Aphelion Writers Plug Their Work

Feedback to the editors about the zine not relating to any specific issue.

Moderator: Editors

Senior Critic

Post May 09, 2008, 04:27:59 PM

Re: Aphelion Writers Plug Their Work

My article 'A Sense of Place' is up over at http://www.estellasrevenge.com
This is probably also a good moment to mention my blog over at http://www.stu-stusplace.blogspot.com

Congrats, Stu! Sometimes I feel awfully lonely bragging all by myself.
"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did. I'm going to recite poetry!"

Senior Critic

Post May 09, 2008, 04:36:19 PM

Actually, it just occurred to me that it would be nice if people would brag about appearing in Aphelion when they are published elsewhere! This thread theoretically draws attention to all those OTHER zines and such, but I don't know if there is a reciprocal draw TOWARD Aphelion. (I know that some authors who have websites or bios on writing websites mention us in their list of credits, but not all of those mentions include handy-dandy links to our publication.)

So ... Aphelion authors! If your work is published elsewhere, try to give US a plug (if the other publication will let you).

RM

I do already.  Believe me, I do.  I post brags with links on other forums as well as on my blogs and on my "List of Publications" on my web site.  I also often mention Aphelion in my bio when submitting to other publications. And now that you brought it up, I'll work on adding a link to Aphelion on my links page as well.

My brags on SFReader.com appear to have gained Aphelion a few more contributors.  More contributors could mean more brags, which could mean more readers.

So, see, you should be nicer to me. :P ;)
Last edited by RHFay on May 09, 2008, 04:42:00 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Senior Critic

Post May 09, 2008, 04:40:51 PM

And now for another brag... :)

Arcane Whispers - Volume 1, a print anthology featuring the stories selected as best of Sorcerous Signals 2007, is now available through Lulu.com:

http://www.lulu.com/content/2325422

My poem "Battle in the Dark Castle", first published in the Nov 07 - Jan 08 issue of Sorcerous Signals, is one of the works appearing in the anthology. I feel like breaking out in that old Pointer Sisters song - "I'm So Excited".  ;D

Commenter

Post May 16, 2008, 09:50:31 AM

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to share my success like others before have. My short story, entitled "March Forth" (a drama piece), has been chosen for an upcoming edition (perhaps in the summer) of Bewildering Stories just this morning.

What's more, about four hours later, in my inbox arrived another e-mail--this one from The Horror Express, a print magazine--notifying me that a story I'd sent them for consideration back in October has been chosen for an anthology to be released at the end of the year.

This is the first time ever I've had two acceptances in one day. Incidentally, "The Judgment" I'd sent in to Aphelion's short fiction editor Robert Moriyama I believe at around the same time I'd done so to the above-mentioned publication. It didn't appeal at the time, although I took his suggestions into consideration and revised accordingly.

I am so thrilled and pleased about both acceptances and look forward to especially receiving and holding my copy of the anthology, as this would be only my second print acceptance (the first being the now-defunct Great Mystery and Suspense Magazine in July of last year).  

By the way, my first acceptance ever (print or online) was here online ("Frailty"--October 2006), for which I received a number of helpful comments, so this is kind of where it all started for me as a writer.
Last edited by AFE1975 on May 16, 2008, 10:05:08 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Master Critic

Post May 16, 2008, 12:52:21 PM

Great to hear your good news. Aphelion is a coffee house where writers can learn, write, suggest, and

understand. Good writing comes with hard work, and Aphelion keeps you on the right track. Your hard

work here will get you places!!
Tesla Lives!!!

Editor Emeritus

Post May 16, 2008, 06:40:06 PM

... And the submission editors are SO talented they will spill coffee on the bad parts of your entry, so only the good stuff is left.

And if it just isn't working out, and you feel like your fourth draft is only good to line the animal house, we'll rent you a cuddly animal of your choice free for the day.

Editor Emeritus

Post May 16, 2008, 09:06:38 PM

Good for you, Andy. Well done.

Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Commenter

Post May 26, 2008, 09:59:56 AM

Wanted to share another recent acceptance: My piece, "The Avenger," is scheduled to appear in the June edition of Static Movement Online (http://www.staticmovement.com/).

I'm so happy about these recent acceptances. These successes have given me the courage to believe that eventually you'll get your work published if you work hard and believe.

And thanks to all for your congrats!

