Nominations for Best of 2009?

Feedback to the editors about the zine not relating to any specific issue.

Moderator: Editors

Editor Emeritus

Post January 12, 2010, 03:15:48 PM

Nominations for Best of 2009?

Name your favorite stories from 2009, the ones that stood out for the quality of the writing, plot, imagery, characters, or all those elements. The February edition of Aphelion will include my picks for top short stories of 2009 plus some new material (lest the backlog eat my hard drive), and I welcome any [s]bribes [/s] suggestions from the Usual Suspects and even the lurkers (I know you're there -- I can hear you clicking and scrolling).

The other Editors might also welcome suggestions for favorite poems, novellas (or in J. B. Hogan's case, novels), features, and (lest we forget) Editorials, although they will reserve the right to ignore your suggestions. (Our sandbox -- well, Dan's -- our rules.)

RM
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Editor Emeritus

Post January 13, 2010, 07:54:29 AM

Best

Wow, I forgot about that step!

Talk about mental crowding!

Master Critic

Post January 13, 2010, 06:51:49 PM

Will there be a Best Of for the flash fiction section?

-- david j.
Check out my blog: http://wp.me/NXsO

Editor Emeritus

Post January 14, 2010, 03:21:08 PM

davjonz wrote:Will there be a Best Of for the flash fiction section?

-- david j.
That's ok, I don't need another place to show off my example stories. :D

Seriously, I hadn't thought about it. Am I going to have a place to put them? The continued silence at the other end is very reassuring... :roll:
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Editor Emeritus

Post January 14, 2010, 05:20:34 PM

Hmmm...

kailhofer wrote:
davjonz wrote:Will there be a Best Of for the flash fiction section?

-- david j.
That's ok, I don't need another place to show off my example stories. :D

Seriously, I hadn't thought about it. Am I going to have a place to put them? The continued silence at the other end is very reassuring... :roll:

If we assume the WINNING story from each challenge is automatically the "Best" for that month, it's one thing... but if it's YOUR (Nate's) favorite stories (which it really should be, since other Editors pick THEIR favorites), it's another (especially assuming we don't rule out the example stories as being eligible to be your favorites even though you make consider them ineligible to "win" the challenges).

In the former case, we could have a consolidated list of Flash Challenge winners and maybe provide links into your Flash Index; but in the latter case, someone would have to cut and paste the selected bits into some other directory (I think...you haven't been including the example stories in the Index, have you?). Maybe we should make separate HTML files from each of the selected "Best of" flash stories (Nate's examples or other people's entries, "winners" or not) and provide a folder for them. I can do the FTP'ing if Nate is still privilege-deficient (for which he shouldn't feel bad -- I still use Dan's FTP userid and password!).

RM

Jack London (1876-1916)

Editor Emeritus

Post January 14, 2010, 05:53:05 PM

Re: Hmmm...

Robert_Moriyama wrote:If we assume the WINNING story from each challenge is automatically the "Best" for that month, it's one thing... but if it's YOUR (Nate's) favorite stories (which it really should be, since other Editors pick THEIR favorites), it's another.

I would pick my favorites, which were not always the ones that won.

In the former case, we could have a consolidated list of Flash Challenge winners and maybe provide links into your Flash Index; but in the latter case, someone would have to cut and paste the selected bits into some other directory (I think...you haven't been including the example stories in the Index, have you?). Maybe we should make separate HTML files from each of the selected "Best of" flash stories (Nate's examples or other people's entries, "winners" or not) and provide a folder for them. I can do the FTP'ing if Nate is still privilege-deficient (for which he shouldn't feel bad -- I still use Dan's FTP userid and password!).

RM
I think we can just link to the spot they reside in the Flash Index. I mean, there's no point in having to make separate html pages. As long as there's a spot pointing to them on one of the main index pages, it has the same effect without all the extra work. If it's ok with you, I'll just PM you with the titles and link locations. A half dozen or so should suffice, don't you think?

My example stories are in the index, but I don't blow my own horn about them. If you click on the challenge title, it takes you to the example story. I dunno, gang. Do you think one of them deserved a 'best of'? If so, I think that determination ought to come from the challenge participants and not me.

Nate
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Editor Emeritus

Post January 15, 2010, 01:52:17 PM

Bests

There. Just sent Robert the list & links for my best Flash choices.

Ooo. I feel all editor-ish. Editor-y? Editorial? One of those.

Senior Editor

Post January 15, 2010, 05:58:35 PM

Re: Bests

kailhofer wrote:Ooo. I feel all editor-ish. Editor-y? Editorial? One of those.

