Aphelion Writers Plug Their Work

Feedback to the editors about the zine not relating to any specific issue.

Moderator: Editors

Junior Critic

Post May 04, 2007, 04:12:30 AM

I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where Aphelion writers can plug the work they do in other markets.

To start the ball rolling, I'd like to announce that:

1) "Distant Galaxies Colliding" - my short story collection (featuring reworkings of several stories first published in Aphelion) has been accepted for publication by Elastic Press in August 2008.

2) "Silversands" - my first novel has been accepted for publication by Pendragon Press in 2009.

3) I've sold another short story to Interzone - "Ack-Ack Macaque" should appear in the magazine soon, with artwork by SMS.

Master Critic

Post May 04, 2007, 04:51:19 AM

wow, that's amazing. congrats. you make me feel like the total loser that i invariably am.

Lee

Editor Emeritus

Post May 04, 2007, 11:59:08 PM

Re: Aphelion Writers Plug Their Work

I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where Aphelion writers can plug the work they do in other markets.

To start the ball rolling, I'd like to announce that:

1) "Distant Galaxies Colliding" - my short story collection (featuring reworkings of several stories first published in Aphelion) has been accepted for publication by Elastic Press in August 2008.

2) "Silversands" - my first novel has been accepted for publication by Pendragon Press in 2009.

3) I've sold another short story to Interzone - "Ack-Ack Macaque" should appear in the magazine soon, with artwork by SMS.

Like Lee, I got that jealous, depressed feeling, but darn it, good for you. It's nice to see someone succeed.

Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Junior Critic

Post May 19, 2007, 03:50:32 PM

Me again.

Back in April 2005, I had a story called 'Six Lights off Green Scar' published in Aphelion: http://www.aphelion-webzine.com/shorts/2005/04/SixLightsOffGreenScar.html

I thought you might be interested to know that there's now a heavily rewritten version of this story available for you to read on the Infinity Plus website: http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/sixlights.htm

If you remember the original Aphelion version, I'd be interested to hear your opinions of the rewrite.

I hope you like it.

Gareth

Senior Critic

Post June 30, 2007, 02:08:11 PM

Ooh...goodie...a "brags and self-promotions" thread! ;)

Here are some of my works that have already appeared on-line:

http://www.demonminds.com/tales/midnight_sabbath.html
This poem, "Midnight Sabbath", came in tied for 1st runner-up in the 2007 DemonMinds Horror Poetry Contest.  I think it's rather spooky.  I've been writing a lot of dark poetry lately.

http://www.haikuhaven.com/RichardHFayHaikuHaven.htm
Several of my "mainstream" haiku, as opposed to "scifaiku", appear on Haiku Haven.  Some haiku purists may claim that many of these aren't proper haiku, but my skill as a "haikuist" is still evolving.

http://www.fantastichorror.com/01/fay-t ... court.html
This one on Fantastic Horror has an accompanying illustration penned by yours truly.  This one has caused quite a bit of interest.  It was inspired by the old fairy folklore about the evil residents of the realm of fairy.

I've got more works awaiting publication, both in print and on-line, later this year and into 2008.

Keep watching for updates!

Cheers!  
"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did. I'm going to recite poetry!"

Senior Critic

Post July 09, 2007, 09:57:01 AM

Hello again!

This isn't huge news, but I think it's interesting. One of my mainstream haiku just appeared on the ASAHI HAIKUIST NETWORK on ASAHI.com. The interesting thing is, this on-line publication actually originates from Japan. So, I have a haiku in Japan (sort of).

Here's the link: http://www.asahi.com/english/haiku/index.html
Mine's the one that starts "heaven's bright jewels".

Funny thing is, I think I've written better haiku than this one, but this is the one the editor picked to use. Apparently, the editor was going for a night time-theme, which I didn't know when I submitted that one. It was just chance that the haiku fit the editor's theme for that batch of haiku. I still think it's neat that I now have a haiku in a publication that's based in the homeland of haiku!

