Aphelion Writers Plug Their Work

Feedback to the editors about the zine not relating to any specific issue.

Moderator: Editors

Senior Critic

Post March 01, 2008, 12:26:02 PM

Re: Aphelion Writers Plug Their Work

Into the dark of night, where the bloodsuckers roam...

My poem "Spirit of the Skull", about a vampiric spirit, has just been published in Issue 13 (April 2008) of the print magazine Night to Dawn.  The issue is available for purchase through PayPal here:

http://www.bloodredshadows.com/night2dawn.html
"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did. I'm going to recite poetry!"

stu

Junior Critic

Post March 04, 2008, 07:54:33 AM

My article 'The Middle Ages: A User's Guide' has just gone up over at www.estellasrevenge.com

Critic

Post March 26, 2008, 10:19:25 AM

Illuminations: The Friday Flash Fiction Anthology was launched at this weekend's eastercon - the British national SF Convention. It contains stories by both Gareths and Neil Beynon, among others. It looks fabulous, and we're all very proud of it.

You can order a copy here:

http://www.oddtwoout.co.uk/buybooks.html

Commenter

Post March 27, 2008, 01:55:30 PM

I have a question, except for comments the forum column how does anyone know if these stories and poems are even being read by others?
Thanks, RT

Editor Emeritus

Post March 27, 2008, 03:51:41 PM

By "these stories and poems", I presume you mean the ones in Aphelion, not the ones being "plugged". We used to have a hit counter that kept track of how many times someone accessed the main index page (back when one index covered all 'sections')... I think Rob Wynne can call up similar info now using webmavenish rituals involving the sacrifice of small furry animals. The total number of such "hits" on the main index used to be over 1,000 per month (I think)... what that meant in terms of readers for individual stories, I dunno.

RM
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Editor Emeritus

Post March 27, 2008, 08:56:28 PM

Re: Knowing if the Aphelion stories are being read

Of course, in this age of flashy entertainment, the number of items *read* is far less than the number of hits. I at least scout around before I decide on the readables for the week.

Commenter

Post March 28, 2008, 08:49:13 AM

yes I am referring to this web sites readers. I was curious.

On the other note I have a furry beast I would like to offer up to the gods, Stella by name, pest by habit, bossy little neurotic cat by nature.

My wife thinks this is not for prime time, gentlemen your comments and thoughts:

Heavy Metal Slumber
or
Married Life

A Kenworth, a Mack, Peterbuilt too.
Volvo rolls on, Mercedes limps few.
GM builds many, so does our FORD.
The badges are many, I'll never get bored

Diesels I know from life on the road.
Muffled,un-muffled, Air brakes and more.
Exhaust tunes distinct, yet some are so quiet.
When they sneak up and honk ya,
they surprise ya for sure.

Living at home, oh why must I suffer,
with a wife .....whose snores,
beats all mentioned upper.
It's like sleeping on hi-ways:
then truck nightmare A Wakes!
but it's only....... dear wife
applying.......J Brakes.

Editor Emeritus

Post March 28, 2008, 11:49:15 AM

It seems to me a kind of anti-ode, perhaps from the tradition of Edward Lear or Ogden Nash. For me, the problem is that the "collapsing" of the intent from "Life On The Road" to merely jeering at a wife snoring feels anti-climactic.
Last edited by TaoPhoenix on March 28, 2008, 11:50:43 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Commenter

Post March 28, 2008, 02:09:45 PM

jeering??? derision ?? I don't think so. This is a life statement using common place phenomena as reference point, in rhyme.

Editor Emeritus

Post March 29, 2008, 08:56:13 PM

I quite agree the topic is a typical life condition. The impression I had came from what felt like the excessive strength and the order of the analogy as it was presented.

I have only heard snoring loud enough to be in that class once before in my life; if that's what you're living with, we're sorry for you!

Senior Critic

Post March 31, 2008, 11:30:02 AM

Back to shameless plugs now...

My poem "A Horror Editor's Lament, or One Heck of a Headache" has been chosen as one of the best in Bewildering Stories in the first quarter of 2008.  It's in the short poems category of the Bewildering Stories First Quarterly Review 2008, Editors' Choices: Issues 273-283:

http://www.bewilderingstories.com/antho ... ntho2.html

Cheers!

Editor Emeritus

Post April 02, 2008, 11:45:45 AM

I have a question, except for comments the forum column how does anyone know if these stories and poems are even being read by others?
Thanks, RT

You ask the quintessential question, one all of us wonder sometimes: "Is anyone reading this?"

I'm sure Rob has access to simple, easy-to-read counter stats, but I don't expect to see them. At paid (print) publications, circulation numbers are made public to secure advertising (ie. reach X many households at our new, low rate), bring in new readers (475,000 readers can't be wrong, pick up a copy today), or (if they qualify) to keep periodicals rate postage in the annual statement of ownership (U.S.) required to be published once per year, in October, I believe.

