Aphelion Writers Plug Their Work

Feedback to the editors about the zine not relating to any specific issue.

Moderator: Editors

Senior Critic

Post September 01, 2007, 04:16:58 PM

Re: Aphelion Writers Plug Their Work

Hello again! :)

September is a big month for me.  Another of my science fiction poems has just been published, this time in the e-zine The Fifth Di.... Here's the link to my poem "Explorers":

http://samsdotpublishing.com/fifth/explorers.htm

This poem holds a special place in my heart. It was the first out of this current batch of poems to be accepted for publication, back when I first started submitting poetry in March. It was an extreme reworking of a concept I had first written down (in a much different form) way back in the 1980s, when I first started writing poetry. This one might not be the first of my poems to be published in a "zine", but it's the first poem I ever had accepted for publication in a "zine".

One more thing; if you like my poem "Explorers", please vote for it here:

http://samsdotpublishing.com/fifth/fifthform.htm

You'll have to choose three favourite stories and three favourite poems. If you think "Explorers" should be in the top three, please vote for my work. I would love to get this poem into the Sam's Dot "Best of" print anthology. That would be a great feather in my cap!

So remember, check out "Explorers", and vote for it if you like it!

Cheers!  8-)
Last edited by RHFay on September 01, 2007, 04:42:59 PM, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did. I'm going to recite poetry!"

Senior Critic

Post September 03, 2007, 02:42:36 PM

One of my science fiction poems with a "Shirley MacLaine" feel to it (astral body trip into space) has just been published on the e-zine The Sword Review.

Here's the link:

http://www.theswordreview.com/item.php?sub_id=2713

but be warned that I haven't been able to connect to The Sword Review site in over a week. It's rather worrisome, especially now that I know my work has been published. I thought their server might be down, or there might be cable issues, but it seems odd that I would receive an e-mail from them.

If anyone tries to follow the link to my work, please let me know if you are able to get through. I would like to know if it's just my location, some sort of regional thing, or if The Sword Review is truly down.

The frustrating side of electronic publications - it's easy for gremlins to mess around with connections.

Thanks!

Senior Editor

Post September 03, 2007, 03:25:36 PM

I got through to the poem's page almost instantly.

Perhaps it's your ISP that's having the problems. Or a node near you that's getting a lot of traffic. The Net is such a huge mass of interconnections.

Or perhaps the problem has cleared up before I woke up this afternoon.

Dan
"Extremely difficult- Virtually impossible- However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..."
Brice Linch - Max Headroom

Senior Critic

Post September 03, 2007, 03:44:38 PM

I got through to the poem's page almost instantly.

Perhaps it's your ISP that's having the problems. Or a node near you that's getting a lot of traffic.  The Net is such a huge mass of interconnections.

Or perhaps the problem has cleared up before I woke up this afternoon.

Dan

Thanks.  It's nice to know that someone can see it, even if I can't.

I don't know what the problem is.  I do know that I haven't been able to connect to their site for over a week.  That seems like an awfully long time to have traffic issues.  And, The Sword Review site and its related publications seem to be the only ones that I frequently visit that I can't connect to.  As of now, I still can't connect to their site.

It appears to be a regional or local problem, whatever it is.

Thanks again.

Richard
Last edited by RHFay on September 03, 2007, 03:50:27 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Editor Emeritus

Post September 03, 2007, 09:15:29 PM

Make that at least two people who got through with no problems.

... What kind of problem / message are you getting? Connection Timed Out? Or "server may be down or busy"? Is it possible that your ISP (or a firewall on the system you are using) blocks the site for some reason?

RM
Last edited by Robert_Moriyama on September 03, 2007, 09:21:38 PM, edited 1 time in total.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Senior Critic

Post September 03, 2007, 10:02:59 PM

Make that at least two people who got through with no problems.

... What kind of problem / message are you getting? Connection Timed Out? Or "server may be down or busy"? Is it possible that your ISP (or a firewall on the system you are using) blocks the site for some reason?

RM

This is what I get when I try to connect to The Sword Review, or any of their related sites:

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

Many others do seem to be able to connect, but one other person I've spoken to via forums says he can't get past the front page of the publication.

Weird. :(

Editor Emeritus

Post September 04, 2007, 12:36:06 AM

I was able to get directly to your poem using the link you supplied using both Firefox 2.006 and IE 7. Then I clicked on the Sword Review banner in both browsers and got to their home page; then clicked on the link to your poem and again, reached your poem with no problems in both browsers.

