50,000 page views !!

Feedback to the editors about the zine not relating to any specific issue.

Moderator: Editors

Editor Emeritus

Post November 09, 2009, 08:55:23 PM

50,000 page views !!

It's finally happened.

The Flash Fiction Index, the thread in the Fun and Games Folder holding a compendium of all the flash stories submitted for the month flash challenges has now been viewed over 50,000 times!

I took a screen shot of it for posterity.

That's pretty amazing for a single thread which features 200 posts from a single user, me. (Even though I only wrote a small portion of the stories in the index, I'm the one who posted them.)

If you've never looked, you should. There's an awful lot of good fiction there, by many of the people you know here at a Aphelion.

Nate
Flash Fiction Editor
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Editor Emeritus

Post November 10, 2009, 01:29:24 AM

That's great news Nate. Congratulations on all your hard work and that of the challenge participants.

The number of views would probably be even higher if those of us using Internet Explorer could view the thread. :wink:

Hero

Master Critic

Post November 10, 2009, 03:39:59 AM

With compliments...!!! :D

Editor Emeritus

Post November 10, 2009, 10:33:18 AM

Internet Explorer

davidsonhero wrote:The number of views would probably be even higher if those of us using Internet Explorer could view the thread. :wink:
Hero

I wish I could be of more help about it. Every PC I've tried in IE 7 or 8 worked, so I don't know what it is. A long, long time ago, Rob Wynne confirmed he had it hang on a machine, but that's as far as things got.

I fixed or changed everything I know how, so without some hard evidence, I can't do any more.
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Editor Emeritus

Post November 10, 2009, 11:40:37 AM

Not just IE, and not just the Flash Index

I find that a lot of the time, Forum pages never quite finish loading (the animated activity icon keeps going, and "Done" never appears in the status bar at the bottom). This happens in IE when I use it (it isn't my browser of choice) and in Firefox and Google Chrome. It does NOT seem to prevent scrolling or using the in-page links.

Sometimes it helps to use the "Reload" or "Refresh" button (or hit CTRL-R)...

RM
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Editor Emeritus

Post November 10, 2009, 02:22:04 PM

IE Problems

I realize Nate that you've done everything you can. And I'm not complaining just to be a pest. I have as many stories in your index as the next flash challenger and I want the index to be working so I can send out links to my friends and family. I also want as many new readers going to the index as possible and reading my stories and the stories of the others. But I'm still having the same problems I've always had with the index and I'm curious what the other forum users' experiences have been.

For the record, I'm using Internet Explorer 7 and I only have problems with the index thread. I've never had any problems loading any other forum threads or any of the regular webpages in the zine. At least not any problems that were chronic or not probably caused by my connection.

When using IE 7, pages 1 and 2 of the index will just give me a black screen and continue to try to load without ever ending. I just tried and let page 2 try for 8 minutes. After I clicked the browser stop button part of the pages does show up as loaded, but it is not complete, only part of the post is loaded.

Pages 3 and 5 of the index load nearly instantly without any problems and always have.

Pages 4, 6, and 7 load the page with none of Nate's forum post included. The navigation appears on the top, left, and bottom. The browser says it is "done," but there is no content. This is different from the way pages 1 and 2 seem to hang part way through and partially load.

I have a DSL connection. It is on the low end, but it still qualifies as broadband. So it is not an issue of my connection speed.

If I use Firefox 3.0 all pages load fine without any problems at all.

I have personally tried this on three different computers with the exact same results and I have had two friends try it from different locations with the similar results (although they did not try as many of the pages as I did).

Now some of you might suggest that since this appears to be an Interent Explorer problem, I should just switch to a better browser. But I'm not complaining because I personally can't get the index to load; I have a work-around. I'm thinking about all the other IE users that may stumble on a link to the forum in a Google search and then get discouraged immediately because the page doesn't load properly. According to the site Browser News (http://www.upsdell.com/BrowserNews/stat_trends.htm) at least 65% of Internet users are using some version of Internet Explorer. That's a big potential audience that is being shrugged away here.

I don't know what the solutions is, but I know there's a problem.