At the small print plant I work at we print all or parts of over 40 different publications, and if it's not for one of those reasons, the publishers and editors I deal with tend to regard that information as private. I know how many copies they want printed, so I know what their circulation is. The public won't.

So, I guess the simple answer to how many people are reading our things is "more than if it wasn't published at all." Maybe a lot, maybe not. Usually it feels like 'not', but we may never know.

Nate
Last edited by kailhofer on April 02, 2008, 11:49:40 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Senior Critic

Post April 04, 2008, 06:40:51 PM

My poem "The Haunted Isle" and one of my scifaiku appear in issue 8 of the print magazine Illumen. In case anyone is interested, Illumen is available for purchase through the Genre Mall:

http://www.genremall.com/zinesr.htm#illumen

Senior Critic

Post April 07, 2008, 12:04:48 PM

And yet again...

Along with my speculative haiku about a shape-shifting berserker right here on Aphelion, I've also had another poem published on-line.  My poem "My Haunted House" appears in issue 284 of the e-zine Bewildering Stories:

http://www.bewilderingstories.com/issue ... house.html

"My Haunted House" was a deliberate attempt to write a piece with a bit of symbolism.  It's not just about ghosts in an old house (although it can be seen that way), it's also supposed to be about going back and facing troubles from your past, dealing with your personal demons.

Check it out!
Last edited by RHFay on April 07, 2008, 12:07:52 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Senior Critic

Post April 10, 2008, 05:33:23 PM

And yet another one on-line...

I just found out that my horror poem "The Collector" has been accepted for publication in the Spring issue of the e-zine DemonMinds.   The poem is already on-line, and can be seen here:

http://www.demonminds.com/tales/the_collector.asp

Check it out, if you dare...(cue diabolical laughter)

Senior Critic

Post April 12, 2008, 03:02:06 PM

Bio and poem on-line...

A little while back I received word that two of my poems have been accepted for publication in the zine The Ashen Eye.  One of the things that this particular publication does that's a bit different from the norm is post a short biographical article about each new contributor on their web site.  They also post a sneak-peek of an example of the contributor's work.

Well, my bio article and my poem "The Phantom Dimension" now appear on-line at The Ashen Eye web site:

http://www.ashen-eye.com/2008/04/11/richard-h-fay/

Check 'em out!  I think the poem is very "Lovecraftian".

Cheers!

Senior Critic

Post May 01, 2008, 12:18:21 PM

And yet another...

My fantasy poem "Kamal Del and the Dark Elemental" has just been published in the e-zine Sorcerous Signals:

http://www.sorceroussignals.com/KamelDe ... ental.html

It's accompanied by a nifty piece of artwork by Holly Eddy.  I think she did a superb job of capturing Kamal Del's essence.

Check it out!

And if you like my poem, please vote for it.  Just click on the "Vote for your favorite story/poem" link above the poem, which will take you to the Sorcerous Signals Reader Poll.  Vote for "Kamal Del and the Dark Elemental" in the "Favorite Poem" section.  Fan favorites and a few editor's picks will be selected to be in a year's end print anthology.

Thanks!

Senior Critic

Post May 01, 2008, 09:00:57 PM

Lots of brags comin' your way.  Are you ready for this?  Okay, here goes...

My poem "Demons of the Dark Nebula" along with my accompanying illustration and my article "Vampiric Creatures of Ancient Myth and Legend" have just been published in issue 6 of the magazine Hungur.  (The editor decided to hold another of my poems for the November issue.)

Plus, I have works published in the latest issue of Scifaikuest.

Both are available for purchase through the Genre Mall:

http://www.genremall.com/zinesr.htm#hungur

http://www.genremall.com/zinesr.htm#scifaikuest

And several of my illustrations appear alongside Bill Ward's article "With Axe and Spear: The Basic Weapons of the Viking Age Arsenal" in issue 10 of the zine Flashing Swords:

http://flashingswords.sfreader.com/issu ... 100017.asp

I highly recommend getting a print copy of Flashing Swords while they are available.  Just click on the cover image on the Flashing Swords home page:

http://flashingswords.sfreader.com/titlepage.asp

Cheers!
Last edited by RHFay on May 01, 2008, 09:38:13 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Senior Critic

Post May 05, 2008, 03:33:44 PM

My poem "Infiltration", a series of linked scifaiku, has just been published in issue 288 of the e-zine Bewildering Stories:

http://www.bewilderingstories.com/issue ... ation.html

Check it out! :)

Senior Editor

Post May 08, 2008, 09:13:24 AM

I am soooo excited! This is a copy of the guest list for the July 11-14 LibertyCon 21 in Chattanooga, Tennessee:

CONVENTION GUEST LIST
Our guest list and attending Pros are, we think, impressive for a small convention.
And all of them will be autographing, so bring your books!
Featured Guests:
Literary Guest of Honor