PS: I'm including this in the PS since we're talking about a different medium here. I recently have taken an interest in writing plays for the radio after a contest I'd read about (and participated in). Prior to sending my script off, I did some reading on how to write them, and came up with my first. It is called "Wrong Turn" and is about a crack-cocaine dealer who ends up hiding . . . in a funeral home. I recently completed the play and decided to do the acting, all the parts, myself, with sound effects. My intention is to write several more (even adapting several of my stories, including ones already published, online and in print), and then to market them to radio stations. I uploaded it yesterday to YouTube. Anyone who'd be interested in taking a look (or, actually, listening to it), please visit. I'd also love to receive your comments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax-hY7aTChA

My first love, however, still remains the writing of short stories.
Last edited by AFE1975 on May 26, 2008, 10:12:09 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Senior Critic

Post June 01, 2008, 12:08:51 PM

Wanted to share another recent acceptance: My piece, "The Avenger," is scheduled to appear in the June edition of Static Movement Online

I'm so happy about these recent acceptances. These successes have given me the courage to believe that eventually you'll get your work published if you work hard and believe.

Congrats, congrats, and congrats again!

Yes, those successes do help give you courage and boost your confidence.  I was almost ready to thrown in the towel, but then I decided to compose and submit poetry to various market.  Then I started receiving acceptances for my poetry, and it's helped keep me going.

To get your work published by various publications, you have to various publications over, and over, and over again.  Resubmit rejections over, and over, and over again until you find the right venue.  Listen to comments and criticisms, try to hone your skills, and keep plugging away.

Senior Critic

Post June 01, 2008, 12:29:48 PM

A couple more brags from yours truly...

My poem "Corpse-Candles" has just been published in the June 2008 issue of the e-zine Niteblade:

http://www.niteblade.com/june-2008/corpse-candles.htm

You can also purchase an ad-free pdf of Niteblade here:

http://www.niteblade.com/shop/index.htm

And, several of my illustrations accompany Lisa Agnew's article "Era of Fairies and Dragons" in Flashing Swords Special Edition, Summer 2008.  The article is only available in print - there is no preview of it on-line.  You can purchase a copy of the Flashing Swords Special Summer Issue here:

http://flashingswords.sfreader.com/titlepage.asp

(Click on the cover image.)

Cheers!

Senior Critic

Post June 01, 2008, 10:28:39 PM

And more...

My drabble "The Trouble with Unsolicited Messages" received an honorable mention in the 11th Sam's Dot Drabble Contest.

The Drabbler #11 will be available from the Genre Mall on 15 June 2008:

http://www.genremall.com/anthologiesr.htm#drabbler11

Senior Critic

Post June 05, 2008, 01:08:49 PM

I guess this falls under the category of "better late than never", since I just received my contributor's copy today...

My sci-fi poem "Holiday on Phreetum Prime" has been published in the March/April 2008 issue of the journal Star*Line, the official journal of the Science Fiction Poetry Association. This is one of my weirder pieces. I went all-out letting my imagination roam free, and I think the results were worth it. And it's a nice lighter break from my darker works.

And the roll goes on, and on, and on, and...

Senior Critic

Post June 05, 2008, 04:49:21 PM

And another one...

The print edition of DemonMinds Spring 2008 is available through Amazon.com here:

http://www.amazon.com/DemonMinds-Spring ... 819&sr=8-1

It features the best of the Spring 2008 issue of the DemonMinds e-zine, including my poem "The Collector".

Another reprint, and I didn't really have to do much more than say "okay".  I think those are the very best kind of reprints.

Senior Critic

Post June 06, 2008, 04:38:02 PM

Niteblade "Lost Innocence" Anthology Poll:

http://niteblade.com/lost-innocence/

The e-zine Niteblade is running a month-long poll to decide which stories and poems from the first four issues will be included in the Niteblade print anthology Lost Innocence.

Three of my poems appear on the poll - "Fantasyku", "Book of Dimensions", and "Corpse-Candles".  If you like my poetry and think it's deserving of inclusion in the anthology, please vote for one of the three.

Thank you for your support!
Last edited by RHFay on June 06, 2008, 06:08:27 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Senior Critic

Post June 30, 2008, 05:03:55 PM

The premiere issue of the horror magazine The Ashen Eye is now available here:
http://www.ashen-eye.com/store/

It contains my poem "The Faces", along with many other stories and poems penned by quite a few fine horror writers and dark speculative poets.

Senior Critic

Post July 01, 2008, 01:19:30 PM

I just received my contributor's copy of the Summer 2008 issue of Tales of the Talisman. It contains my poem "Galactic Road Trip".

I'm glad this one is finally out there. It's one of my fun pieces, a pleasant break from my darker works. Dark is fine, and works well for me, but I don't want to spend all of my time in the dark.

In case anyone is interested in purchasing a copy of Tales of the Talisman, it's available here:

http://www.talesofthetalisman.com/

Master Critic

Post July 01, 2008, 07:07:20 PM

I've just made my first professional sale!  Hurrah!  To Australian magazine Cosmos.  I don't know when it's scheduled to appear yet, but I'm pretty excited already!

