APHELION FLASH FICTION CONTEST: March '14

Writing challenges, flash fiction, interesting anecdotes, amusements, and general miscellanea.

Moderator: Editors

Editor Emeritus

Post March 02, 2014, 12:03:20 AM

APHELION FLASH FICTION CONTEST: March '14

The "Modern Fantasy in Green" Challenge

A generous patron who wishes to remain anonymous has offered $20 U.S.D. for March's flash fiction challenge winner to be awarded through PayPal or given to their favorite charity.

THE PREMISE: This month's challenge has two components. First your story needs to be a modern fantasy. Modern or contemporary fantasy is a subgenre of fantasy which is set in the modern world. So imagine your favorite fantasy elements: magic; fantastic creatures like dragons, or unicorns, or basilisks; fantasy races like goblins, or giants, or elves; magical artifacts like a ring of wishes, or a talking sword; etc... and place those elements in the modern world that you see when you look out your very own window. Successful recent examples of modern fantasy include J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series, Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series, or TV shows like Grimm and Once Upon a Time. Many science fiction authors have tried their hand at this subgenre going back to H.G. Wells and Robert Louis Stevenson, and include the likes of Isaac Asimov. (Check out Asimov's Azazel stories about a tiny demon.)

Just imagine a character's surprise when she discover a manticore at the zoo, or a kobold driving her taxi, or a fairy pressed between the pages of her favorite book where she thought she had left only a tulip. Maybe there's a portal in the deep end of the local pool that lets a mermaid in to pull unsuspecting bullies below the clear, chlorinated water. Maybe the curmudgeon who lives at the end of the block is really a naga in disguise. Maybe the gnome you sculpted out of ice came to life and filled your house with snowballs in an attempt to pay you back for releasing him. Maybe the little man on the bus in the green suit is really a leprechaun.

The second component of this month's challenge is incorporating the color green into your story. Now this can be as simple as saying your character is a girl with green eyes, or mentioning that a green delivery truck drove by, but it can also be much more complex. Think of all that green can represent. Green is the color of envy, or jealously. In the U.S. green is the color of money, greenbacks. If someone is inexperienced we might say they are green or a greenhorn. Stereotypical extraterrestrials are sometimes referred to as little green men. Someone who is sick might be a shade of green, but green also represents hope and renewal and the power of nature and of the planet. You get the picture. So, you don't have to explicitly spell out the word "green" in your story if you explore something that is obviously connected to the color green in some way.

Voting this month will again consist of ranking the entries favorite to least favorite. Voters will also pick one story that they think best meets the challenge requirements. That story will have the "challenge bonus" added to their point total.

There was some confusion last month about this bonus. The idea is to pick one story that you think did the best job of taking all the challenge elements and making them work in the story. It is not necessarily the story that was written the best or the story that you enjoyed the most, so it doesn't have to be the story that you ranked the highest, but it could be. It should be the story that in your opinion best captures the spirit of the challenge.

So for this month if one story is a better representative of the subgenre, modern fantasy, than the other stories, then keep that in mind. If someone came up with an innovative and surprising way to incorporate green into their story, then remember that when picking the story for the bonus. The bonus is small. Most of a story's points come from how the voter ranks them. However, the bonus introduces a small wildcard into the mix, and it can make a difference.

Note that this month you have three weeks instead of two weeks to write your story.

THE CHALLENGE: I challenge you to write a modern fantasy flash story that somehow incorporates the color green. Good luck and good writing.

REQUIREMENTS: (1) Your story must be a modern fantasy story; (2) Your story must somehow incorporate the color green; (3) 1,000 words or less, not counting title, byline, "The End," or punctuation such as #### used to separate sections; (4) The characters and story must be fictional; (5) One entry per author; (6) Give your story a title and a byline; and (7) Keep it clean. Rated 'PG-13'. (Basically, think, "Could I see this on CSI?" That allows a lot, really.)

LEGAL RESTRICTIONS: While you may reuse your own intellectual property in these challenges, stories that infringe on the copyrights, trademarks, or personality rights of others will not be accepted.

