APHELION FLASH FICTION CONTEST: April 2015

Writing challenges, flash fiction, interesting anecdotes, amusements, and general miscellanea.

Moderator: Editors

Editor at Large

Post April 05, 2015, 08:27:28 PM

The “Change That Tune- 2010+ Version?” Challenge

THE PREMISE: Select a song title that was released from 2010 till the present. Use the title of the song as the title of your flash fiction story. Write a story based on what the title makes you think of, anything, first thing that comes to mind.

THE CHALLENGE: Write a story starting from a title selected from music song titles of post 2010 songs. Use only the title and reimagine a story that shares the title only as inspiration. You must list the song and band that is your inspiration prior to the story. See example.

REQUIREMENTS: (1) Your story can be fiction, fantasy or horror; (2) Your story must start as assigned and end as assigned.(3) 1,000 words or less, not counting title, byline, "The End," or punctuation such as #### used to separate sections; (4) The characters and story must be fictional; (5) One entry per author; (6) Give your story a title and a byline; and (7) Keep it clean. No worse than PG-13. When it comes to ratings, I'm going to use movie ratings as a guide from now on. But bear in mind that ratings are fairly subjective and applying a movie or television rating to a flash story is not the easiest thing to do. A lot depends on context. If you think something in your story may push it beyond PG-13, but you can give me an example of a PG-13 movie where the same thing was allowed, then I'll allow it.

LEGAL RESTRICTIONS: While you may reuse your own intellectual property in these challenges, stories that infringe on the copyrights, trademarks, or personality rights of others will not be accepted.

Yes, now you can write a sequel to one of your own previously published contest stories, but you cannot write a sequel to another writer’s story. Works of fan fiction will not be accepted. That means there is no use of copyrighted characters or settings, or references thereto. Even though the Wicked Witch and Dracula may be in the public domain, don't expect me to allow them. No person that was ever a "real life" human being may be used as a character, but can be referred to, as in "President Kennedy had declared it would be so." Character names may not be copied from fiction or real life, even if changed, i.e. Char-less Darween.

DISQUALIFICATIONS/REFUSALS: If, in my judgment, any requirement or rule is missed, I won't post the story for voting, but authors are free to resubmit with changes until the deadline. Should a story be initially accepted and posted in the challenge, but then later judged by me to be in violation, the story may be disqualified and removed from contention at any time before contest end. Authors who feel a story may be in violation should send me a PM and state their case.

REUSABLE STORY ELEMENTS: Reusable story elements are unique story elements introduced in these challenges which may be used over and over again in any Aphelion Flash Fiction Contest by any author. A given reusable story element will not be appropriate for every challenge, given genre or other challenge restrictions, but if you feel a reusable story element fits the current challenge and its use will enhance your story, then you are free to incorporate the element into your story. Other authors' use of a reusable story element in no way limits or affects your use of the element. Only the information included in the description of the reusable story element is usable. Any expansion of this information in other authors' stories is not usable. You may, however, build on elements from your own previous stories with the caveat that you may be sacrificing your anonymity for the contest voting.

The Libro di Sinistro: use anything from the pseudo-history of this sinister book in your story.

Scheherazade 7: use anything from the framing story of Scheherazade 7, including the premise, characters, and setting.

Campfire Games: In the beginning Light, in the end Darkness

(see the respective challenges in the index for inspiration)

HOW TO ENTER: Stories must be sent by PRIVATE MESSAGE to EddieSullivan, and NOT posted into a thread. Just click the 'PM' button at the bottom of this post and paste your story in the message. You are responsible for doing your own formatting, and leave an extra line between paragraphs, just like when you see them in the webzine. I will allow different colors, but not changed fonts or sizes, artwork, or any other embedded or external links.

DO NOT send a regular email to me.

Stories will be posted "blind"--without the author's name on them. They are placed in a random order. When the poll closes after the voting week, I'll post a list of the stories and who wrote them. All entries will then be reposted in the Flash Archive with the author's byline.

Entries from new authors are strongly encouraged. C'mon. Give it a try!

