The Rogue Challenge: Diablo Canyon (July)

Writing challenges, flash fiction, interesting anecdotes, amusements, and general miscellanea.

Moderator: Editors

Master Critic

Post July 04, 2013, 07:08:53 PM

The Rogue Challenge: Diablo Canyon (July)

The Dark Side of Diablo Canyon
A Sci Fi Western Writing Challenge

This is the third time I have issued this writing challenge on Aphelion. This time...it will stick.

I have Aphelion's best interest at heart. I wouldn't put my time, labor and money into a project to increase this site's active membership if I didn't.

Setting the record straight for all concerned, this challenge has been approved by Dan. It is not a fan based creative endeavor, but an "Aphelion" event. Reference post - viewtopic.php?f=48&t=12883&p=67102#p67155

However, due to the previous two false starts, I am shaping the Aphelion side of this event differently.

This new thread is for "on topic" comments only (posts dealing with this writing challenge). Any other type of comments, send me a private message.

The forum used for this event will be at Creator and the Catalyst. This topic will mirror the event. This means that the stories will be submitted in the writing challenge there. The topic there will also be used as a writer's log, so writers can post an excerpt or all of their submission for feedback from the other participants and the public as well as offer ideas, suggestions and so on. My secretary will copy the posts periodically and place them in this thread. Aphelion members can comment in this topic or at the other forum, but stories must be submitted to Creator and the Catalyst over there in the manner set up by the challenge requirements.

This and future challenges will benefit Aphelion in one essential way - when a new writer has been an "active" member at Creator and the Catalyst for 60 days, I will contact Dan and turn them over to him. He can decide how to best acclimate them to Aphelion. By working this in two months time periods, I can filter out the less active or one time posting members from the fireballs and I can hand groups of writers over to Dan instead of one member at a time.

There is no exclusive anything here. A writer flourishes when he has a bountiful environment to create within. Writers would be more engaged in their craft if they had two writing sites to encourage them instead of one. My goal is to see two dozen posts at Aphelion a day within the next six months.

Having the submissions on Creator and the Catalyst removes any and all possible liability from Aphelion.

Once again, you can post comments here or at the other forum. If you want to be involved from that end, you need to register to post. It's quick and simple.

You can look at the Creator and the Catalyst as an auxiliary membership gathering outreach for Aphelion. In addition to writers, you may find illustrators, musicians and other talent that you would like to work with on Aphelion related projects. Check back regularly as the new recruits come aboard.

The only rule at Creator and the Catalyst is - no disrespect - of any kind. In depth or light critiques are both welcomed, just do them with the sole intent of helping the author.

So, keep on topic and enjoy the ride.

Mark Edgemon
Rogue Challenge Coordinator...(Nice ring to it!)

Links:

Creator and the Catalyst content pages - http://www.creatorandthecatalyst.com

Creator and the Catalyst forum - http://www.creatorandthecatalyst.com/dir/index.php

Creator and the Catalyst July Writing Challenge - http://www.creatorandthecatalyst.com/di ... hp?f=3&t=3

Poetry Editor

Post July 04, 2013, 07:24:35 PM

Re: The Rogue Challenge: Diablo Canyon (July)

Sounds reasonable. Good luck.
KNEEL before Zod!

Critic

Post July 04, 2013, 07:33:57 PM

Awesome! Let's do this. :-)

Editor Emeritus

Post July 04, 2013, 07:34:50 PM

Bull's Eye! Let's party like it's 1899!

Master Critic

Post July 05, 2013, 07:21:29 PM

Writing Challenge Updates from the Creator and the Catalyst

Updates

Newest members to the Creator and the Catalyst forum are Dan Hollifield, Lester Curtis and Tao Phoenix.

There are 6 participants declared so far: Jason Hill, Spacer, Marla Joy, Mark Edgemon, Tao Phoenix and Dan Hollifield. We're just getting started.