Yes, now you can write a sequel to one of your own previously published contest stories, but you cannot write a sequel to another writer's story. Works of fan fiction will not be accepted. That means there is no use of copyrighted characters or settings, or references thereto. Even though the Wicked Witch and Dracula may be in the public domain, don't expect me to allow them. No person that was ever a "real life" human being may be used as a character, but can be referred to, as in "President Kennedy had declared it would be so." Character names may not be copied from fiction or real life, even if changed, i.e. Char-less Darween.

DISQUALIFICATIONS/REFUSALS: If, in my judgment, any requirement or rule is missed, I won't post the story for voting, but authors are free to resubmit with changes until the deadline. Should a story be initially accepted and posted in the challenge, but then later judged by me to be in violation, the story may be disqualified and removed from contention at any time before contest end. Authors who feel a story may be in violation should send me a PM and state their case.

REUSABLE STORY ELEMENTS: Reusable story elements are unique story elements introduced in these challenges which may be used over and over again in any Aphelion Flash Fiction Contest by any author. A given reusable story element will not be appropriate for every challenge, given genre or other challenge restrictions, but if you feel a reusable story element fits the current challenge and its use will enhance your story, then you are free to incorporate the element into your story. Other authors' use of a reusable story element in no way limits or affects your use of the element. Only the information included in the description of the reusable story element is usable. Any expansion of this information in other authors' stories is not usable. You may, however, build on elements from your own previous stories with the caveat that you may be sacrificing your anonymity for the contest voting.

(So far only one reusable story element has been introduced.)

The Libro di Sinistro: use anything from the pseudo-history of this sinister book in your story. viewtopic.php?f=48&t=12939#p67572

HOW TO ENTER: Stories must be sent by PRIVATE MESSAGE to davidsonhero, and NOT posted into a thread. Just click the 'PM' button at the bottom of this post and paste your story in the message. You are responsible for doing your own formatting, and leave an extra line between paragraphs, just like when you see them in the 'zine. I will allow different colors, but not changed fonts or sizes, artwork, or any other embedded or external links.

DO NOT send a regular email to me.

Stories will be posted "blind"--without the author's name on them. All the story titles are literally tossed into a hat and chosen in random order. When the poll closes after the voting week, I'll post a list of the stories and who wrote them. All entries will then be reposted in the Flash Archive with the author's byline.

Entries from new authors are strongly encouraged. C'mon. Give it a try!

NOTE: ONLY REGISTERED MEMBERS of Aphelion's forum who have posted at least one message may submit a story. Without that one post, the system will not let you send a PM. Registration is easy though. Click the "Register" link at the top of this page to get started.

DEADLINE: Stories should be in by 9 p.m. Central Standard Time (GMT-6), Sunday, March 23, 2014. The stories will then be posted for voting at approximately 10 p.m. Voting will close on Sunday, March 30th at approximately 9 p.m., GMT-6.

VOTING: Voters will rank the stories favorite to least favorite and also pick one story to receive the "challenge bonus" by filling in a form that is posted by me immediately following the post containing the stories for this challenge. Voters will copy and paste the form into a PM and send it to me for tallying. One vote per user (that is, per ip address).

A challenge entrant who does not rank the stories will receive a deduction in their own score at the time of contest close.

If two or more stories are tied at the end of voting, there will be a succession of one-day runoff votes until a single winner is chosen.

WHAT YOU WIN: The first place winner will receive $20 U.S.D. awarded through PayPal or donated online to their favorite charity. Winners also gain bragging rights--there is stiff competition each month amongst some great stories. All participants get improved short fiction skills, increasing their chances in the marketplace, without the lengthy investment in time a longer story would take.

COPYRIGHTS: By entering this challenge you are granting Aphelion: The Webzine of Science Fiction and Fantasy perpetual non-exclusive electronic rights to post and archive your contest entry. All other rights are retained by you, the author.

Example story, not eligible for entry:

The Little Man
by John David Rose

It all started when big Darren Zielinski was injured at the paper mill. A nervous greenhorn was running the hydraulic hoist and managed to drive a steel core into the back of Darren's skull. The walnut-cracking whack and stifling darkness were simultaneous. When the lights finally fuzzed back on in his head, things seemed a little off plumb. In the weeks after, everyone he talked to said that by rights he should have died; somehow it didn't surprise Darren that none of them seemed to feel all that bad about it.