Has anyone else here experienced similar problems?

Hero

Master Critic

Post November 10, 2009, 03:11:14 PM

IE loading question

you answered your own question, Firefox!

RT

Editor Emeritus

Post November 10, 2009, 03:40:14 PM

RT

I wrote:
I'm not complaining because I personally can't get the index to load; I have a work-around. I'm thinking about all the other IE users that may stumble on a link to the forum in a Google search and then get discouraged immediately because the page doesn't load properly.

Richard, you come up with a way to get all those other potential readers to change their browser to Firefox and then we're in business. Come on, wag the dog.

:)

Hero

Master Critic

Post November 10, 2009, 04:01:08 PM

firefox

It's easy,

it's free and it works!

Word of mouth to any people that have problems with IE. That's how I found it.

Are you using VISTA?

Master Critic

Post November 10, 2009, 04:08:23 PM

another suggestion

IDEA:

On the Aphelion Front page, and other spots of main reader interest, make a comment to the subject, if the user is having a problem downloading when on IE, make a suggestion that they download Mozilla FIREFOX.

RT

Editor Emeritus

Post November 10, 2009, 04:18:36 PM

RT,

Windows XP. And my point is that statistics show a huge number of users on the Internet are using some version of IE. I can tell everyone I know to switch, you can tell everyone you know to switch, Nate can tell everyone he knows to switch, Dan could tell everyone he knows to switch, Robert could tell everyone he knows to switch, Mark... Bill... ... ...
guess what, still a huge number of users will be using IE. And they will be lost as readers of Nate's index, and our stories, if an egocentric attitude is taken toward the problem.

So maybe someone could just figure out why it's not working at the source, fix it in one spot and solve the problem that way. I just want as many people to read the thread as possible. I don't know how many people are going to switch their browser for the sake of reading a thread on Aphelion. We must go to the mountain, not the other way around.

:wink:

Hero

Editor Emeritus

Post November 10, 2009, 04:43:23 PM

RT,

Not that it really matters, but I'm probably going to upgrade to Windows 7 in the next couple of months and skip over Vista completely.

I've heard nothing but bad stuff about Vista and have stayed with XP longer because of it.

But let's not digress into locker room talk about our computers; Nate will start snapping his towel and bragging about how big his Mac is.
:lol:

Hero

Editor Emeritus

Post November 10, 2009, 04:48:44 PM

Re: IE Problems

davidsonhero wrote:I realize Nate that you've done everything you can. And I'm not complaining just to be a pest. I have as many stories in your index as the next flash challenger and I want the index to be working so I can send out links to my friends and family. I also want as many new readers going to the index as possible and reading my stories and the stories of the others. But I'm still having the same problems I've always had with the index and I'm curious what the other forum users' experiences have been.

For the record, I'm using Internet Explorer 7 and I only have problems with the index thread. I've never had any problems loading any other forum threads or any of the regular webpages in the zine. At least not any problems that were chronic or not probably caused by my connection.

When using IE 7, pages 1 and 2 of the index will just give me a black screen and continue to try to load without ever ending. I just tried and let page 2 try for 8 minutes. After I clicked the browser stop button part of the pages does show up as loaded, but it is not complete, only part of the post is loaded.

Pages 3 and 5 of the index load nearly instantly without any problems and always have.

Pages 4, 6, and 7 load the page with none of Nate's forum post included. The navigation appears on the top, left, and bottom. The browser says it is "done," but there is no content. This is different from the way pages 1 and 2 seem to hang part way through and partially load.

That's interesting. There are some inline color changes & quotes used in 1&2, but pgs 3 & 4 have a lot of other formatting like bold, ital, area, size, etc., too.

On your browser, does pg 3 start with McCamy's story, "Class Struggle" and pg 4 with your story, "Death & Taxes"?

I've tried looking on the phpBB support board, but all their stuff seems to be for version 3 of this board, and we use 2, if I read it right. I'd love to know the cause, if nothing else, because it's either an IE7/phpBB incompatibility or something I'm doing wrong.