Jason Hill has accepted the position of Fiction Editor for the Creator and the Catalyst. The literary fiction section can be found on the 3rd page of the audio ficiton section.

by Mark Edgemon » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:48 am

The Dark Side of Diablo Canyon
A Sci Fi, Western Challenge

The Premise

It's January 1861. Abraham Lincoln has just been elected president and with his election, South Carolina secession from the United States is the first act of a domino effect that will plunge the United States into civil war. What caused this chain of events? Was it really an issue of slavery or something unknown...something dark and sinister, that turned families against themselves and threatened to destroy this nation and most possibly...the world?

I introduce you to the town of Diablo Canyon, a literary town located in the general vacinity of Southwestern United States. The town is enclosed by canyon walls and utilizes a single road, which runs alongside a narrow river used by steamboats to transport cargo in and out of town.

An unknown force has seized the town, holding it as a base in their quest for world domination. The invasion was unknown to the rest of the world. For the purpose of this story, the civil war was the strategy of an outside force, who were overshadowing many of the events in the world from Diablo Canyon.

This will be an "a la carte" story crafting in so much that you can choose the elements of your story from the list below or create your own. You can choose the enemy, the hero, the townspeople and the futuristic machinary that might have been brought to earth by outside sources.

The Element Listing

Townspeople (Heros)
Sheriff, Local Newspaper Editor, Saloon Keeper, School Marm, Preacher, Deputy, Cowboys, Farmers, Blacksmith, Town Gossip, Town Drunk, Cattle Rustler, Gypsys, Tramps, Thieves, Indians, Scientist, Orphans, British Subjects, Big City Dudes or Dudettes, High Society Socialites, Gunsmiths. Bank Robbers, Train Engineers, Shopkeepers, Cobbler (Shoe maker or mender), Horse Wrangler or Bronco Buster, Banker, Music Teacher, Archaeologist, Butcher. Gunslinger, Banditos, Dynamiter (Also handles nitroglycerin) or create your own.

Outsiders (Enemies)
Galactic Aliens, Demons, AI (Artificial Life forms), Conscious Mind, Time Travelers, Witches and Warlocks, Sorcerers, Zombies, Invisible Creatures, Cannibals, Shapeshifters, Vampires, Giants, Soul Snatchers, Ghosts and or invent your own.

Technology (Devices)
Energy converter (Turns matter into energy), Transporter (Matter/Energy travel), Brain Wave converter (Mind Control) and or invent your own.

Prizes

There will be first, second and third place prizes awarded at the end of the contest.

1st place - An audio story produced of the winning entry.
2nd place - $25.00 check will be mailed to the second place finisher.
3rd place - A delicious baked dish will be sent to the door of the 3rd place finisher, prepared by the beautiful and equally talented Valerie Edgemon.
Last edited by Mark Edgemon on July 23, 2013, 06:38:24 AM, edited 2 times in total.

Commenter

Post July 05, 2013, 09:23:26 PM

So I'm not entirely sure if this story meets all the requirements. I'll post it and see what people think might need to be revised to better fit the rules for this particular competition:

Civil War Interview #1412 of one Mr. Harshide of Devils Canyon, New Mexico

“Now I hear that you been talking about how the war of northern aggression was about the freein' of the slaves and the Southern states being less'n friendly with the Northern ones. Sure, sure that is all true but that aint half the most interestin' part of the story.”

The reporter leaned back a bit in his chair. He obviously wasn't getting out of this interview as easily or quickly as he had hoped. “Do you know the rest of the story then Mr. Harshide?”

Mr. Harshide looked a bit miffed and the reporter wasn't sure if he had succeeded in his goal. He certainly wanted to egg the man into telling a crazy story but he didn't want to offend him so far that he would be reticent about the best details. Mr. Harshide didn't seem to be too much worried about it though “There was a damn sight more goin' on than yer history books say there was. I meself saw some of it and the rest I got from me pappy.”

The reporter grinned slightly knowing he was on the verge of getting what he was after “So lets see if we can write a better history book. What is missing from the history of the United States and events that are so fundamental to the world today?”

Mr. Harshide did not reply immediately but went out of the room for a few moments. The reporter could hear some rumbling in a back room and when Harshide emerged he carried something that perplexed the reporter. It was a box with a few windows set at angles. It almost looked like an antique microscope except that the optics were all in the wrong places and he could see no way to get proper lighting on the subject slides.

