Vila's Music Store!

Feedback to the editors about the zine not relating to any specific issue.

Moderator: Editors

Senior Editor

Post August 20, 2011, 05:29:08 PM

Vila's Music Store!

I recently got back into making music and joined a website called SoundCloud to have a place to post it online. It was well received by others on the website, so I thought I should go ahead and take the next step. There is an option to allow listeners buy downloads of entire sets, or of individual tracks. After I had uploaded 28 songs, over 2 hours of instrumental music, I thought about it for several weeks, then decided to give it a go. I figured out the "Buy A Download" applet and created a new set on SoundCloud that people can purchase. I now have a simple, self-produced album out!

I titled it "Fantasy For Sale - Cheap!" There are 14 songs in the set. The runtime is 66 minutes. People can buy the whole album for $9.99 US (£ 6.04 UK), or individual tracks for $.99 US (£ .60 UK). The music is a mix of my garage band recordings, computer-performed sheet music that I've written, and the newest compositions using Music Maker 4.

Once someone has the download, they can easily burn it to a music CD. Blank CDs can usually hold 70 to 80 minutes of music. Or they can just listen to it on their computer. I've kept the option of allowing people to listen to any or all of the songs for free on the websites.

At the moment, there are three ways to buy it; on SoundCloud there is a "Buy this set" button on the Sets page, and on the Tracks page each song on the album has a "Buy this track" button. Or the whole album can be downloaded from my VibeDeck page. Payment is through PayPal, so it is quick, easy, and secure.

http://vibedeck.com/danl-hollifield-studio-d
http://soundcloud.com/vila01

Give it a listen sometime. If you like what you hear and want to keep a copy, toss a ten-spot my way. My mortgage company will thank you for it!

Dan
"Extremely difficult- Virtually impossible- However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..."
Brice Linch - Max Headroom

Senior Editor

Post September 04, 2013, 11:54:43 PM

Re: Vila's Music Store!

Forget the Vibe Deck link in the previous post. I allowed the site to lapse because no one ever bought anything. Instead, I joined Create Space and have released my 1st music CD there. Create Space is a POD publisher, part of the Amazon.com family, and has a very good reputation with writers and musicians who have used it in the past.

For each title uploaded to the Create Space service, whether book or music CD, the users are given a page with a Buy Now link for viewers to use if they so choose. There is also a Preview function, where users can upload a free excerpt for their work so that potential buyers aren't treated to some sort of A"pig-in-a-poke" and buying something sight unseen. Or "unheard" as it turns out to be in my case. The album should be listed on Amazon and Amazon Digital Downloads within the next couple of weeks.

Rob Wynne is working me up a template page here on the Aphelion website. One to which I can upload links to previews and "Buy It Now" pages as a sort of online store. I could have easily just done my own little page in an obscure directory on the website, but I want it to fit in with the layout of the zine so that any reader can click over, check it out, and click back to the zine with a minimum of fuss and bother. I do hope no one considers this an abuse of my "Vast Editorial Powers." I've poured my life into Aphelion for going on 20 years now. I don't want anyone to think that I'm suddenly trying to promote myself above any of our writers. I'm never going to try and make a dime off of Aphelion. I sink roughly $1000 a year out of my own pocket into keeping Aphelion online. Aphelion exists for the writers who submit stories, and the readers who enjoy them. That's my mission. For y'all to get published, to start getting paid for your hard work, and for the readers to be able to count on finding good stories here. Like all of our writers, I'm working towards getting paid to write. In my case, I write more than stories, sometimes. I multi-task, a lot. :)

When Rob has the template ready, I'll post links to it, both here and in all the social media sites I use. I believe this is a better way of doing things than putting up a "donate" button or accepting adverts. I don't want that, and I'll do whatever I can to keep Aphelion free and clear of such nonsense.

Now, as to the music itself- There's a wide variety of things that I compose. I've even got decades-old recordings of "garage band" jam sessions that are older than Aphelion, itself. At the moment I have a back-catalog of 10 or 12 albums worth of various music. I'm working on dragging all of that, kicking and screaming, into the light of day. :) Right now, I have one album out. 14 songs, 68 minutes playing time, all written within the past two years using several versions of a program called MAGIX Music Maker. Here is a link to a preview of the title track from the album: https://www.createspace.com/Preview/1131890 called "Never Bank On A Learning Curve." It's free to listen to, so give it a try and see for yourself what I get up to when you're not watching, LOL!

Other songs on the album can be previewed on my Sound Cloud page, as well as parts of other albums that are works-in-progress at the moment. You can find my Sound Cloud page here: https://soundcloud.com/vila01 I've made it easy to find the 1st album, as well as several others that I haven't completed yet. Of course the quality of the Sound Cloud page is a tad lacking. The CDs will and do sound far better.

