottom of this post and paste your story in the message. You are responsible for doing your own formatting, and leave an extra line between paragraphs, just like when you see them in the webzine. I will allow different colors, but not changed fonts or sizes, artwork, or any other embedded or external links.

DO NOT send a regular email to me.

Stories will be posted "blind"--without the author's name on them. They are placed in a random order. When the poll closes after the voting week, I'll post a list of the stories and who wrote them. All entries will then be reposted in the Flash Archive with the author's byline.

Entries from new authors are strongly encouraged. C'mon. Give it a try!

NOTE: ONLY REGISTERED MEMBERS of Aphelion's forum who have posted at least one message may submit a story. Without that one post, the system will not let you send a PM. Registration is easy though. Click the "Register" link at the top of this page to get started.

DEADLINE: Stories should be in by 8 p.m. East Coast Time (EST-5), Friday July 31st 2015. The stories will then be posted for voting at approximately 10 p.m. Voting will close on Friday August 14th, 2015 at approximately 8 p.m., East Coast Time.

VOTING: Voters will rank the stories by filling in a form that is posted by me immediately following the post containing the stories for this challenge. Voters will copy and paste the form into a PM and send it to me for tallying. One vote per user (that is, per ip address).

A challenge entrant who does not rank the stories will receive a deduction in their own score at the time of contest close.

If two or more stories are tied at the end of voting, there will be a succession of one-day runoff votes until a single winner is chosen.

WHAT YOU WIN: Bragging rights!

COPYRIGHTS: By entering this challenge you are granting Aphelion: The Webzine of Science Fiction and Fantasy perpetual non-exclusive electronic rights to post and archive your contest entry. All other rights are retained by you, the author.

Example:
Nope! It always bothered me that I got the esteemed position of flash fiction editor and became a published and paid author without ever winning this contest. (NOT EVEN ONCE!)
You are competing against me this month. All scores will be sent to me but they will also be sent to Vila. He will not even have to look at them or tabulate them in anyway unless of course I win in which case he can inspect the score to assure I am pure as the driven snow or in the case of someone disputing my math.
This month you all really have to beat me. Let’s see what you got!

Wretched slugs, don't any of you

Have the guts to play for blood?

I'm your huckleberry.
Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong. – Neil Gaiman

Editor Emeritus

Post July 10, 2015, 05:29:13 PM

Re: FLASH FICTION CONTEST: July 2015

Getting a silly comment out of my head:
"The story should feature a jar, but not Jar-Jar"!

;D

Commenter

Post July 10, 2015, 06:58:26 PM

TaoPhoenix wrote:Getting a silly comment out of my head:
"The story should feature a jar, but not Jar-Jar"!

;D

What? No Jar-Jar!!! You just ruined my entire story line! LOL Just kidding.
When is a door not a door?

When it's ajar.

Time to write, I may have a real idea brewing, YAY!!!

Commenter

Post July 11, 2015, 01:11:24 PM

I can tell already the story I'm writing is going to grow way past the 1000 word limit so I may consider submitting to the short story section for the first time ever. If I can finish it I'll try to come up with a flash piece to enter. I'm having way too much fun with the story I'm working on to not give it a longer treatment.

Editor Emeritus

Post July 11, 2015, 06:20:14 PM

pahosler wrote:I can tell already the story I'm writing is going to grow way past the 1000 word limit so I may consider submitting to the short story section for the first time ever. If I can finish it I'll try to come up with a flash piece to enter. I'm having way too much fun with the story I'm working on to not give it a longer treatment.

Hiya Hosler.

This is what I was saying a lil' while ago,
"Heya Eddie, don't give up, keep doing challenges n the down times, so we can get inspiration!"

But then once ya move from "bleh i'm crushed" into "Hey, I'm writing", you get that "2.77 story effect". We saw the 0.07 as the Jar Jar comments. Having been Named, they can go away!

Now you too have a grand story "too big for 1000 words" (and to me that's a medium-serious problem with the Flash voting!), so you're hoping to get a "leftover" 1000 word piece!

But ... it's in the "same Universe as your main piece in the 'zine!"

Oops!

Master Critic

Post July 13, 2015, 06:56:37 AM

Mine is already done!! And I'm just waiting for the usual useful reviews/suggestions before sending it...eh,eh :D

Long Fiction Editor

Post July 13, 2015, 11:56:01 AM

ente per ente wrote:Mine is already done!! And I'm just waiting for the usual useful reviews/suggestions before sending it...eh,eh :D

Sergio, you need a snappy motto for your advertising. Something like, "Flash Fiction While You Wait!" or "Done in One Hour or it's Free!"
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Commenter

Post July 13, 2015, 03:22:34 PM

Lester Curtis wrote:
ente per ente wrote:Mine is already done!! And I'm just waiting for the usual useful reviews/suggestions before sending it...eh,eh :D

Sergio, you need a snappy motto for your advertising. Something like, "Flash Fiction While You Wait!" or "Done in One Hour or it's Free!"

No kidding! I can envision him sitting on a street corner like one of the street poets here in New Orleans churning out story after story while people are gathered around him to watch the keys literally smoking on his typewriter!

Master Critic

Post July 14, 2015, 04:02:52 AM

"Done in One Hour or it's Free!"

the keys literally smoking on his typewriter!

That's very funny, indeed...eh,eh!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And, out of those three words meant for the current July Challenge, I also took some very good hints for three longer stories more, that I think I'll write soon after my (very warm, given the present hot weather here in all the European countries...) summer holidays in Sicily...eh,eh 8) :D :D

Master Critic

Post July 14, 2015, 10:34:12 AM

Mine has been sent today, after the usual useful reviews/suggestions, of course...eh,eh :D

Editor at Large

Post July 14, 2015, 12:49:12 PM

I submitted my story to Vila to provide a timeline for when I was done. There are 2 other entries in right now other than me which I have yet to read at all.
Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong. – Neil Gaiman

Editor Emeritus

Post July 24, 2015, 12:51:10 AM

Ha-Ha! It's taken a couple years before I had enough time to write anything again, but I've finally got one!

First draft done.
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Editor at Large

Post July 24, 2015, 06:59:18 AM

Nice the old guard from the flash fiction contest against the current organizer! Everyone else better be bringing their "A" game now!

Editor Emeritus

Post July 24, 2015, 03:47:39 PM

EddieSullivan wrote:Nice the old guard from the flash fiction contest against the current organizer! Everyone else better be bringing their "A" game now!

I don't know about that. I'm so rusty this might be more like "B-" game. Maybe even a strong "C+."
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Editor at Large

Post July 27, 2015, 08:20:02 PM

8PM Friday EST

Master Critic

Post August 02, 2015, 04:42:23 PM

So? stories??? Hello, you hit the delete button again? Just cause you got married is no excuse.

Editor at Large

Post August 02, 2015, 11:33:14 PM

Don't make excuses, I'm too busy running the world!

P.S. it is up so get reading!

Editor Emeritus

Post August 04, 2015, 12:07:15 PM

EddieSullivan wrote:Don't make excuses, I'm too busy running the world!
P.S. it is up so get reading!

Yep!

I believe it's better to do nothing at all then try to evaluate stories in a bad mood! But I'm in fantastic shape today, so off I go!

Return to Fun and Games