“Now then young'un” Mr. Harshide began motioning the reporter to the box “This 'ere will help you understand better the whole story. Let me get meself seated and we can begin.”

The reporter waited patiently as Mr. Harshide eased himself into a larger brown chair with an old bison pelt thrown over the back. “Are ye all set then?” Harshide asked. The reporter nodded having been quite ready to get on with it since he had arrived half an hour ago. “Ya see about the time of the 1860s there was this band of religious folks called the Mormons. Now if'n you wanna be gracious they was a tolerable bunch of friendly folks with a new religion. If'n your bein' less forgiving they was a crazy new cult with too many wives fer their own good.”

The reporter familiar with the Mormon sect was eager to move on. “Yes yes I know who they are. What about them?”

Harshide bit his lip. “Well they had got to the Salt Lake Valley area which they called Zion around 1847. They had been hoping to avoid the Federal and especially the state governments that had been harassin' them. Such was not to be though when the feds came in force to force them to comply. They let Brigham Young keep on as governor but it was clear who was gonna be in charge. Now that didn't sit well with some folks. There was a small bunch in particular, a group from one of the Mormon 'colonies' away down south in the red deserts at a place called Diablo Canyon. Place never amounted to much by most folks rekonin'. Fact most folks nowadays would call it a ghost town. A term more right than they know.

Harshide seemed to be settling into the story now and the reporter was happy to relax and listen for the moment.

“So these here Mormon folk were none too happy about what the government was doin' chasing them all the way to the middle of the desert. They'd had quite enough of the United States what with being hunted like dogs out of Missouri. A few of em I giss had got together one night to plan a conspiracy. From what I know it went something like this. “Well brother Josiah it seems that we still are not safe even in Zion.” and brother Josiah replies “But the 10th article of faith clearly states that 'Zion the New Jerusalem will be built upon the American Continent'. We must get on our knees and pray and find out what it is God wills that we should do to bring out the fruition of his plan.” They sound funny don't they just but that thar is about the way them Mormons do talk. Anyhow they gets to prayin' and a few days later they meet up again in some old schoolhouse er other and tell what they learned. “Well brother Josiah I have been touched by the spirit and now feel that we must act to bring down our oppressors. As Joshua brought down the walls of Jericho with the power of the lord behind him so must we bring the United States to heel. I do not believe it will be destroyed but mark me by the power of the redeemer it will be humbled.” “Yes, brother Elijah let us seek a means by which to achieve this end.” So they went out and around and kept on thinkin' of what it was that they could do to make the Americans suffer a bit and get em off of their backs for a while.
“It was about this time that there was some kind of crazy luck or perhaps it were indeed divine intervention. Somebody pops into town selling a new kind of snake oil that is supposed to make the land you sprayed it on extra fertile so it would grow something other than sagebrush in the middle of the desert. Naturally it didn't work quite as he said. A handful of farmers in the congregation learned something of the negative side effects when they did put it on some of their crops. The weeds and crickets just multiplied and went overboard. Seems in retrospect like it replicated something of the swarm chemicals that are produced by locusts. So these huge swaths of mormon crickets – you see Mormon crickets right? These huge bugs that chew on just about anything growing even the brown weeds that are so prevalent in parts of those red lands. Well as you can imagine this caused quite a stir.
Nobody in those parts had ever seen so many insects coming out of the woodwork. Weren't quite as many maybe as what were seen on the prairie but them things is hard to compare. In any event this might have been an isolated incident if not for the oddly contorted face of brother Josiah who couldn't quite decide whether the destruction of his crops was worth the opportunity this odd elixir seemed to offer. There became something of a great battle in the town which some folks likened to the war with Mexico. The devices and tactics employed were a wildly mixed variety varyin' between the mad and ingenious. The local tinker was out with a small devise to try an electrocute em. A couple of miners destroyed half of town hall in a failed attempt to use dynamite on a large patch of em. Several of the farmers were burning their own fields in the hopes of generating enough smoke and debris in the air to drive the things off. Elijah and Josiah were, in the main, busy with working out how this might be best utilized to make those in Washington so much the less comfortable.
As it turned out there were a few military types in the town. A small cadre of cavalry that had been assigned to scout for any remaining hostile natives be they Injun or Mormon or otherwise. They were keeping mighty busy with the overabundance of insects as well and were riding around with large nets trying to catch as many as they could. Now them Mormons they can be clever folk and in order to get the attention of the cavalrymen in the midst of this little crisis they devised a plan to have Josiah fall into one of their nets. So as a pair of them come barreling down the road Josiah decides he is gonna wander into the middle of the street flailing and gets his top half pulled into the netting. The horses are quickly brought to a halt and two annoyed cavalrymen. Acting very much the suspicious person he said “What it is with you people netting everyone? You strut around here like you own the place. I'm sick of it...” and he ranted on. Eventually one of the officers did arrest him and, as planned, found some of the unique material in a little stopper bottle in his coats pocket. Since it had all the instructions needed. It also had a cute little addition at the bottom suggestin' that it was made in the South.
Elijah had a bit more trouble with his end as the travelling aristocrat he sold his also clearly labelled bottle to decided to imbibe the first one. Seems he was thinkin' it was some kind of special Mormon fertility concoction that just happened to also work on bugs. After they got him a bit less sick the explanation took hold and they were able to get enough of the crickets off his horses so that he could continue on toward Alabama. However the little note of 'Made in' listed a little place called Massachussettes.
Now their little trick was hard bought. Eventually the locusts were subdued by the mixed efforts of the townsfolk and the fact that they had eaten just about everything made of plant in a half dozen miles. As they died by the droves the settlers found the only thing left to eat was locust. They won some interesting cooking contests but were none too happy about the lack of good old fashioned corn and wheat. They took what pleasure there was in the victory and it was not too small. After all the lord himself had sent a plague of locusts to humble Pharaoh. Why should the same not be good enough for the world now?
So the South thought the North was makin' it and they Waren't stoppin' and the North thought the same of the South. Since it was thought it could change the balance of power and neither had politicians that were actually willin' to talk honest like there was nothin' left but to stop em by force. Thats what the civil war was really about now.”
The reporter was rather amused by the old codgers story. “That is quite the tale you spin Mr. Harshide but I'm afraid the facts simply do not support you in the matter. I mean why aren't there huge swarms descending on all the farms across the US. Surely the South in particular wouldn't fail to use such a weapon.”