NOTE: ONLY REGISTERED MEMBERS of Aphelion's forum who have posted at least one message may submit a story. Without that one post, the system will not let you send a PM. Registration is easy though. Click the "Register" link at the top of this page to get started.

DEADLINE: Stories should be in by 8 p.m. East Coast Time (EST-5), Saturday April 18th 2015. The stories will then be posted for voting at approximately 10 p.m. Voting will close on Saturday, May 2nd, 2015 at approximately 8 p.m., East Coast Time.

VOTING: Voters will rank the stories by filling in a form that is posted by me immediately following the post containing the stories for this challenge. Voters will copy and paste the form into a PM and send it to me for tallying. One vote per user (that is, per ip address).

A challenge entrant who does not rank the stories will receive a deduction in their own score at the time of contest close.

If two or more stories are tied at the end of voting, there will be a succession of one-day runoff votes until a single winner is chosen.

WHAT YOU WIN: Bragging rights!

COPYRIGHTS: By entering this challenge you are granting Aphelion: The Webzine of Science Fiction and Fantasy perpetual non-exclusive electronic rights to post and archive your contest entry. All other rights are retained by you, the author.

“Come with Me Now” - Kongos 2011

Steven sat on the shore looking out at the surf breaking on the rocks under the moon light. The air smelled of salt and seaweed and the breeze felt cool on his face. He considered putting on his jacket, but thought better of it. The chill was keeping him grounded in the moment. The whisky was making him sleepy but he didn’t feel ill so he must have stopped in time.

The waves were crashing and focusing his thoughts. The rhythms were repetitive and meditative. Susie shouldn’t have blurted it out like that at the party. It wasn’t his fault. No one should find out they were going to be a father like that, drunk with the music blaring. She knew he wouldn’t have been hanging on Jenny if he had known. He was a good guy. She shouldn’t have egged him on like that, he shouldn’t have hit her.

He was sorry, but it was her fault too. Another thing, it probably wasn’t his kid they had broken up weeks ago. She had time to be anywhere with anyone in two weeks. She was weird anyway, some kind of exchange student vacationing here with her host family for the summer. It was a beach resort romance. He would just lay low the next three days and then go back to Westport with his folks. It would all die down then. He looked up at the waves as he thought he heard music just faintly.

“Huh...Hello?”

A bluish purple sparkle lingered by the surface a couple of feet out from shore. It was hard to focus on and see properly. The music increased with volume slightly and a head peeked up to the surface.

“Steven, my love, do you hear my song? It is a song of love and forgiveness. I know you love me and are sorry.”

It was her, Susie. She had come to forgive him. He got up and brushed the sand from his legs. He picked up the beer he brought with him from the house party and drained it. Going to her to explain was suddenly the right thing, she had swam all this way to forgive him. Something about that thought didn’t ring true for a moment but his doubt quickly faded. She was singing her song of forgiveness and love; it made everything all right and calm. He had to join her in the water and make it right.

She raised out of the more a little more and the song somehow increased again in volume but yet still seemed soft and calm. She was bare breasted and the purple blue hue seemed to be coming from her under the water. She was lovely. He had been wrong to hurt her, wrong to strike her. He would go to her now and make amends. He went down to the water and stripped off his shirt and shoes.

The water was cold, the Atlantic waters were always cold off all the New England states, it gave him a moment of shock. Why was he going in the water? What the hell was happening? He looked up to get his bearings and saw her again, and he heard the music. Somehow she sang, even when she seemed to stop to speak the song persisted. He again noticed her bosom, the young attractive bosom with the moon and sea water highlighting it. He had the natural reaction any young man would. She was here to forgive him. She was going to show her forgiveness in the most pleasurable way possible. Everything would be all right. He waded out about half way to her as she spoke.

“Come love. Be there for our baby. Do your duty. You are essential to us. We could not leave without you.”

Steven knew these words were true. They needed him, he needed her in a different way. Everyone would get what they needed. All he had to do was go a bit farther into her waiting embrace. He said nothing to her now as there was nothing to say, she wanted him. His child needed him. The last few feet of surf was all that separated him from where he should be.