His recovery was slow, but the mill was quick to rush him back to work. Memory problems plagued him, and he just couldn't seem to think straight anymore. The company said they had enough light duty to keep him busy for a long time, which made him swear defiantly. It was the type of work he hated, checking inventories, sorting order sheets, stocking labels. It wasn't the kind of work a real man was designed for. And on top of that, the doc, thinking a seizure was imminent, had Darren's license suspended. Now to keep his crummy job he had to ride the bus every day.

Darren had been riding the bus for a week before he noticed the little man. The man couldn't have been more than three feet tall. He had a graying red beard that ringed his face but no mustache beneath his pointed nose. His eyes were beady and an eerie shade of emerald. He wore a finely tailored suit with a green coat that was completely out of fashion, with a matching green bowler hat, and black shoes with ridiculous gold buckles.

Once he'd discovered the little man, Darren couldn't take his eyes off him. Each day Darren would pick a seat nearby just so he could stare. The little man was always on the bus before Darren got on, and stayed on after Darren got off. He seemed to have a perpetual frown on his face. The only other thing of note was a large green duffle bag that was always on the seat between the man and the window.

One day Darren sat behind the man in the hopes of maybe seeing what was in the duffle bag. For several minutes he stared through the slat in the seatback at the little man's hand resting on the bag.

"Most people who notice me have the decency not to gawk. I'm supposing now you'll be wanting my gold or three wishes or some such nonsense."

A flood of excitement washed over Darren. The man was speaking with a thick Irish accent.

Instinctively, Darren reached over the seat and put his hands on the man's shoulders. He imagined a black pot brimming with round gold coins and the little angry man dancing a furious jig. A nervous giggle escaped from Darren's throat.

"You think I'm a leprechaun. Don't you?" the little man said spitting the words up into Darren's face. "What kind of sane person believes in leprechauns? Hm? And why would a leprechaun be riding the city bus? I work for Evergreen Realty, you asshole."

"Uh..." Darren sat back. The man's verbal attack seemed to momentarily clear Darren's head. He couldn't believe he'd actually grabbed the man.

"I'm so sorry. I... I have a head injury... from work."

"Yes, excuses, excuses. It's not easy being me, but I guess I should be thankful that I'm not some meat-pawed buffoon like you." The little man glared; his eyes were screwed almost all the way shut.

"Really I'm sorry," Darren said. "What can I do to make it up to you?" Ever so slowly the little man's expression softened.

"Well, I suppose there's no real harm done. Honestly, what would possess you to think such a thing anyway? Are you really that detached from reality?"

Darren tried to center himself for a moment. If only everything didn't have that persistent skew that was disrupted by an occasional funhouse-mirror distortion to his vision. "I suppose it was a fantasy. I... for a moment I just... I just wished you were really a leprechaun," he blurted.

"And you really wished I had a pot of gold too?" Now the little man had a gapped-toothed smile on his face.

"Yes... I really wished you had a pot of gold just so I could see it."

"Well, there's no harm in wishing such things, but this is reality. However bad your life is, just think of what I've had to put up with. I can't ride the bus without some ass thinking I'm a leprechaun," the little man said. "By the way, don't you usually get off the bus by now?"

Darren swung his head around. At first he couldn't tell where they were, then he realized he was at least five blocks past the mill.

"I wish I didn't have to worry about that stupid job," he said leaping to his feet and pulling the cord. "I'm really sorry," he said back to the little man. "I'll make it up to you tomorrow. I'll bring you a donut or something." The bus pulled to the curb and slid to a stop with the whoosh of the brakes.

"Why would you be on the bus tomorrow?" the little man asked, unzipping the duffle bag.

"Same reason as every day. On my way to work." Darren said as he stepped off the bus.

"I don't think that'll be a problem, laddie." He hollered as the door closed shut.