And if you need a recommendation from a familiar poster on these boards, Our own Mark Edgemon has listened to several of my offerings, and has told me that they are well worth a listener's time. In case you want to take a risk on the other songs in the 1st album, the Create Space link is: https://www.createspace.com/2190909 Let it be known that I'd rather that you buy from Create Space than from Amazon for a physical CD. For a $25 list price CD, Create Space gives me $16. Amazon would only give me $8 for the same disc.

More news as it develops,

Dan
"Extremely difficult- Virtually impossible- However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..."

Senior Editor

Post September 16, 2013, 01:45:55 AM

It seems quite soon after the announcement of my first album release, but I'm in the middle of the upload of song files for my second album. The cover artwork is roughly half finished, and can't be completed until the upload is done. I can't access the rest of the publisher's website until the upload finishes, in other words.

"Second Helping" runs for 68 minutes, with 15 songs, once again in a wide range of styles and genres. I'll post links to the album sales page and the preview track page as soon as I have those URLs to work with.

Sales of the first album have been pretty flat. I sold two in two days, but that's it. Rob recommended that I lower the price, which I did, from $25 to $19.99 for a CD. The digital downloads page has yet to go live, but I can't imagine that it would take too many more days. Digital downloads will be under $7 for the full album, and under $0.75 per song. I can't check on the exact price until the downloads go live. I'll use the same price range for the 2nd album once it goes live. And as soon as I have the info, I'll post the actual download prices, too.

Dan

Poetry Editor

Post September 17, 2013, 02:48:33 AM

Downloads work better for us "forn types", Dan.
KNEEL before Zod!

Senior Editor

Post September 18, 2013, 07:14:34 AM

Wormtongue wrote:Downloads work better for us "forn types", Dan.

I'm still waiting for the downloads to become active. It took about two weeks from the original release date of the CD for Amazon to activate the listing for the CD itself. I keep checking the status of the downloads, but they haven't changed yet. But when I was finishing up the forms for the second album, I was able to see the prices for the downloads. $6.18 to download the full album, $0.65 to download individual songs.

In other news, the album I'm doing of music inspired by Stephanie Osborn's "Displaced Detective" series has reached the pre-upload edit stage. I thought I had one more left to compose, but Stephanie liked one of my other songs so much that she asked for it instead of a new composition. So I'll be editing the song files to prepare them for uploading. In the meantime, Stephanie has asked her husband Darrell to provide the cover artwork for the CD. Once that's done, I'll upload the art and set the process in motion once more.

Senior Editor

Post September 21, 2013, 11:27:50 PM

And the digital downloads are now available from the Bandcamp website:

http://danhollifield.bandcamp.com

I'm happy to say that the full album downloads are $6.18 and individual songs are $0.65, or more if the buyer chooses to pay more to show their support. Both albums are available there.

In further news, the "Second Helping" album has been approved by Create Space and my proof copy of the physical CD is already on its way to me. Once I test the proof copy, I'll release the CD. I plan to set the price at a point where I get $10 for each copy sold + the charges for the Create Space service that run over that amount. Which means I'll probably get less than $5 for every copy sold through Amazon.com, but so what? I'll reset the price of the "Learning Curve album to reflect that adjustment as well. I want people to be able to afford these buggers! :)

Dan

Senior Editor

Post October 28, 2013, 02:30:04 PM

It's now available. Please check it out. You can listen for free on the Bandcamp website.
It is here, it sounds wonderful, and it is now live! Physical CDs can be gotten here:

https://www.createspace.com/2196507

And digital downloads can be gotten here:

http://danhollifield.bandcamp.com/album/the-displaced-detective-suite

Master Critic

Post October 28, 2013, 03:28:12 PM

Vila wrote:It's now available. Please check it out. You can listen for free on the Bandcamp website.
It is here, it sounds wonderful, and it is now live! Physical CDs can be gotten here:

https://www.createspace.com/2196507

And digital downloads can be gotten here:

http://danhollifield.bandcamp.com/album/the-displaced-detective-suite

This looks like a professional distribution set up! I'm proud of your work!

Editor Emeritus

Post May 24, 2018, 05:59:53 AM

... And I believe I can do a BennuBird effort on this!

"In the age of the Web, a Generation is Five Years".

Did any of you newcomers know this was here!?

Dan, Are there any price updates since then?

I'm now in New York City, not sleepy Cape Cod, and we're coming up on Summer in the city, and I'm gaining new types of abilities I never had.

I am doing a tremendous amount of studying lately, and these are as good as any I've found!

Here is one track link (3 links in from, from Bandcamp) that I shall listen to for a week!

https://danhollifield.bandcamp.com/track/unlimited-skye

Listen, Learn, Write!

Return to Administrivia