[Poll] Vote: August '13 Flash Fiction Contest

Writing challenges, flash fiction, interesting anecdotes, amusements, and general miscellanea.

Moderator: Editors

Master Critic

Post August 28, 2013, 09:04:38 AM

Re: [Poll] Vote: August '13 Flash Fiction Contest

Just a few brief notes
Wreckers: Nice touch with his pregnant girlfriend being onboard the ship that gets blown-up. However, I think bodies don’t just float away into space, I think they automatically explode.
Family Business: Boo! I’m a liberal democrat and this whole ‘We lost the family farm and now we’re hungry’ business is way too touchy-feely for even me. Boo! Tell your pirates to grow a set.
Tandoriste’ Sunset: Unrealistic. “Lost a couple of fingers – that’s all.” Waaaaattt? If you lose a couple of fingers you’re bleeding to death all over the sand.
The Xebec: If you’re going to steal, may as well steal from the Devil himself. I liked this one best
Gatcom Creek – Was mine. I thought I had another week to work on it. Come on Bottomdweller! Get with the program!
Challenge of the Sea Monsters: It ends up on basically Earth with Sea Monsters, so just not a fan this time. It would be a fine story in a historical setting, but not as a science fiction story.
Swab the decks, me hartys! I’ll get ya’ll next time.
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Archive Editor

Post August 28, 2013, 09:13:31 AM

bottomdweller wrote:...
The Xebec: If you’re going to steal, may as well steal from the Devil himself.

I wasn't around for this challenge, but upon seeing this note, I went back to this story. I was vaguely thinking of doing a Pirate From the Devil theme too, but didn't get anywhere as far as an actual story. Xebec used completely different details than I would have, so that was nice to see an alternate take on the idea.

Master Critic

Post August 28, 2013, 10:36:46 AM

FYI you all:

Xebecs were similar to galleys used by Algerian Berber corsairs and Barbary pirates having both lateen sails and oars for propulsion. Early xebecs had two masts; later ones three. Xebecs featured a distinctive hull with pronounced overhanging bow and stern, and rarely displaced more than 200 tons, making them slightly smaller and with slightly fewer guns than frigates of the period.

Critic

Post August 28, 2013, 04:21:31 PM

bottomdweller wrote:Wreckers: Nice touch with his pregnant girlfriend being onboard the ship that gets blown-up. However, I think bodies don’t just float away into space, I think they automatically explode.

Thanks, BD. Glad you liked it. But bodies in the vacuum of space don't explode, which is a pity because a I had a whole gory explody body scene that I had to re-write when I found out the truth.
Doggerel is a derogatory term for verse considered of little literary value.

Long Fiction Editor

Post August 28, 2013, 04:42:12 PM

bottomdweller wrote:Tandoriste’ Sunset: Unrealistic. “Lost a couple of fingers – that’s all.” Waaaaattt? If you lose a couple of fingers you’re bleeding to death all over the sand.

You're wrong about that, too; people get their arms lopped off with machetes and survive.

I have personal experience, though it's only the ends of two of 'em. Amazing how few people notice that, even after hours of hanging out with me in person.

I will say this: it HURTS. A LOT. For a LONG time. The pain would wake me up, someone would give me a tiny white pill, and then I had just about enough time to eat before the drug knocked me out again. I spent about a week sleeping on the couch just so no one would touch me anywhere on that whole side of my body.

But now I can give people the finger in shorthand.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Editor Emeritus

Post August 28, 2013, 07:38:48 PM

Verse wrote:
bottomdweller wrote:Wreckers: Nice touch with his pregnant girlfriend being onboard the ship that gets blown-up. However, I think bodies don’t just float away into space, I think they automatically explode.

Thanks, BD. Glad you liked it. But bodies in the vacuum of space don't explode, which is a pity because a I had a whole gory explody body scene that I had to re-write when I found out the truth.

Dammit, there goes the big strawberry-jam-exploding-head scene in "Outland" ("High Noon in Space", starring Sean Connery) and similar stuff in "Total Recall". But the psionically-induced exploding heads in "Scanners" are still okay.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Master Critic

Post August 29, 2013, 03:43:01 AM

For Wormtongue:

There are no British STASI. Just ask them.

As that famous quote from GREAT Brazil movie goes, that is:

Arresting Officer:
"This is your receipt for your husband...and this is my receipt
for your receipt."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Critic

Post August 29, 2013, 05:00:12 AM

Robert_Moriyama wrote:Dammit, there goes the big strawberry-jam-exploding-head scene in "Outland" ("High Noon in Space", starring Sean Connery) and similar stuff in "Total Recall". But the psionically-induced exploding heads in "Scanners" are still okay.

In that case prepare to have your mind blown... and a lot more of your favourite movies ruined (Scanners is still cool though).

Movie Physics vs Real Physics

Master Critic

Post August 29, 2013, 08:35:20 AM

Although the explody body scene does sound better, thanks for filling me in on THE TRUTH. Good dog, good dog.
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Master Critic

Post August 29, 2013, 11:51:08 AM

Re bodies in space

i thought blood "boiled" away.

Editor Emeritus

Post August 29, 2013, 12:01:17 PM

rick tornello wrote:Re bodies in space

i thought blood "boiled" away.

I think the theory was that you would get a BLEVE (Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion). As the blood boiled due to lack of air pressure, the gases would rupture blood vessels and skin. Of course, even if that did happen, it wouldn't be like a balloon popping -- it would be bursts of liquid and gas through areas with natural openings and / or thinner skin (eyes, ears, nose, butt, etc.). Speaking of butts in vacuum -- a stranded astronaut could drop trou as a means of ejecting some reaction mass for a little delta-V. (His crewmates, however, would all say, "I am NOT cleaning THAT up!")
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Master Critic

Post August 29, 2013, 03:14:01 PM

blood in space

sort of like the bends, scuba diving and nitrogen in the bloodstream.

Critic

Post August 29, 2013, 07:19:25 PM

Verse wrote: But bodies in the vacuum of space don't explode, which is a pity because a I had a whole gory explody body scene that I had to re-write when I found out the truth.

Yet you might still salvage some of your scene.

When you are told that bodies in the vacuum of space don't explode, it is usually assumed that you go from a pressure of one atmosphere to vaccuum. A sensible assuption for spacecraft of Terran origin. Under these conditions the human body seems to hold together quite well. The same needs not be true in more extreme situations. In this context you might or might not want to look up the 'Byford Dolphin incident'. (Here's a Wikipedia link.) As far as I understand, that involved four divers inside a pressure chamber at nine atmospheres and sudden decompression to one atmosphere, resulting in instant deaths and one exploding body.

Now e.g. take a spacecraft where a malfunction of the life support system leads to a slow build up of pressure to eight atmospheres and subsequent hull breach...

Long Fiction Editor

Post August 29, 2013, 07:52:48 PM

Now e.g. take a spacecraft where a malfunction of the life support system leads to a slow build up of pressure to eight atmospheres and subsequent hull breach...
Wow. That's some hell of a reserve air tank. Maybe not out of the question, but I'd have to wonder why the craft was designed that way -- as well as how it could fail in that manner.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Master Critic

Post September 03, 2013, 09:00:25 AM

Congrats to Verse on a very good win. Didn't have time to enter this one, but I did read your story and thought it very good!!
Tesla Lives!!!

Critic

Post September 04, 2013, 07:48:16 AM

Megawatts wrote:Congrats to Verse on a very good win. Didn't have time to enter this one, but I did read your story and thought it very good!!

Thanks, MW.
Previous

Return to Fun and Games