Suddenly Darren was nauseated by an intense feeling of dread. He felt numb and tingly.
He strained to see the little man as the bus pulled away from the curb. Through the brain-searing sunlight reflecting off the bus windows Darren thought he could see the little man standing on his seat and doing a jig. There was an angry, evil sneer on his face, but he was laughing and holding up a black pot of gold for Darren to see.

The End

Master Critic

Post March 03, 2014, 03:53:34 AM

Re: APHELION FLASH FICTION CONTEST: March '14

A very good cover, again, indeed!!!
:D

And a new entry of mine is on the way in just two days, or so I think...eh,eh

:D :D

Master Critic

Post March 03, 2014, 09:32:33 AM

Yes your art work is very good. I wonder how you create it so quickly or do you have a set of stock pictures you keep?

That doesn't take away form my fist comment, but since I'm working on illustrations for a book of poems, I realize that the effort to get it down, then make it right is, at times, daunting.

I'm not using computer generated illustrations. Mine are traditional graphite, ink and the like.

Now to the contest, I'm just green sick trying to figure out a story. BOO bad not good, try again, where's the hook, GONG!

RT

Editor Emeritus

Post March 03, 2014, 12:58:56 PM

I use a 3D computer graphics program called DAZ Studio. It's a process that's similar to how they produce 3D animation for movies like Pixar's movies or maybe something like the Transformers. Over the years I've accumulated a library of 3D models. I pose the models in the program, kind of like setting up a photo shoot in a virtual photo studio, and then I render the scene. Then I usually have to do some post work in Photoshop to clean things up.

There are other programs similar to DAZ Studio, particularly Poser, but also Bryce, Carrara, Blender, 3ds Max, Lightwave 3D, Maya, ZBrush, and others. DAZ Studio is at the hobbyist end of the spectrum when it comes to this type of software. It mainly focuses on posing and rendering human models. Some of the other software focus more on creating 3D landscapes, or have more robust animation tools, or 3D modeling capabilities.

I don't create the models myself, although I do have software for it; I just haven't gotten to that level yet. Instead I've purchased most of the models I use. There are also a lot of models that generous artists make available for free which I also sometimes use, but you have to watch usage licenses on those.

It usually takes me a couple of days to produce a picture like this. So far all the pictures I've used for the challenges I've rendered a week or two before the challenge and were done specifically for the flash contest. I do have a few older pictures I may use in the future, but haven't done that yet.

Just to give you an idea of what's involved: in the case of the picture for this month there are three separate humanoid models in the scene. They started off as generic looking humans, and I applied morphs to them to shape their features and expressions and make them look unique. I then had to apply textures to them. The beard on the leprechaun is a separate model and every piece of clothing is a separate model. These all had to be fitted and tweaked, and I had to choose textures for them. I then had to pose the figures in the scene. The bus, which includes the seats, is one model that was pre-textured, so not much work there other than figuring out where I was going to seat my characters. Outside the bus windows there is an entire 3D city block which I positioned, but it loads as a single model that is already textured as well. The cell phone is another model.

I had to figure out where to place my virtual camera in the scene. I also had to set up lighting. I actually find lighting one of the most difficult things to figure out. There are pre-built lighting configurations that I usually use, but they often need a little tweaking at least to make the lighting work in the scene. I could also set up lighting one light at a time just like a photographer would in a real photo studio. To get the cell phone to look like it is taking a picture, I first rendered the scene from the angle of the cell phone and then I turned that into a texture in Photoshop that I placed on the 3D cell phone model. Then I was able to render the whole scene. I did render the outside separate so that I could take it into Photoshop later and blur it to make it look like the bus is moving.

After the renders are done (sometimes that takes a while, hours on my old laptop actually), then I have to take the files into Photoshop for post work. There are always spots where part of one 3D model pokes through another model where it isn't supposed to. For instance, in this case the leprechaun's ears rendered through his hat brim a little. So I fix those spots by painting over them in Photoshop. I blurred the outside background and merged that with the main image. Then I add all the text in Photoshop as well.