Mr. Harshide just grinned at the reporter “I see you're a might skeptical. Well how bout you just take a look at this here box thats been sittin' on the table while you been listenin'.”

Taking Mr. harshide up on the grizzled mans suggestion he peeped in through one of the little glass slots. Inside was little more than a buzzing black mass. As something hit the other side of the glass the reporter jumped back. Mr. Harshides smile was large and slightly twisted. “Y'see sonny its not so hard to keep em controlled once you understand their little big-eyed heads. Now we keep a small selection of the best ones jest in case that old government should get uppity. This is just the sort of buzz that should make your story sell eh?”

Editor Emeritus

Post July 05, 2013, 09:39:00 PM

Hi Spacer.

Remember, this forum software like many doesn't like old style paragraph indents, so check your line spacing. I grappled with four versions of a flash challenge on that issue. Right now it looks like a "wall of text" that's hard on the eyes!

Editor Emeritus

Post July 05, 2013, 09:45:33 PM

Re: Writing Challenge Updates from the Creator and the Catal

Mark Edgemon wrote:...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
by vila01 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:17 pm

I'm in. But I'll have to think up some good lines for me to be able to make a fair go of it.

I'll do my best, though.

Dan
vila01
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by vila01 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:50 pm

OK, I cranked up the word processor and started rambling. 700 words so far, most of which will have to be cut unless I can kick-start the action. I have got the tone and narrator's voice set now, but with only another couple of pages to work with to meet the word limit, I'm going to have to edit with an axe.

Dan
vila01

by Mark Edgemon » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:13 pm

One of the interesting features for this challenge is the following option from the requirements:

3.) Writers can enter multiple story entries.