During this time of year, I think the correct term is more like "Editor-ICK!-al OMFG!!! It's 'Best Of' time again? So soon? I'm not ready! Where can I hide until April?!??!" Or something along those lines.

:)

Dan

Master Critic

Post January 15, 2010, 07:05:54 PM

index pages

Linking to index pages to point to the picks as Nate suggested would be Okay if the index were current.

RT

Poetry Editor

Post January 16, 2010, 08:34:11 PM

Oooh, a chance to get someone else to pick the 'best' poetry? Send your suggestions to me and I will include the people's choices. if not, you're all stuck with mine, and you know I have weird tastes! :)
KNEEL before Zod!

Editor Emeritus

Post January 20, 2010, 01:48:23 PM

What? No favorites?

Surely there must be some stories that stood out (in a good way)? Otherwise, we will have to assume that we have achieved either

a) a uniform level of quality (good or bad), so all stories deserve the same level of appreciation (or lack thereof), or
b) a universal level of apathy (MY GOD, someone has rebuilt the Alconost device (see the Nightwatch archives).

Fight apathy! Make a nomination (or two, or twelve) today!

:!:

Jack London (1876-1916)

Editor Emeritus

Post January 20, 2010, 06:55:32 PM

Re: index pages

rick tornello wrote:Linking to index pages to point to the picks as Nate suggested would be Okay if the index were current.

RT

I'm glad Robert posted something in this thread because I'd forgotten this comment.

I'm not sure what you mean, Rick. What's not current? Robert has a short story index page for every issue, just like the ones for Poetry, Serials, or Features. We add the flash Best Ofs to his index page, then point the links to the posted versions of the stories from the Flash Index thread.

The Flash Index (the index part, not the thread itself) looks like it's up to date and was since before New Years.

Nate

Master Critic

Post January 20, 2010, 08:19:30 PM

looking in all the wrong places

I went to archives and then to back issues which stopped in May. I will re look.

RT

Master Critic

Post January 20, 2010, 08:22:07 PM

index page???

Where?

Senior Editor

Post January 20, 2010, 09:24:51 PM

Rick, the Flash Stories are all indexed here in the Forums. Nate has never fallen behind on that. The Archives are such a big set of files that it is difficult for TaoPhoenix & Rob Wynne together to keep them updated. Aphelion's latest revamp doesn't make it any easier, either. :)

Figure an average 12 short stories per issue,
+ an average of 3 novellas/serial chapters per issue,
+ an average of 10 poems per issue,
= 25 items to add to the Archives for every issue of Aphelion.
x 30 to 60 minutes to update & upload an existing writer's page,
+ 45 to 75 minutes to create & upload a page for a new writer,
+ 15 minutes *for each new writer listed* to update the main index page for the Archives itself,
= a *minimum* of 12 hours work just to update the Archives with all the stories & poetry for a single issue! A bare minimum of 144 hours of work to do a year's worth of updates, at least.

Then factor in that everyone has to fit doing Aphelion stuff into their otherwise free time from their offline lives... Without being paid? The real mystery is why we're not further behind than we are! :D

Dan
Last edited by Vila on January 20, 2010, 09:56:45 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Editor Emeritus

Post January 20, 2010, 09:26:15 PM

When you click on the short stories button on the left, it takes you to an index page, where Robert lists the stories for that issue.

It has nothing to do with the archives.

Master Critic

Post January 20, 2010, 10:16:49 PM

button on lrft

yes, that i know. I get current stuff but I can't get the older work.

Editor Emeritus

Post January 21, 2010, 01:14:14 AM

Vila wrote:Figure an average 12 short stories per issue,
+ an average of 3 novellas/serial chapters per issue,
+ an average of 10 poems per issue,
= 25 items to add to the Archives for every issue of Aphelion.
x 30 to 60 minutes to update & upload an existing writer's page,
+ 45 to 75 minutes to create & upload a page for a new writer,
+ 15 minutes *for each new writer listed* to update the main index page for the Archives itself,
= a *minimum* of 12 hours work just to update the Archives with all the stories & poetry for a single issue! A bare minimum of 144 hours of work to do a year's worth of updates, at least.

Then factor in that everyone has to fit doing Aphelion stuff into their otherwise free time from their offline lives... Without being paid? The real mystery is why we're not further behind than we are! :D

Dan

I've mentioned this before, but since I do not understand the mechanics I'll ask again. Can't the stories be coded, (say with their meta tags) to show the author, issue, etc., then whenever the archives are accessed the computer compiles a list of whatever is currently in there by those tags? That way, no one has to do it all by hand & it could always be current.