The software is free. The company makes its money selling models, but the software does include some free models to get started with. So someone could try it out without spending any money. It's taken me a few years to become proficient at it though, but I find it's a lot of fun. If anyone wants to check it out you can get the software here:
http://www.daz3d.com/products/daz-studi ... daz-studio

In addition to making pictures like I use for the challenges, I've used the program to create backgrounds and animations for short movie projects I've been part of. I've also created background scenes and animations that have been used as projections by one of the community theatre groups near me.

Anyway, that's probably more than you wanted to know. :)

John

Master Critic

Post March 03, 2014, 01:50:28 PM

As far as the graphics, Alien Skin used to have a small picture beside each flash story - nothing as elaborate as the challenge pics, just some kind of tie-in to the tale. Perhaps you could do that in the flash section. Just what you need, more work.
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Editor Emeritus

Post March 03, 2014, 03:06:06 PM

bottomdweller wrote:Perhaps you could do that in the flash section. Just what you need, more work.

Michele,

That's a cool idea. I'd love to be able to do something like that, but I just don't think I could keep up the pace. I need some time to write too. :wink:

John

Master Critic

Post March 03, 2014, 03:45:05 PM

David:

Thanks for the core dump on all that. It's a shit load of work no matter how one goes about it. I have an old photo shop program (4C??) that I used way in the past. I'd have to take a few classes on computer art to bring me up to speed. I'm going to print out your comments and add them to my note book. Then. I'll see what classes the local college offers that might match.

Since I use the computer for rendering so very little, as in not at all, I can't see paying a rental fee for a current version of PS. I'll take a class as I mentioned and just study the hand books we still have.

Thanks again.

RT

Master Critic

Post March 04, 2014, 04:30:56 AM

For DavidsonHero:

I had to figure out where to place my virtual camera in the scene. I also had to set up lighting. I actually find lighting one of the most difficult things to figure out

You're right, that's one of the main problems also while working for scale modeling, as I always have to figure out the source of light for the miniature or the figure before painting it correctly, and it's one of the important things that are evaluated when judging an entry at a scale model Contest, of course, as the lights must match perfectly and in a believable way the diorama depicted...and it doesn't occur every time unfortunately...eh,eh :shock: 8) :D

By the way, my entry has been completed and already sent today... :D :D

Editor Emeritus

Post March 04, 2014, 11:19:36 PM

Hey everyone. I've gotten several story submissions already for the March challenge. However, I was hit by a nasty cold today, (my 5 year old's been sick for the last few days, and I tried my best to avoid catching it, but no dice) so if you don't hear back from me for a few days, don't worry. I'll get back to everyone soon as I can focus. In the mean time, keep the stories coming in. :)

John

Editor Emeritus

Post March 07, 2014, 10:41:12 AM

Okay. I'm all caught up on contest submissions, and we currently have four accepted stories. They are an entertaining batch in my opinion. If the trend continues, this should be a fun contest for everyone to judge. :mrgreen:

Editor at Large

Post March 09, 2014, 07:47:23 PM

Four? This was an awesome challenge. Come on guys and girls get writing! :mrgreen:
Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong. – Neil Gaiman

Master Critic

Post March 10, 2014, 08:36:36 AM

[quoteFour? This was an awesome challenge. Come on guys and girls get writing!][/quote]
I agree with Mark Edgemon - This is an awesome challenge and it's easy for everyone to get in on. !

Master Critic

Post March 10, 2014, 10:32:21 AM

bottomdweller wrote:Four? This was an awesome challenge. Come on guys and girls get writing!
I agree with Mark Edgemon - This is an awesome challenge and it's easy for everyone to get in on. !

Eddie is not me. I do my responding face to face, so to speak. However, I agree with the sentiment.

Editor at Large

Post March 10, 2014, 10:50:57 AM

Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong. – Neil Gaiman

Editor Emeritus

Post March 10, 2014, 07:56:49 PM

For the record, I don't think Eddie is Mark, or Mark is Eddie, or Eddie is Herbert, or Herbert is Mark. And we know that Spock is not Herbert, as we see in the clip, but wouldn't it be cool if Herbert was Spock. In that case, Eddie would be Scotty which would make Mark a... Ferengi. (I'm just kidding Mark. :wink:)

I will say though that bottomdweller may be a little devil, or at least the devil's advocate, just look at her avatar. :P

As of today we have 5 accepted stories. We still have almost two weeks until the deadline, so I'm hoping we may get a couple more.