This is a backwards way to go, but have you tried upgrading to IE8? I'm curious if it really is something limited to 7 or not. I use Firefox on a Mac, so there's not much I can do from here. If there were patches that fixed this issue, we're in Rob Wynne's territory.

Master Critic

Post November 10, 2009, 05:03:14 PM

VISTA W7

I have Vista on my laptop, pain in the ass. I purchased it a year ago to my son's chagrin. I didn't consult with him as I usually do. I will probably upgrade to 7. Since it was destroyed by a virus a short while ago there is nothing much on it that I am worried about loosing to the 7 drivers and SW. Upgrading will make assessing some of the VISTA files difficult and or impossible, same for XP too, be careful.

XP on this box; it works!

My son is a computer geek and has been working the beta version on his job w/7 for some time. He likes it.

I will be getting a MAC suite for me and Lady Yamayoshi so we can work our photo art, and various other things.

But back to our normally broadcast conflict of ideas and opinions:

If you made a note of FIREFOX as an alternative, maybe those folks having an issue would respond and try it, and, maybe not. It is a legitimate alternative offering a work-around.

RT

Just bust into Nate's locker and put his clothes in the pool and Bengay(sp???) in his jockstrap!

Editor Emeritus

Post November 10, 2009, 05:59:49 PM

Nate:

Yes, McCamy's story, "Class Struggle" is on top of page 3. Page 4 wouldn't load, but this time acted like pages 1 and 2. It was trying to load, but just kept going. I stopped it after about 5 minutes and it showed my story at the top, but it only loaded content through the middle of "The Flyer" by Cornelius Brandt.

I did upgrade in the past to IE 8 but backed down because it was hogging so many resources on my old laptop. I think I tried the index then with the same results. I am going to try to upgrade again just to help troubleshoot. I'm going to try Google Chrome as well. This may take a little bit though since my laptop is in need of replacing and could have a stroke. I'll report back after some testing.

Hero

Editor Emeritus

Post November 10, 2009, 06:13:20 PM

RT wrote:

Just bust into Nate's locker and put his clothes in the pool and Bengay(sp???) in his jockstrap!

I hear Nate is 7 feet tall and weighs in at 350 lbs, all muscle. He'd probably give me a wedgy, then a swirly, and then shove me in the locker upside down.

:lol:

Hero

Editor Emeritus

Post November 10, 2009, 06:24:31 PM

Sounds about right. :)

I found a reference online in a completely different forum, and their solution was to change your board style (under profile) from "Spacevision" to "SubSilver" and then see if it still happens. If it doesn't, it's IE7 not resetting the display style.

Hope that helps.

Editor Emeritus

Post November 10, 2009, 08:14:13 PM

Hi Nate,

You may be on to something.

At first Internet Explorer 8 was giving me the same problems as IE7. (BTW, Google Chrome seems to work fine.)

I changed to SubSilver as you suggested and... at first I was having the similar loading problems, although page 1 did load when I first opened the browser and first logged in to the forum.

Now though after switching my settings back and forth to SubSilver twice, it seems to be working fine under SubSilver. No loading problems. I tried switching back to the default and that is still not loading some of the index pages. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any consistency in the problem. Some times the page partial loads, some times I get a black screen that hangs, some times the page loads fine.

If the SubSilver setting continues to work, then we know the root of the problem, and it helps me. It does not help the casual Internet surfer who finds Aphelion by search engine or even the family member or friend who wants to stop by for a quick read, since the SubSilver setting is only in effect when you select it and are logged in as a user. So guests still get the default that doesn't work right. Which means this would have to be addressed (or not) by the Webmaven, who has control over the default settings. Thanks for the effort Nate. If you'd like me to try anything else, let me know.

Hero

Editor Emeritus

Post November 10, 2009, 09:03:39 PM

More theories!

I can't let Hero have it that easy! That would be a Clue, not the Problem Root.

Viewing the background image on Spacevision shows a large picture of planets that apparently gets covered up anyway. The background picture of Subsilver is a much smaller pic that seems meant to be tiled.