Dan, why don't you write as much as you like and then divide them into parts with continuation noted at "the end" of your story.

It could be titled with a Part 1 and 2 and so on or you can have the main title, colon and then the episode title.

For example, "The Lord of the Rings: Starbucks of Middle Earth".

No need to limit creativity.

Mark

by vila01 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:22 pm

So what you're saying is that 2000 words isn't a hard limit for the total story? I could write 2000 word *chapters?*

Dan
vila01

by Mark Edgemon » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:27 pm

Yes, multiple stories by the same author is desired and provides great reading! They can be looked at as chapters/episodes or story continuations or individual stories with totally seperate plots by the same author.

*****************************************************************************************************************

I will add my voice highlighting this as one of the most under-rated rule twists of this endeavor. Not counting minor finesses of episode division, some of us just write better into longer lengths. So if your story maps out to six thousand words, then just write it!

Long Fiction Editor

Post July 05, 2013, 10:34:14 PM

Well, now this is getting interesting . . .
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Master Critic

Post July 07, 2013, 03:11:38 PM

Updates from Creator and the Catalyst - side

Here is a duplicate of the dialogue and stories from Creator and the Catalyst writing challenge. Click here and check it out http://www.creatorandthecatalyst.com/dir/index.php
Once there, click on writing challenge and then the challenge itself.

Master Critic

Post July 07, 2013, 03:12:49 PM

Update

Re: Diablo Canyon - Writing Event (July 2013)
by TaoPhoenix » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:22 pm

Yeah Dan, I had noticed that too earlier on, and I'm banking on that as well. (Though I forgot it this week!) Except for a minor decision later where to split the chapter, I'm considering it as a longer length story and just writing into what feels like a natural pacing.TaoPhoenix

Master Critic

Post July 07, 2013, 03:26:50 PM

Update

Re: Diablo Canyon - Writing Event (July 2013)
by TaoPhoenix » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:34 pm

Okay, here is a fragment from me:

--------------------

Story excerpt found on http://www.creatorandthecatalyst.com/dir/index.php
Last edited by Mark Edgemon on July 08, 2013, 04:24:16 PM, edited 2 times in total.

Master Critic

Post July 07, 2013, 03:38:00 PM

Update

Writer's Log Premise
by Mark Edgemon » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:50 pm

Post as you go without hesitation. I'm going to enjoy feasting on these steam punk treats from you, Jason and Tao.

Post teasers, movie promos (as if your story is a feature film), just plain ideas and concepts, personal storyboard illustrations (yea, ah Jason, repost your drawings if you don't mind), link to musical pieces you think would make good underscoring - anything that would inspire you and others. This is a collaborative writer's log, so have at it!

I'm personally working on several completely different stories with a mix of heroes and evil minions. Maybe - are you ready for this - the leads switch sides in the middle of the story and the hero towns person turns out to be bad and the aliens are there to rescue the town from him. (Wouldn't that be something).

And anyone feel free to take that idea, cause I'd like to see it play out by different authors.

Last edited by Mark Edgemon on July 08, 2013, 04:38:13 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Master Critic

Post July 07, 2013, 03:39:28 PM

Update

The comments and stories being posted from the "The Dark Side of Diablo Canyon" writing event at Creator and the Catalyst are are too many to repost here, so go to http://www.creatorandthecatalyst.com/di ... hp?f=3&t=3 and check out the moment by moment activity.

We have 10 participants so far. More expected!

Mark

Master Critic

Post July 08, 2013, 04:46:36 PM

Marla Joy is sketching characters from the story excerpts.

Master Critic

Post July 08, 2013, 08:01:01 PM

Stampeding Horses

And Iain Muir makes 11.

"The Dark Side of Diablo Canyon" participants (The Big Guns) are to date:

01. Dan Hollifield IVila)
02. George Philibin (Megawatts)
03. Jason Hill
04. Spacer
05. Tao Phoenix
06. Mark Edgemon
07. Lester Curtis
08. Casey Callaghan
09. Marla Joy
10. Craig Wesson (Wesson)
11. Iain Muir (Wormtongue)

Master Critic

Post July 09, 2013, 02:16:32 AM

Participants

And Robin Lipinski makes 12.