John

Master Critic

Post March 10, 2014, 09:41:25 PM

davidsonhero wrote:In that case, Eddie would be Scotty which would make Mark a... Ferengi. (I'm just kidding Mark.
I'm all ears!

I think John 'IS' the little devil and 'pretends' to be Michele in drag when writing her stories!

Wait a minute...Eew!

Editor Emeritus

Post March 10, 2014, 10:01:06 PM

Come on Mark, I was just teasing you. Didn't you see the little winking smiley? :wink:
There's no reason to frighten everyone with the thought of me in a dress.

John

Master Critic

Post March 11, 2014, 12:52:27 AM

davidsonhero wrote:...There's no reason to frighten everyone with the thought of me in a dress.

John

That could be an inducement as a prize one month for the challenges :shock: (in place of the virtual ice photo). There again, there's no place like gnome.

Editor Emeritus

Post March 11, 2014, 02:25:22 AM

:idea: Mark, I will put your suggestions in the virtual suggestion box. I've heard it said that there's no such thing as a bad idea...
:shock: (muttering under breath) except for this one!

Master Critic

Post March 11, 2014, 02:41:13 AM

davidsonhero wrote: :idea: Mark, I will put your suggestions in the virtual suggestion box. I've heard it said that there's no such thing as a bad idea...
:shock: (muttering under breath) except for this one!

Okay, that was funny!

Editor Emeritus

Post March 16, 2014, 05:47:54 PM

Eight writers have taken up the March challenge so far; eight stories have been accepted. If you haven't entered yet, but you have a modern fantasy flash story fluttering around in your brain, you still have a whole week left to write that story and join in the fun. Just remember to include something green. :mrgreen:

John

Master Critic

Post March 16, 2014, 08:38:03 PM

Include something green, as in a suitcase full of green backs in non sequential order as well as unmarked? Or, would a Green split window 327 fuelie, lake piped 63 Corvette do the trick? I like them in the original burgundy but we can do green if you desire.

Sorry but the Ford GT 40 did not come in Green as I know it and no way will I paint one of those. It kicked Ferrari's ass 3 years in a row, HA!!!

"Hey Frankie got that emergency package? Some joker wants something green in order to win , or even get up to bat. A Bat! Now that gives me another idea.

THE BODY WORKS,LLC

Master Critic

Post March 19, 2014, 02:25:42 AM

Well, got mine in! Oh, the green, green grass of home.
Tesla Lives!!!

Master Critic

Post March 19, 2014, 02:43:12 PM

Hold up Megawatts! I already wrote a flash called, The Green, Green Grass of Home...about an adorable puppy dog that is really an alien on Mars telepathing it's human companion to chop up the remaining colonists and fry them in a vat of lard. YUM! Remember?

Master Critic

Post March 19, 2014, 08:11:16 PM

Bottomdweller, do you fully understand my green, green grass from home?
Tesla Lives!!!

Master Critic

Post March 20, 2014, 08:51:55 AM

how about gold gold grass from Columbia?

Master Critic

Post March 20, 2014, 09:54:07 AM

How about if we look in the green green grass for some first class weed(s). I always wondered about 'Easter Grass' for instance - sounds great, but no one comes across...

Editor Emeritus

Post March 20, 2014, 12:43:19 PM

Maybe you folks should plan a trip together. I hear Colorado is nice. (Whoever had the forethought to nick-name Denver the Mile-High City deserves a brownie.)

Master Critic

Post March 20, 2014, 07:49:37 PM

davidsonhero wrote:...Whoever had the forethought to nick-name Denver the Mile-High City deserves a brownie.

That was clever.

But I don't know why anyone should deserve a little girl scout...but of course, they might sell brownies...but I understand they may be high, in price I mean.

Master Critic

Post March 20, 2014, 09:04:09 PM

Nothing like green grass with blue grass on top of the mile-high city!
Tesla Lives!!!
Next

Return to Fun and Games