Septober issue

Feedback to the editors about the zine not relating to any specific issue.

Moderator: Editors

Editor Emeritus

Post September 20, 2010, 03:32:00 PM

Septober issue

Well, Real Life has pushed the planned September issue well past mid-month, so we will be running a super-sized September / October issue around October 3rd (he said, a nervous tic causing his eyebrows to stage a Spock versus Groucho Marx match above his bloodshot eyes).

I will be contributing a Guest Editorial whingeing* about how having a Day Job (or NOT having a Day Job, or worrying about losing a Day Job) and other pesky reminders of the (so-called) Real World can make publishing a 'zine dedicated to the (so-called) UNreal a tricky business.

(* Whingeing is what pretentious elitist types do instead of whining, like regular people. "Whinge" rhymes with "binge" and "twinge", purely by coincidence, I'm sure.)
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Long Fiction Editor

Post September 21, 2010, 12:31:25 AM

Please remember, gentle Sir, that whingeing is an art form. Be certain to practice a few test whinges before committing the final product for our consumption.

Hm -- 'Septober' . . . I like it.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Senior Editor

Post September 29, 2010, 10:13:26 AM

I'm sorry folks, but a lot of the lateness for the new issue is because of personal difficulties. I haven't been able to do any Aphelion chores for over a month now. I'm afraid there will be only 10 days left in October for me to try and get back in the saddle, once everything has been dealt with here.

Back in July my Dad was diagnosed as a diabetic, but thankfully dietary changes have proved able to cope with the condition. His Alzheimers is also benefiting from the changes to his eating habits, but- He continues to have days where the lights are on, but he's stepped out for a bit. I have been a little depressed over seeing his memory blinking on and off like flickering light.

Also in July my Mom's oldest sister had to go to the hospital. She was in and out of there for several weeks. Sadly, she passed away in late August. I was unable to go to the funeral because of mandatory OSHA Safety Training for work. If I missed the training, I would have been forbidden to return to my job until I went to another training session- weeks later.

About a week later, Lindsey's dad broke his arm in an accident on his brand new Mobility Scooter. As soon as we got the news, Lyn & I started making preparations to fly over to England. While Lyn's dad was in the hospital for that, the doctors discovered that his prostate cancer had spread to his bones. Later still, they discovered it had spread to his lungs as well. He was transferred to a special hospice for terminal patients. He passed away a week ago, on the 22nd of September. My passport arrived the very next day. That may not be irony, but it'll do 'til the real thing shows up. Lyn & I will be flying over next week for the funeral.

We've had to jump through all sorts of hoops to be allowed to make the trip. Forms to fill out, fees to pay, negotiating with my employers for time off that wasn't exactly as outlined in the contract, booking a flight, etc.

Lyn has 4.5 days left to get everything done before we get on the airplane. I have what's left of today and all day tomorrow- 'Cause I still have to go to work this weekend. We'll be driving to Atlanta Monday morning, parking our van at Rob & Larissa's, taking MARTA to the airport, dealing with security there, and finally boarding our flight. 9 hours after that we'll touch down in London. We'll spend a little over a week there, then come home. Hopefully things will settle back down when we return.

This is the longest composition that I've been able to concentrate on writing since mid-July. Sorry, but the delays have been unavoidable.

Dan

Master Critic

Post September 29, 2010, 08:30:37 PM

Dan,

My condolences on all your heartache of late. Go take care of your family, and, if possible, enjoy yourself a bit in the UK. The zine will still be here. The fans will still be here. Aphelion has seen some skipped months in the past, and it's still the longest running ezine out there, right?

You worry about you for a little my friend.

-- david j.
Check out my blog: http://wp.me/NXsO

Master Critic

Post September 30, 2010, 12:07:32 AM

In the words of The Sage, Dan. . .

Do what'cha gotta do.

We'll be here when you're ready.

Be safe, be strong. Know that we care.

Bill
"I am Susan Ivanova. . . .I am the Right Hand of Vengence. . .I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Long Fiction Editor

Post September 30, 2010, 12:14:38 AM

Dan,
I'm sorry to hear of the troubles you're going through. Life can rain misery on you at times.

A delayed issue isn't going to hurt any of us. Go and take care of your family, and I wish you safe travels.

Master Critic

Post October 03, 2010, 10:06:53 PM

Dan,

Sorry about the troubles. You do a fantasitic job as it is.

Hope everthing works our for you.

I've had my share of family problems and knew how difficult it can be.

Take care of yourself.

George
Tesla Lives!!!

Editor Emeritus

Post October 04, 2010, 10:16:25 PM

Re: Septober issue

Robert_Moriyama wrote:Well, Real Life has pushed the planned September issue well past mid-month, so we will be running a super-sized September / October issue around October 3rd (he said, a nervous tic causing his eyebrows to stage a Spock versus Groucho Marx match above his bloodshot eyes).

Any update on this date? (If I ever got added to the editorial mailing list, I'd probably know already, but I don't know...)
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Editor Emeritus

Post October 05, 2010, 10:12:23 AM

Whyfor is Nate not in the "aped" list?

Since the timing of the Challenges is supposed to be at least loosely linked to the timing of new Aphelion issues (so the results can be included in the Short Stories index), Nate really should be in on the smoke-filled back room discussions (cough, cough).

Rob said he would try to flip the issue last night (apparently not), so presumably it should be up within the next day or two, barring computer disasters (at Rob's day-and-night job or at home)...

RM
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Senior Editor

Post October 06, 2010, 05:48:26 AM

In England: The flight went well, all the difficulties of international travel seemed to have ignored us on the trip over. Getting to know Lyn's family is proving fun and feels like going home to my own family.

The funeral is this afternoon, the weather is beautiful after yesterday's rain, and more family is on their way. Things are shaping up to be a wonderful send-off to my father-in-law.

Dan.

Senior Editor

Post October 11, 2010, 12:43:12 PM

Spent yesterday walking around London. Visited the park outside the palace, the Sherlock Holmes Pub, the Sherlock Holmes Museum, The White Hart Pub, and wound up the night with a Jack the Ripper tour with our firend Trevor Bond and our friend Phillip Hutchinson who leads the JTR tour we attended. Met in passing our friend Don Rumbelow who was busy leading his own tour group.

Phillip helped us find our way back to Waterloo Station where we caught our train back to Cosham. Got back to Cosham about Midnight and proceeded to sleep until nearly noon today - ehausted from walking all over London.

We go off to visit some more good friends on Wed. & then rush to the airport to wind our way home on Fri.

Dan

Long Fiction Editor

Post October 11, 2010, 03:43:05 PM

Glad to hear everything went well for you there. Have a safe trip home!

Return to Administrivia