She came just the slightest bit forward at the end and embraced him. He felt her chest press on his bare chest and warmth spread through his body. She kissed him deeply, yet the singing somehow continued. Her tongue went in his mouth and tasted of honey and cherries. He felt weak and realized she was supporting him in her arms. Steven looked down and saw her bottom was no longer legs and feet. It was tail and scales, they glimmered in the moonlight purple and blue.

Susie stared into his eyes. She lowered her mouth to kiss him again. She broke the kiss and smelled him.

“We need you Steven. The baby and I must eat before we return to the depths. I will take you into me and nourish our baby. You will die so he may live. You will be with us always.”

He felt her teeth break the flesh as she embraced him in a hug and pulled him under the surf. It was all no burden, he would be there for them. It would be just fine, the music said it was true.

END
Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong. – Neil Gaiman

Master Critic

Post April 07, 2015, 05:13:06 AM

Re: APHELION FLASH FICTION CONTEST: April 2015

Another great theme!!! And I'll begin woring on it as soon as I'm back from my vacation in Austria ( and with scale model contest, of course...) starting from today...eh,eh :D :D :D

Long Fiction Editor

Post April 07, 2015, 03:30:07 PM

I'm out of this one for sure. I don't even know any songs from the last five years.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Commenter

Post April 10, 2015, 11:42:26 PM

I know I've been AWOL for a while but count me in. I've been taking a break from writing but I think I have an idea for this one.
Write for yourself, there's no one else more worth writing for.

Master Critic

Post April 11, 2015, 10:06:05 AM

It takes me a while, but I'll be submitting a story for sure for sure.
Lester, if you don't know any songs from the last five years you've got an advantage, because you have no preconceived ideas about the song. Go to Google, look up the top 10 songs for each of the last five years - and Bingo! - you've got lots of ideas for a story. I'm pretty HAPPY about this one, really. So, just SHAKE IT OFF, because I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE who thinks that his challenge isn't that much of a MONSTER.
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Long Fiction Editor

Post April 11, 2015, 11:30:53 AM

I know I could do that. But really, these days, if I were to write a story related to some piece of music, I'd be more inclined to go after something like the Grand Pas de deux from The Nutcracker. I'd NEVER get that to fit in 1000 words.

Just an aside--I think the Grand Pas is THE sexiest piece of music ever written.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Master Critic

Post April 12, 2015, 10:27:28 PM

I've been working on some other things besides writing---in fact too many things---but I'll attempt a story this time. It's so easy to deluge ourselves with too many projects or interests. Sometime I think it's best to create a junkyard out back and fill it with all our 'I'm agoning to do this and that's!' Believe me my junkyard would reach the stars!!! Maybe that's a good idea for a story!
Tesla Lives!!!

Master Critic

Post April 14, 2015, 04:25:05 AM

Mine has already been sent today, after returning from abroad, and after the usual useful suggestions/reviews received of course...eh,eh :D

Master Critic

Post April 18, 2015, 10:26:51 AM

I sent a story in today...the best story in fact ever written in this or any universe known or unknown! Hooray for the ole bottomdweller! (We'll have to wait to see if it's accepted for the contest, of course...)
:P
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Editor at Large

Post April 18, 2015, 12:26:34 PM

for the sake of ease on my part....all current submissions are accepted as of this writing
Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong. – Neil Gaiman

Master Critic

Post April 21, 2015, 09:26:36 AM

sorry I missed this one. got sidetracked to Pittsburgh and when I got home I forgot about it.
Tesla Lives!!!

Editor Emeritus

Post May 07, 2015, 02:26:27 AM

Megawatts wrote:sorry I missed this one. ...

So am I !

I have just been in a total mess for a chunk of time now. Aphelion is a good place to help drag myself out of it!

So I'll keep my eyes out for the next challenge. I gotta have a story incentive jammed into me by now ; it now just needs a "challenge to write against" !

Edit: I just saw it!!

Okay, so les'see!

Return to Fun and Games