Harry Turtledove
Artist Guest of Honor
David Mattingly
Special Guest
David B. Coe
Master of Ceremonies
Eric Flint
Also Expected to Attend:
C Bangs artist
Christina Barber author
Mark Berry author
C.J. Cantrell author
Julie Cochrane author
Stephen E. Cobb author
Mark Fults artist
Dan Hollifield author
Dan Hoyt scientist
Sarah Hoyt author
Les Johnson scientist/author
Greg Matloff scientist/author
Danielle Ackley-McPhail author
Mike McPhail author
John Ringo author
Travis Taylor scientist/author
James Ward artist/puppeteer
Toni Weisskopf editor/author
Michael Z. Williamson author

I'm looking forward to the Con quite a lot. I'll be on a panel discussion about Internet & Small Press publishing. Those of you who know me well are already aware of how much I hate public speaking - I've already got butterflys the size of condors fluttering around in my stomache. ;)

Wish me luck!

Dan
"Extremely difficult- Virtually impossible- However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..."
Brice Linch - Max Headroom

stu

Junior Critic

Post May 08, 2008, 10:00:54 AM

My article 'A Sense of Place' is up over at http://www.estellasrevenge.com
This is probably also a good moment to mention my blog over at http://www.stu-stusplace.blogspot.com

Editor Emeritus

Post May 08, 2008, 10:12:32 AM

This is probably also a good moment to mention my blog over at http://www.stu-stusplace.blogspot.com

Congratulations, and -- HEY! You're not RHFay! :o

Jack London (1876-1916)

Master Critic

Post May 08, 2008, 12:30:06 PM

Congratulation RHFay!!!!
Tesla Lives!!!

Editor Emeritus

Post May 08, 2008, 08:00:00 PM

I dunno, Dan, if you can fit condors in there, we need to get you on the competitive eating circuit! ;D Good luck, and don't forget to plug your zine & forum!

Good for you, Stu.

Jeez, Robert, that reads as a little mean. Yeah, RH is prolific, and his loooong string of successes makes the rest of us slackers look bad. But it's still good that he's getting published. Proves it can be done. And it is a brag thread, after all...

Nate
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Senior Editor

Post May 08, 2008, 08:42:32 PM

I dunno, Dan, if you can fit condors in there, we need to get you on the competitive eating circuit! ;D Good luck, and don't forget to plug your zine & forum!

;D Aphelion is the reason I was asked to be on the panel! No one would be interested in me, otherwise.

Dan
"Extremely difficult- Virtually impossible- However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..."
Brice Linch - Max Headroom

Editor Emeritus

Post May 08, 2008, 11:13:12 PM

Jeez, Robert, that reads as a little mean. Yeah, RH is prolific, and his loooong string of successes makes the rest of us slackers look bad. But it's still good that he's getting published. Proves it can be done. And it is a brag thread, after all...

Nate

Well, I knew I could count on you to point out the flaws in my character...

And you, of all people, should know what I'm like when I'm TRYING to be mean. [smiley=evil.gif]

Actually, it just occurred to me that it would be nice if people would brag about appearing in Aphelion when they are published elsewhere! This thread theoretically draws attention to all those OTHER zines and such, but I don't know if there is a reciprocal draw TOWARD Aphelion. (I know that some authors who have websites or bios on writing websites mention us in their list of credits, but not all of those mentions include handy-dandy links to our publication.)

So ... Aphelion authors! If your work is published elsewhere, try to give US a plug (if the other publication will let you).

RM
Last edited by Robert_Moriyama on May 08, 2008, 11:19:56 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Editor Emeritus

Post May 09, 2008, 03:13:24 PM

Well, I knew I could count on you to point out the flaws in my character...

And you, of all people, should know what I'm like when I'm TRYING to be mean. [smiley=evil.gif]

And I'd think you, of all people, would recognize when your buttons are being pushed. [smiley=happy.gif]

Nate
Last edited by kailhofer on May 09, 2008, 03:16:38 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Commenter

Post May 09, 2008, 03:42:51 PM

Actually, it just occurred to me that it would be nice if people would brag about appearing in Aphelion when they are published elsewhere! This thread theoretically draws attention to all those OTHER zines and such, but I don't know if there is a reciprocal draw TOWARD Aphelion. (I know that some authors who have websites or bios on writing websites mention us in their list of credits, but not all of those mentions include handy-dandy links to our publication.)

Does this blog post on 7th May count as a draw towards Aphelion http://www.revolutionsf.com/bb/weblog.php?w=5&category=Space%20Squid and also a plug for me?

Senior Critic

Post May 09, 2008, 04:22:56 PM

Congratulations, and -- HEY! You're not RHFay! :o

Hey Robert -  :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

;D ;D ;D ;D

Actually, I love to see when others get things published.  I think, as writers, we should be supportive of each other.

I've just been lucky in that I've found some editors that really like my work.  And I've also been composing poems like crazy.

Woosh! 8-)

Senior Critic

Post May 09, 2008, 04:25:35 PM

Nate

Doesn't bother me. ;)  I've seen really mean elsewhere on the net, and this doesn't even come close.
PreviousNext

Return to Administrivia