Cheers!

Commenter

Post July 16, 2007, 05:51:08 PM

I guess I still count. I have a novelette "Child, Maiden, Woman, Crone" in the June issue of Jim Baen's Universe. My short story "Days of Heroes" has just been posted in the July issue of Sentinel S-F (http://www.cedarhillsentinel.com/).

Senior Critic

Post July 16, 2007, 07:14:57 PM

Hello all!

My poem "Sorcerous Evolution" has just been published in the on-line version of The Sword Review. Here's the link:

http://theswordreview.com/item.php?sub_id=1535

It will also be appearing in their print edition later this year.

Cheers!

Senior Critic

Post July 23, 2007, 11:34:42 AM

Just a quick note: the Asahi Haikuist Network switched over to a new issue, so my haiku is now gone. The link to the page with the haiku in English no longer takes you to the right issue. Apparently, the Asahi Haikuist Network doesn't archive the haiku. So, don't bother trying to find my haiku "heaven's bright jewels" at the Asahi.com link.

Editor Emeritus

Post July 23, 2007, 02:50:45 PM

"Don't bother trying to locate X out of print work" ... is the leading challenge to get me riled.

For those of you who still wish to gaze at heaven's bright jewels, try here.

http://216.109.125.130/search/cache?ei= ... 1&.intl=us

Tao "Everything In Print Forever" Phoenix

Editor Emeritus

Post July 23, 2007, 03:16:03 PM

For his next trick, Tao will provide a link to transcripts of the missing 18 minutes from the Watergate tapes ... :o

Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Senior Critic

Post July 24, 2007, 09:56:29 AM

"Don't bother trying to locate X out of print work" ... is the leading challenge to get me riled.
Tao "Everything In Print Forever" Phoenix

I appreciate the effort, since it was a bit sad to see my haiku disappear, but the link is leading me to their July 21-22 page.  My haiku was on the July 7-8 page.

I did eventually find it, though.  They do seem to archive the haiku after all, just on a different page.  I found a link way down on the bottom of the page that said "back numbers".  I didn't even realize at first that this meant "back issues".  My initial link didn't work after they changed it, but this one should:

http://www.asahi.com/english/haiku/070709.html

I don't guarantee that this link will work forever, but it does take you to the page with "heaven's bright jewels".

Cheers!
Last edited by RHFay on July 24, 2007, 10:03:56 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Senior Critic

Post July 28, 2007, 05:45:55 PM

Hello all!

One of my few mainstream poetry submissions, "Worrying", has been accepted for publication in the Fall (ready some time in August) issue of Skyline Magazine, a literary/arts publication:

http://www.skylinemagazines.com/

My poem will not be appearing on-line in this instance, only in print.

Senior Editor

Post July 29, 2007, 07:30:51 AM

Lyn and I are at LibertyCon this weekend, but the hotel has wireless access so I've been able to read all the e-mails. "Sometimes it feels like / somebody's watching me..." I'm so glad that I decided to bring the laptop. (Unfortunately, I haven't taken a single photo, so no illos for the con report.)

This con report won't be much. Most of the pro writers are really nice, and only one or two are egocentric. Vincent DiFate is a wonderful man, and quite patient with fans gushing their praise for his artwork. There is a chance that Atlanta Radio Theater Company might want to use one or two of my Mare stories for futute audio plays. I' going to submit some and see. It turns out that Bill Rich is their head honcho, and I met him back when I was in college. (I have an in!!! LOL!)

I hope Rob & Larissa have had as much fun with their housewarming party as Lyn & I have been having at the Con.

We'll be back at Casa Vila on Monday afternoon.