What version(s) of IE are you and your other stymied (to varying degrees) friends using? Could it be an issue with options for running scripts or something equally annoying? (Dunno if Sword Review uses any "fancy" features -- it doesn't look like it from the page layout, but who knows?)

RM

Jack London (1876-1916)

Senior Critic

Post September 04, 2007, 10:28:46 AM

What version(s) of IE are you and your other stymied (to varying degrees) friends using?
RM

I'm running IE7. I have no clue about the other person, he's a forumite on another forum. All I know is that he was able to get the front page, and nothing more. I can't even get that far.

I'm going to try to run Windows Update, just to see if there's a recent update for Explorer.

A further note: it doesn't appear to be a browser issue. I just downloaded the latest Firefox browser, and it says that it can't connect to the server for The Sword Review. It seems to be some sort of connection issue between me and The Sword Review server.
Last edited by RHFay on September 04, 2007, 10:54:11 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Senior Critic

Post September 10, 2007, 03:50:25 PM

Hello all! :)

My poem "Nanomite 323" has just been published in the e-zine Bewildering Stories.  Here's the link:

http://www.bewilderingstories.com/issue ... te323.html

This one is written from a bit of a different perspective.  I thought the results were kind of neat.

Check it out!

Editor Emeritus

Post September 22, 2007, 10:39:57 AM

Re: StarHawk and Came the Sea

This might be the thread to continue the discussion of Captain Tony' pages.

Links for easy reference:
http://www.tonyscorner.com/
http://www.tonyscorner.com/quarterdeck.html

Some of you may not know of Tony's second effort, Came the Sea, which describes his Hurricane Survival experience. Considering that he's from Louisiana, "Plug" is the word of choice!

The new Quarterdeck page switches moods from Black-on-Grey to White on Swirls.  There's some neat info on some of Tony's early projects including his practice at model building. This probably helped his sense of basic mechanics to prevent some blunders occasionally seen in other new writer's efforts.

There's a discussion about whether a computer is crew, should have personality, and so on.   I'll mention here Anne McCaffrey's Ship Who Sang series as a good study on the subject.

On the subject of Pirates, the Pirate Bay group is suing the big media companies. Maybe there's still time to be a pirate!

Senior Critic

Post October 27, 2007, 01:55:07 PM

Hello all!  

For those of you who enjoy my scifaiku/horrorku, check out my poem "A Haunted House" in the Halloween 2007 issue of Tales from the Moonlit Path:

http://www.moonlit-path.com/poetry/fay-10-29-07.htm

This one is a series of related horrorku. I think it's an appropriate piece for the Halloween season.

Senior Critic

Post October 30, 2007, 01:57:59 PM

And yet another one...

My poem "The Black Dog", inspired by the folklore associating spectral black dogs with death omens, has just been posted on the e-zine Tales from the Moonlit Path. Here's the link:

http://www.moonlit-path.com/poetry/fay-dog-10-29-07.htm

I'm glad that it appears in their Halloween issue because I think it's an appropriate poem for the "spooky season". I think I do tell a scary tale in that one, and the editor seems to agree!

Happy haunting!

Senior Critic

Post November 01, 2007, 11:08:25 AM

And still more...

My fantasy poem with dark elements, "Battle in the Dark Castle", has just been published in the e-zine Sorcerous Signals.  Here's the link:

http://www.sorceroussignals.com/Battlei ... astle.html

Artwork by Lee Kurganti appears alongside my poem.

The editor of this e-zine is trying an experiment regarding payment to her contributors.  She has the e-zine set up to accept donations from readers.  So, if you really like my poem, please make a donation.  You can even contact me via the link on the page to let me know what you thought of the poem.

Senior Critic

Post November 01, 2007, 03:38:59 PM

And another one...

My poem "The Iltrox", about a vampiric alien creature, has just been published in issue 5 of the Sam's Dot print magazine Hungur.  Here's a link to the Sam's Dot Purchase Center for their print magazines:

http://samsdotpublishing.com/purchasece ... azines.htm

Scroll down, find Hungur, and click on the link.  It will take you to the Genre Mall.  Or, just find Hungur at the Genre Mall.  Look for Issue 5 (All Souls' Night, 2007).

I think this magazine is worth purchasing, and not just because my poem appears in it.  This publication has an interesting emphasis on stories and poems about vampires on other worlds.  They're definitely not your run-of-the-mill vampire stories!