Great!! Love it when an Aphelion makes it! Good job!!!
Tesla Lives!!!

Senior Critic

Post July 02, 2008, 11:12:15 PM

It's official! My dark speculative poem "Corpse-Candles" has been chosen to appear in the Niteblade anthology Lost Innocence. It finished in the top five in the readers' poll.

The anthology is scheduled for release September 1st, 2008.

Thanks to all who voted for my poems. I couldn't have done it without you.

Wahoo!

stu

Junior Critic

Post July 07, 2008, 02:18:21 PM

My article 'reading outside' has just gone up over at Estella's Revenge

http://estellabooks.blogspot.com/2008/07/reading-outside.html

Editor Emeritus

Post July 07, 2008, 02:36:03 PM

Y'know, I'm beginning to think this Fay fellow and his friend Stu may be onto something... a recipe for earning bragging rights, as it were ...

[1]Take some degree of talent
    [2]Exercise that talent (write a LOT)
    [3]Test that talent (submit what you write)
    [4]When constructive criticism is received, take it into consideration (even if it stings)
    [5]Repeat Steps 2 - 4 as required

Now, that first element is a toughie, but we should all probably be trying Steps 2 - 4 more than we are... (Personally, I haven't submitted much outside of Aphelion for quite some time. Gallus Domesticus -- it's my gladiator name.)

RM
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

stu

Junior Critic

Post July 07, 2008, 04:39:32 PM

You forgot step six: when in doubt, do something slightly odd.

Editor Emeritus

Post July 07, 2008, 08:00:29 PM

Not all of us are brave enough for the whole do-it-yourself strip-o-gram approach, no matter how well it has worked for you... :o

RM
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Senior Critic

Post July 10, 2008, 12:05:37 PM

Y'know, I'm beginning to think this Fay fellow and his friend Stu may be onto something... a recipe for earning bragging rights, as it were ...

[1]Take some degree of talent
    [2]Exercise that talent (write a LOT)
    [3]Test that talent (submit what you write)
    [4]When constructive criticism is received, take it into consideration (even if it stings)
    [5]Repeat Steps 2 - 4 as required

Yep, that's pretty much whatcha gotta do. Especially a lot of #2 and #4. You won't get published if you don't write and then submit.

At one point I had thirty to fourty poems submitted to various publications. That number has plummeted recently, but only because I've been holding a lot of my works back for a forthcoming collection.

And I wouldn't have a collection in the works if I hadn't impressed a publisher (small-house or even micro, but still traditional) with my published poetry and illustrations.

Moral of the story - get your stuff written, and get it out there!
Last edited by RHFay on July 10, 2008, 12:18:59 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Senior Critic

Post July 10, 2008, 12:11:36 PM

My "step #6" - when in doubt, do what I want to do, write what I want to write in the style I want to use, and may the "current trends" or the "established literary rules" be damned! (To a point.)

Some times it works, and some times it doesn't. Some times editors tell me my poetry can be "less than poetic", but I also have many people who don't usually read poetry reading my poetry.

Senior Critic

Post July 10, 2008, 12:18:03 PM

Actually, a more realistic, a more serious "step #6" would probably be -
shameless self promotion.
(in big, friendly letters)

Getting your work accepted and published is often only half the battle. After the work is published, the really tough part begins - getting people to read it.

stu

Junior Critic

Post July 18, 2008, 01:07:45 PM

My poem '36 Watts' has just gone up over at http://ancientheartmagazine.blogspot.com/

Senior Critic

Post July 18, 2008, 01:37:26 PM

Neat poem. Congrats!

Senior Critic

Post July 18, 2008, 01:38:46 PM

Three of my dark speculative poems have just been published in Issue 3 of the horror e-zine The Monsters Next Door. You can find my poem "Gremlins in My Brain", plus my cinquains "What Stirs There" and "Death in the Forest" here:
http://themonstersnextdoor.webs.com/richardfay.html
(art by Sean Eddingfield).

I believe that "What Stirs There" and "Death in the Forest" are my first dark cinquains to see publication. I've been experimenting with the form since I read about it in Terrie Leigh Relf's book The Poet's Workshop - and Beyond (thanks, Terrie!). I might break a few of the rules of cinquain composition with my own cinquains, but I'm like that at times.

stu

Junior Critic

Post July 18, 2008, 05:20:05 PM

I particularly liked 'Death in the Forest'. It has a very direct sort of feel that's very effective.

stu

Junior Critic

Post July 29, 2008, 11:41:17 AM

My poem, 'An Abbreviation' has just taken second place in Trellis Magazine's vilanelle competition.
PreviousNext

Return to Administrivia