Dan
"Extremely difficult- Virtually impossible- However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..."
Brice Linch - Max Headroom

Critic

Post August 02, 2007, 07:15:00 AM

My story Looking In , Looking Out appears in issue #1 of Murky Depths.  My copies arrived yesterday, and what a fabulous looking magazine it is!  Have a look at the website, and buy a copy (after reading this month's Aphelion).

http://www.murkydepths.com/

Editor Emeritus

Post August 02, 2007, 09:53:27 AM

Re: Locating Off-prime work

"I appreciate the effort, since it was a bit sad to see my haiku disappear, but the link is leading me to their July 21-22 page. My haiku was on the July 7-8 page."

---- At the time I posted it, I think it was accurate. I suspect that the search engines reuse their cache, which if true, is something I never figured on before.

For example, as of 8-2-07, the following cache works. (You can tell because it yellow-highlights the desired poem.)

http://216.109.125.130/search/cache?ei= ... 1&.intl=us

"I did eventually find it, though. They do seem to archive the haiku after all, just on a different page. I found a link way down on the bottom of the page that said "back numbers". I didn't even realize at first that this meant "back issues". My initial link didn't work after they changed it, but this one should:

http://www.asahi.com/english/haiku/070709.html

I don't guarantee that this link will work forever, but it does take you to the page with "heaven's bright jewels"."

--Of course, yours is the better solution. Most importantly, we learned we're not trapped by the vicissitudes of the front page.

Senior Critic

Post August 02, 2007, 11:44:37 AM

Hey TaoPhoenix!

I'm still a bit of a novice when it comes to this "internet thing", especially search-engine caches and that sort of thing.  Also I'm finding that some times different publications archive things a bit differently.

Personally, I like the way Aphelion and many other places do it.  I don't have to change my links come next issue.  The fact that the original link to my haiku on Asahi stopped working after they went to their next issue led me to believe that the haiku was gone, until I took a closer look at their site.

Moral of the story: check your links to make sure they still work after a publication goes to its next issue, and look around very carefully for an archive.

Thanks again!

Editor Emeritus

Post August 02, 2007, 01:34:40 PM

"The way Aphelion ... does it" will be even better once the Author Index is brought up to date (a Herculean task that I managed to neglect after agreeing to tackle it a couple of years ago). Then you'll be able to say, "Find my name in the Archives -- Author Index, and you'll be able to see everything of mine that Aphelion has run."

(As it is, some authors have had a number of stories or poems in Aphelion over the past several years, but their names don't appear in the Author Index at all, leaving them feeling neglected and contemplating terrible, twisted plans for revenge ... or is that just Nate? ;))

Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Senior Critic

Post August 02, 2007, 02:30:45 PM

"The way Aphelion ... does it" will be even better once the Author Index is brought up to date (a Herculean task that I managed to neglect after agreeing to tackle it a couple of years ago). Then you'll be able to say, "Find my name in the Archives -- Author Index, and you'll be able to see everything of mine that Aphelion has run."

I wondered why I wasn't there... ;)
Actually, I figured you were still working on it.  It will be a nice feature once it's complete.  As it is, at least the links to my Aphelion scifaiku don't disappear or change on me. :)

RHFay

Editor Emeritus

Post August 02, 2007, 06:19:12 PM

(As it is, some authors have had a number of stories or poems in Aphelion over the past several years, but their names don't appear in the Author Index at all, leaving them feeling neglected and contemplating terrible, twisted plans for revenge ... or is that just Nate? ;))

Robert M.

Let's see... Maybe Robert's challenge this month (and his alone) should be to create a tragic tale of a workaholic who loses touch with his family and spends all of time in the bathtub... using only the words "billy goat", & "go-go dancer". Yeah! That's it. [smiley=bath.gif]

Well, ok, maybe it won't be that bad. But it will be different!

Nate
Last edited by kailhofer on August 02, 2007, 06:19:44 PM, edited 1 time in total.
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Editor Emeritus

Post August 02, 2007, 08:39:59 PM

"Let's see... Maybe Robert's challenge this month (and his alone) should be to create a tragic tale of a workaholic who loses touch with his family and spends all of time in the bathtub... using only the words "billy goat", & "go-go dancer". Yeah! That's it."