Again, I have no concept of what that takes, but doing everything by hand seems highly inefficient, from my complete layman's perspective.

Editor Emeritus

Post January 21, 2010, 01:39:03 PM

Re: button on lrft

rick tornello wrote:yes, that i know. I get current stuff but I can't get the older work.

I will see if I can use the latest "back issue" file as a template and add a few more months to the list... if Rob doesn't beat me to it.

You mean there weren't any standout stories in February, March, April, or May of 2009? Or you don't want to pick favorites until you get to review June through December?

RM

Jack London (1876-1916)

Master Critic

Post January 21, 2010, 03:32:59 PM

pick me a winner

Yeah I'd like to review all if I must, maybe.
However,
I liked it better when the editors picked.

RT

Editor Emeritus

Post January 21, 2010, 03:57:04 PM

Re: pick me a winner

rick tornello wrote:Yeah I'd like to review all if I must, maybe.
However,
I liked it better when the editors picked.

RT

Ya lazy good-fer-nuttin'... don'tcha wanna help the poor frazzled editors? It's not like we ain't gonna ignore your suggestions if we don't like 'em anyway (oops, did I type that, or just think it?).

Seriously, we CAN pick our own favorites, but we'd like to know if the readers agree at least some of the time. And any story that gets multiple mentions from readers probably deserves inclusion even if it ISN'T on our personal Top Ten (or whatever) list.

:?

Jack London (1876-1916)

Editor Emeritus

Post January 22, 2010, 12:46:18 AM

BACK ISSUE INDEX UPDATED!

I just finished pasting together and uploading the consolidated editorial / index pages for issues 133 - 139 inclusive. You should now be able to access all 2009 material.

RM 8)

Jack London (1876-1916)

Master Critic

Post January 22, 2010, 11:36:01 AM

Thank you

Thank you.

Editor Emeritus

Post January 22, 2010, 02:31:05 PM

My Best Short Stories 'short list'

Jack London (1876-1916)

Editor Emeritus

Post January 26, 2010, 11:34:21 AM

Still waiting for suggestions...

Bill Wolfe says "anything by Lee Gimenez". If you can't pick a story, maybe you can pick an author or authors whose work you always enjoy...

:?:

Jack London (1876-1916)

Master Critic

Post January 29, 2010, 04:27:56 PM

Re: Still waiting for suggestions...

Robert_Moriyama wrote:Bill Wolfe says "anything by Lee Gimenez". If you can't pick a story, maybe you can pick an author or authors whose work you always enjoy...

:?:

Actually, Robert:

gino_ss wrote:Robert,

Anything written by Lee Gimenez would be a good start.

gino

What's going on here? First someone thinks Michele is me and now someone else thinks Gino is me!

I didn't mind the first because it gave me an excuse to flirt with Michele, but since Gino's already turned me down, I don't have anything to gain from it.

It is odd, though.

Bill Wolfe
"I am Susan Ivanova. . . .I am the Right Hand of Vengence. . .I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Poetry Editor

Post January 31, 2010, 07:31:58 PM

What? No poetry nominations? Curses...
KNEEL before Zod!

Editor Emeritus

Post February 02, 2010, 03:12:53 PM

The clock is ticking...

I plan to have the Short Stories section ready by this weekend, including the Best of 2009 links and five or more new stories. McCamy has at least one new entry for the Serials / Novellas section -- don't know about her Best of list.

If you have anything in mind (especially anything not on my "short list" of one or two stories from each month, posted earlier in this thread), better say so soon!

8)

Jack London (1876-1916)

Editor Emeritus

Post February 02, 2010, 08:23:26 PM

Poem Nomination Rod Stroked Survival with a Deadly Hammer

Wormtongue wrote:What? No poetry nominations? Curses...

How about this one to lead off?

http://www.aphelion-webzine.com/poetry/ ... ammer.html

Poetry Editor

Post February 08, 2010, 05:40:22 PM

Re: Poem Nomination Rod Stroked Survival with a Deadly Hamme

TaoPhoenix wrote:
Wormtongue wrote:What? No poetry nominations? Curses...

How about this one to lead off?

http://www.aphelion-webzine.com/poetry/ ... ammer.html

The Fix is in, the best of have been chosen, and while 'Rod Stroked' made the short list, it did not make the final cut. Who did? Who didn't? How large a bribe do you need to send the editor to make next year's list? All will be revealed in the next issue of Aphelion...
KNEEL before Zod!
Next

Return to Administrivia