Master Critic

Post November 04, 2007, 05:25:44 PM

good job!! keep the stories and novels coming!!
Tesla Lives!!!

Commenter

Post November 04, 2007, 07:27:19 PM

by the Editor of Atomjack Science Fiction Magazine:

Rarity From the Hollow:
A Lacy Dawn Adventure

by Robert Eggleton

Review by Adicus Ryan Garton

Imagine “Wizard of Oz” and “Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy” smashed together and taking place in a hollow in the hills of West Virginia. Now you have an idea of what to expect when you sit down to read Rarity From the Hollow: A Lacy Dawn Adventure by Robert Eggleton.

This novel is an unabashed, unashamed exploration of the life of young Lacy Dawn, as she learns that she is the savior of the universe. The naked, genderless android, Dot-com, who lives in a ship in a cave, told her so. Add her abusive father, her weak-willed mother, a sexually-abused ghost for a best friend that was murdered by her own father, trees that talk to her, a dog that can communicate telepathically with cockroaches and so much more.

There is so much to this story, and its writing is so unblinkingly honest; Eggleton spares us nothing in his descriptions of her father beating her and her mother, the emotions that the mother and daughter go through, the dark creeping insanity that eats away at her Iraq-veteran father, and the life in general of people too poor, too uneducated to escape.

In part, it is a grueling exposition of what children endure when being physically and emotionally abused. Eggleton almost seems to suggest that the only way for a child to escape is to learn that she is the savior of the universe. Lacy Dawn is strong, tough, smart—all those attributes that any child should have—and she reminds us that children are survivors, adaptive and optimistic. Instead of giving us a story of escapism, Eggleton shows us a girl whose life follows her through the story.

But don't think you're going to be reading something harsh and brutal and tragic. This book is laugh-out-loud funny at times, satiric of almost everything it touches upon (some common themes are shopping, masturbation, welfare, growing and selling drugs, and the lives of cockroaches). The characters from the hollow and from the planet Shptiludrp (the Mall of the Universe) are funny almost to the point of tears.

I hate happy endings to stories that deal with any kind of oppression or abuse because they tend to suggest, “In this case, it worked out okay,” and the reader walks away with the impression that the world is a better place (think of all those inner-city sports movies about black kids who win the big championship despite being addicted to crack). I thought for a long time that this book was an escapist fantasy, and when the fantasy broke, it was going to be tragic. No one wants to see a little girl go through heaven only to learn that hell awaits her at the end. And then when I realized that Eggleton was not writing an escapist fantasy, I worried that this happy ending effect was going to take place, making me not like the book, despite all its positive attributes. But when I realized that Lacy Dawn had to fix her life first before the story could progress, and that this was IMPOSSIBLE except by extraterrestrial means, and that Lacy Dawn carried her past with her as part of her instead of in spite of, it made the prospect of a happy ending much better.

Go here, buy the book and read it. It's absolutely fantastic, and the proceeds go to the Lacy Dawn Adventures project. It's like buying ice cream for charity—everybody wins.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More information about Robert Eggleton and the Lacy Dawn project can be found here.

"Stainless Steel", the story of Lacy Dawn's best friend, can be read right here in Atomjack.

______

______
Lacy Dawn Adventures

Editor Emeritus

Post November 04, 2007, 08:17:00 PM

"Stainless Steel", the story of Lacy Dawn's best friend, can be read right here in Atomjack.

Just out of curiosity, Robert, did you know you were getting a retread?

Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Commenter

Post November 04, 2007, 08:51:51 PM

What's a retread?
Lacy Dawn Adventures

Editor Emeritus

Post November 05, 2007, 08:49:16 AM

Just out of curiosity, Robert, did you know you were getting a retread?

Nate

I believe that it was mentioned at some point, but I really liked the story, so I went with it anyway.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Editor Emeritus

Post November 05, 2007, 07:19:06 PM

What's a retread?

A reprint.

As long as Robert knows and Atomjack doesn't lay claim to it exclusively for a set amount of time--they don't--there is no problem. (However, even though Aphelion is '4theluv', I think this will technically use your second electronic rights.) I only asked because it is a little unusual to see a story in a second publication so soon after a 1st in May.

But really, good for you getting it into a second market this fast.

Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Commenter

Post November 05, 2007, 07:33:56 PM

Yes. Please note the mention of Atomjack at the end of the story here.
Lacy Dawn Adventures

Senior Critic

Post November 06, 2007, 01:55:38 PM

Another dark poem published...