"The Dark Side of Diablo Canyon" participants to date:

01. Dan Hollifield IVila)
02. George Philibin (Megawatts)
03. Jason Hill
04. Spacer
05. Tao Phoenix
06. Mark Edgemon
07. Lester Curtis
08. Casey Callaghan
09. Marla Joy
10. Craig Wesson (Wesson)
11. Iain Muir (Wormtongue)
12. Robin Lipinski

Master Critic

Post July 10, 2013, 10:39:47 PM

Professional Quality Stories

Of the twelve participants in the writing event so far, there are 6 finished stories in as of this moment. There are two topics being used for this event. The writer's log topic in the sub forum, "writing event" (the Diablo Canyon topic) and the finished submissions topic.

Dan Hollifield has written a 4 part blockbuster manuscript unbelievably fast (a credit to many years of writing when he didn't feel like it, which gave him the super power to write at will). Jason Hill and Robin Lipinski both have finished their entires and I guarantee...you will NOT be able to second guess how their stories will end.

Here is the link to those stories. Feel free to register and comment on them.

http://www.creatorandthecatalyst.com/di ... p?f=7&t=33

Master Critic

Post July 19, 2013, 07:14:09 AM

Story Count

With over a week and a half to go in July's writing event, "The Dark Side of Diablo Canyon", we have 10 stories in and expecting at least 8 more. Plenty of epic sagas of the futuristic old west.

You can find them ready to read by clicking on this link, go to the submissions section of our forum and then to "The Dark Side of Diablo Canyon - Finished Submissions". You will find there a 4-part steam punk story by Dan Hollifield, a 3 part story with an additional 1 part story by Craig Wesson, a story by Jason Hill and Robin Lipinski with more to come.

Here is the link - http://www.creatorandthecatalyst.com/dir/index.php

Plenty of time for new writers to enter. An audio production story produced from the first place entry is awaiting the winner with other prizes for second and third place entries.

Mark

Master Critic

Post July 23, 2013, 06:46:30 AM

Story Count as of Today

There are 13 stories entered to date with 8 days remaining in the July's writing event, "The Dark Side of Diablo Canyon" at Creator and the Catalyst.. There are 10 more stories expected based on announcements by participants.

You can read and comment on the stories that have already been entered and comment on the process by clicking the link below and going to writing events.

http://www.creatorandthecatalyst.com/dir/index.php

Mark
Last edited by Mark Edgemon on July 25, 2013, 03:38:59 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Senior Editor

Post July 24, 2013, 09:19:46 AM

Re: Professional Quality Stories

Mark Edgemon wrote:Dan Hollifield has written a 4 part blockbuster manuscript unbelievably fast (a credit to many years of writing when he didn't feel like it, which gave him the super power to write at will).

Coming up with a plot that fits within the framework of a set of contest rules might be a superpower, LOL! I put the typing speed down to a rainy vacation weekend and a fridge full of beer. :)

The really hard part was, as usual, trying to write to a limited word count. I have to admit that's the reason I don't enter into our own Flash Fiction contests very often. I'm usually too long-winded to get to the point in 1000 words! The fact that Mark's contest allowed me to write 2000-word *chapters* was the only reason I was able to come up with a story at all. It took me nearly 700 words just to set the stage. Of course, I could have written something in 1500 words or so, then edited it with a chainsaw 'til I got the best 1000 words telling the entire tale. But I find that *very* difficult to do. With this piece, I was aiming for 10,000 words. Then the characters began to develop as I wrote them. The result was 8000 words that set up enough of a story that I may be able to re-purpose this piece as a single chapter of a longer story. Or maybe, if I work at it, I could shoehorn this into an existing manuscript that needs something that would expand the scope of that pre-existing piece into something better. Or I could use it as a stand-alone short in a totally different project.