Hmm... This is like one of those bonus rounds of Lingo.

b i l l y g o a t g o g o d a n c e r

a b c d e g i l n o r t y
a e i o y b c d g l n r t y

------

Roy eyed 'is lady. "Linda, try not to cry. I'll be late to dinner."

Lance called. "Roy, contract bleeding again. Try to race Bacardi, Inc to the end line...."

Roy ... Gone Again.

Editor Emeritus

Post August 02, 2007, 09:17:15 PM

"Let's see... Maybe Robert's challenge this month (and his alone) should be to create a tragic tale of a workaholic who loses touch with his family and spends all of time in the bathtub... using only the words "billy goat", & "go-go dancer". Yeah! That's it."

Hmm... This is like one of those bonus rounds of Lingo.

b i l l y g o a t g o g o d a n c e r

a b c d e g i l n o r t y
a e i o y b c d g l n r t y

------

Roy eyed 'is lady. "Linda, try not to cry. I'll be late to dinner."

Lance called. "Roy, contract bleeding again. Try to race Bacardi, Inc to the end line...."

Roy ... Gone Again.

Okay, so you used the LETTERS in the words "billy goat" and "go go dancer", and so long as you used each letter at least once, one could argue that you met the conditions of the challenge. But you lose points for failing to mention the bathtub.

Roy tarried too long in bat'. Boat long gone.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Senior Critic

Post August 20, 2007, 11:42:46 AM

Hello all! :)

My poem "West Dingleton's Loss of Humanity" has just been published in the e-zine Bewildering Stories, issue 256. Here's the link:

http://www.bewilderingstories.com/issue ... leton.html

I'm very impressed by how the editor described the poem in their "Welcome" department for new contributors; he called it "a poem with a kind of Twilight Zone moral". I'm proud that my work has been compared to that classic series. Some pretty talented writers worked on that show.

Stay tuned, because I've got another poem coming out in Bewildering Stories in a couple of weeks.

Senior Critic

Post August 21, 2007, 12:33:17 PM

And yet another one...

My poem "Darkling Dale: Forest of the Damned" has just been published on the e-zine DemonMinds. Here's the link:
http://www.demonminds.com/tales/darklin ... amned.html

I think this poem tells a neat little horror tale. Check it out!

Critic

Post August 22, 2007, 09:30:54 AM

I've just made my first professional sale! Hurrah! To Australian magazine Cosmos. I don't know when it's scheduled to appear yet, but I'm pretty excited already!

WebMaven

Post August 22, 2007, 11:52:13 AM

I've just made my first professional sale! Hurrah! To Australian magazine Cosmos. I don't know when it's scheduled to appear yet, but I'm pretty excited already!

Congratulations!!

I love it when an Aphelion alum gets a pro sale!

Senior Critic

Post August 22, 2007, 12:19:09 PM

I've just made my first professional sale!  Hurrah!  To Australian magazine Cosmos.  I don't know when it's scheduled to appear yet, but I'm pretty excited already!

Congratulations, GDJ! Here's hoping it's not the last!

Editor Emeritus

Post August 22, 2007, 08:10:58 PM

Good for you! Congratulations.

Nate

Editor Emeritus

Post August 22, 2007, 10:17:28 PM

I'm not jealous at all. Really.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Senior Critic

Post August 31, 2007, 08:17:46 PM

Hello all! :)

My collection of fantasy-themed haiku that together tell a story has just been posted on the brand new e-zine Niteblade. Here's the link to my poem:

http://www.niteblade.com/september-2007/fantasyku.htm

This poem began life as an unconnected collection of fantasyku. I submitted them a couple of times, with no success, before deciding to connect them in a storyline. The idea worked, and the poem was accepted.

Check it out! 8-)
Next

Return to Administrivia