My poem "The Banshee's Cry" has been published in Volume 2.3 of the print horror magazine Sinister Tales, available for purchase here:

http://darknessproductions.com/

Senior Critic

Post November 14, 2007, 07:57:25 PM

I got a bit of a surprise today when I contacted the editor of The Willows about an illustration that had been accepted for publication back in May. I was concerned because I thought it hadn't been published yet. Come to find out, the piece actually did appear in the magazine's July issue! I don't know why I never got word about its publication (e-mail gremlins, perhaps?), but at least I now know it was indeed published.

So, my pen and ink drawing "Forest of the Damned" was used as an accompanying illustration for David Tallerman's story "The Gate in the Jungle" in the July issue of the print magazine The Willows.

In case anyone is interested, The Willows is available for purchase here:

http://www.thewillowsmagazine.com/

They should have some copies of the July issue left.

I found out about this a bit late, but better late than never.

Senior Critic

Post November 19, 2007, 01:39:26 PM

Okay, now I'm feeling like I'm in the Twilight Zone!

In the previous post, I stated that I recently found out that an illustration of mine was used in the July issue of The Willows. At least, that's what the editor told me in an e-mail.

Well, I received a copy of the July 2007 issue of The Willows that I had ordered, and lo and behold, no sign of my illustration! I double-checked my e-mail message from the editor, and he did indeed say July. Now I have to send him another e-mail to verify which issue my illustration actually appears in.

So, I hope nobody ordered a copy of the July issue of The Willows looking for my illustration, and wondered where it was. I'll post updated information as soon as I receive it.
Last edited by RHFay on November 19, 2007, 02:13:47 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Senior Critic

Post November 19, 2007, 03:04:56 PM

An update:

I just got verification from the editor. The illustration was actually in the September 2007 issue of The Willows. He apologized for the mistake and offered to send me a complimentary copy of the correct issue.

Senior Critic

Post November 23, 2007, 07:04:06 PM

My illustration "Battle Crows Gather" has been published in the fantasy e-zine Flashing Swords as an accompaniment to Michael D. Turner's poem "The Crows Gather Near".

Here's a link:

http://flashingswords.sfreader.com/issu ... ss8-02.htm

I must admit that I had a bit of an advantage with this drawing. During the fall and winter months, there is a rather large flock of crows that tends to gather in the trees in this area. Recently, they decided to roost in the arsenal right across the street. So I actually observed the crows in flight, and let them inspire my art.

As for the human figures, I tried to create a meld of the historic (I'm a historical arms and armour buff) and the fantasy. I think it gives it a realistic flavour.

Check it out!

Senior Critic

Post December 01, 2007, 10:51:14 AM

My poem "Book of Dimensions" and my accompanying artwork for that poem have just been published in the e-zine Niteblade.  Here's the link:

http://www.niteblade.com/december-2007/ ... nsions.htm

Check it out!  I personally feel that the artwork is one of my better creations.  It's pretty cool.  

I thought I should also mention that Niteblade is available as an ad-free pdf here:

http://www.niteblade.com/shop/index.htm
Last edited by RHFay on December 01, 2007, 10:52:25 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Master Critic

Post December 01, 2007, 12:00:29 PM

I hadn't heard of Niteblade. Thanks for the link. I will be submitting something there soon.

-- david j.
Check out my blog: http://wp.me/NXsO

Senior Critic

Post December 02, 2007, 11:30:09 PM

On to my latest news...

December is truly big for me; I've got lots of publications to brag about.

My poem "Gothic Window", along with my accompanying piece of artwork for that poem, appears in issue 23 of Aoife's Kiss.

My poems  "The Accursed Castle" and "Things in the Swamp", along with my accompanying artwork for "Things in the Swamp", appear in the 2008 issue of Champagne Shivers.

Both magazines are available at the Genre Mall:

http://www.genremall.com/zinesr.htm#aoife

http://www.genremall.com/zinesr.htm#champagneshivers

And I just saw on the Sam's Dot site that my poem "Explorers", which appeared in the September issue of The Fifth Di..., was voted favourite poem for that issue.

So, thanks to any and all who voted for my poem.

Cheers!

Critic

Post December 03, 2007, 12:21:10 PM

Some of you may remember my 2005 story Too Late the Hero that appeared right here at Aphelion.  I've written a very short sequel (338 words) The Ironic Man that you can see at my blog:

http://garethdjones.blogspot.com/2007/1 ... c-man.html
PreviousNext

Return to Administrivia