I'll have to consider my options very carefully. There is a lot going on that I haven't been able to talk about in public. It wouldn't be fair for me to comment on things that may or may not ever happen. I will have to take each project in turn, give each one my best effort, and see what happens.

Dan
"Extremely difficult- Virtually impossible- However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..."
Brice Linch - Max Headroom

Master Critic

Post July 27, 2013, 02:46:13 AM

Re: Professional Quality Stories

Vila wrote:...The fact that Mark's contest allowed me to write 2000-word *chapters* was the only reason I was able to come up with a story at all.

Then the characters began to develop as I wrote them. The result was 8000 words that set up enough of a story that I may be able to re-purpose this piece as a single chapter of a longer story. Or maybe, if I work at it, I could shoehorn this into an existing manuscript that needs something that would expand the scope of that pre-existing piece into something better. Or I could use it as a stand-alone short in a totally different project.

Dan

This is the setting for a steampunk novel that movie rights would be sought after. Writers will have to bring their best game to come close to this caliber of story crafting.

The 4 part story can be found here by going to writing events and then, "The Dark Side of Diablo Canyon - Finished Entries".

Here's the link for convenience - http://www.creatorandthecatalyst.com/dir/index.php
Last edited by Mark Edgemon on July 27, 2013, 03:15:38 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Master Critic

Post July 27, 2013, 02:48:50 AM

Stories In and Anticipating Entries

The participation roster as of Friday July 26th.

Participants: Finished Entries (14 entries to date)
01. Dan Hollifield - a 4 part story
02. Jason Hill
03. Robin Lipinski
04. Craig Wesson - a 3 part story and 1 additional second entry
05. J. E. Deegan
06. Doug Donnan
07. J E Cammon
08. Iain Muir

Participants: Anticipating Entries (11 prospective entries to date)
01. Dan Edelman
02. Spacer
03. Iain Muir (Chapter 2)
04. Tao Phoenix
05. Marla Joy
06. Mark Edgemon
07. Lester Curtis - a 2 part story
08. Megawatts
09. Bradley Cannon
10. Andrew Saxsma

Master Critic

Post July 27, 2013, 06:15:15 PM

The Dark Side of Diablo Canyon: Participation Roster

The Dark Side of Diablo Canyon: Participation Roster

Stories Entered
01. Dan Hollifield - The Dark Side of Diablo Canyon: Part 1 – Strange Visitors
02. Dan Hollifield - The Dark Side of Diablo Canyon: Part 2 – Myths and Legends
03. Dan Hollifield - The Dark Side of Diablo Canyon: Part 3 – Asking Questions, Chasing Answers
04. Dan Hollifield - The Dark Side of Diablo Canyon: Part 4 – Plans Within Plans
05. Craig Wesson - Spirits of the Canyon - Part 1
06. Craig Wesson - Spirits of the Canyon - Part 2
07. Craig Wesson - Spirits of the Canyon - Part 3
08. Craig Wesson - Magenta
09. Jason Hill - Jake's Mountain
10. Robin B. Lipinski - Betting On a Lost Game
11. Iain Muir - Strange Visitors - Chapter One: The Anatomy Lesson.
12. Lester Curtis - Harken to Diablo, Part One
13. Lester Curtis - Harken to Diablo, Part Two
14. J. E. Deegan - The Competition
15. Doug Donnan - "Lizard Eye"
16. J E Cammon - Man in a Bottle
17. Dave Weaver - The Diablo File

Stories Expected
01. Mark Edgemon -
02. Marla Joy -
03. Lester Curtis - Harken to Diablo, Part Three
04. Tao Phoenix -
05. Geroge T. Philibin -
06. Spacer -
07. Bradley Cannon -
08. Dan Edleman -
09. Iain Muir - Strange Visitors - Chapter Two
10. Andrew Saxsma
11. Kate Thornton
12. David Brookes

Poetry Editor

Post July 30, 2013, 02:43:16 PM

Hokay. Mine's posted.
KNEEL before Zod!

Editor Emeritus

Post July 30, 2013, 08:44:42 PM

I'm finishing out this event with a single episode, and it's posted now too. I left room in the story for future episodes.

Return to Fun and Games