For the same machine the problem comes and goes depending on my screeen resolution. I'm betting when that for all screen res's of a certain size or smaller, the background pic is big enough to fit once. ("The users who never have any problems".) When I max it out at something like 1600x1200, the problem appears. Still guessing, once you pass a certain size, it tries to draw a board too big for one copy and too small for something like a minimum 4 tiles.

I happen to HATE the design of Subsilver. Now if Rob W. switches the background file names to put the tileable small pic where Spacevision can try to grab it, we may get lucky.

It works in expanded Safari and Opera.

As for "Roots" of the problem, my bet is on IE's famous lack of standards crashing a table draw where all of the other browsers that are more compliant get it right.

Editor Emeritus

Post November 10, 2009, 09:45:46 PM

Thanks for jumping in Tao. I was starting to feel like that cricket chirping away in some corner of the basement.

I only have two resolution options on this old laptop and have the problem with both, but your theory sounds promising. If I get a chance to get on a different computer tonight I'll try changing resolutions and see if it makes a difference there.

For the record, I'm not here to defend Internet Explorer. I just know a lot of people still use it. I use it out of habit. I had to deal with it at work for years and it feels comfortable, even if it is filled with holes.

Hero

Editor Emeritus

Post November 11, 2009, 05:54:00 PM

davidsonhero wrote:If the SubSilver setting continues to work, then we know the root of the problem, and it helps me. It does not help the casual Internet surfer who finds Aphelion by search engine or even the family member or friend who wants to stop by for a quick read, since the SubSilver setting is only in effect when you select it and are logged in as a user. So guests still get the default that doesn't work right. Which means this would have to be addressed (or not) by the Webmaven, who has control over the default settings. Thanks for the effort Nate. If you'd like me to try anything else, let me know.

Hero

I put changing to subSilver in the notice at the top of the index. Maybe that will help more people. Although, I see in subSilver it's hard to read any of the yellow text. I may need to pick a new color for those items, if I can find one that looks good both ways.

Editor Emeritus

Post November 16, 2009, 04:19:40 PM

Don't you just wonder...

Since I posted this, the Index has averaged about 250 hits a day.

Where are they all coming from?? Don't you just wonder??

Editor Emeritus

Post November 16, 2009, 06:22:39 PM

It would be great to think those were all readers. That's probably not the case. I wonder how many are from search engine referrals. Rob Wynne might have access to some statistics that would give you more specifics. For instance, is each hit from a unique IP? My guess is no. Every time I go to a thread, leave it, and return, it increases the hit count of that thread. So it could be from fewer people than you think. All I can say is that I haven't been on the index since November 10th, so none of the hits are from me. Maybe your announcement and the subsequent discussion here drummed up some interest in the older stories.
:D

Hero

Editor Emeritus

Post November 16, 2009, 06:36:53 PM

davidsonhero wrote:It would be great to think those were all readers. That's probably not the case. I wonder how many are from search engine referrals. Rob Wynne might have access to some statistics that would give you more specifics. For instance, is each hit from a unique IP? My guess is no. Every time I go to a thread, leave it, and return, it increases the hit count of that thread. So it could be from fewer people than you think. All I can say is that I haven't been on the index since November 10th, so none of the hits are from me. Maybe your announcement and the subsequent discussion here drummed up some interest in the older stories.
:D

Hero
Oh, I'm sure many of them are not readers, but since the counts for that thread are consistently higher than all the other threads, I don't think search engines can be the root cause. I also know that a lot of people flip back and forth to the index page, further bolstering the hit counts.

I was more curious of where they were coming from. I mean, are we a hit in China (relatively speaking) and don't know it? Can Rob see the stats for a single thread apart from the rest of a site?

If there's concrete data about who's looking, then that would give target demographics. We'd have a chance to give them what they want, whomever and wherever they are, and help build a bigger audience.

We could eventually be *gasp* well read.

Editor Emeritus

Post November 16, 2009, 06:53:16 PM

"Well read"

kailhofer wrote:...
We could eventually be *gasp* well read.

I thought "well-read" meant "having read a broad range of literature of high quality" (as opposed to, say, having read every Harlequin Romance ever published)...

(from TheFreeDictionary.com:

Knowledgeable through having read extensively.

having read widely and intelligently; erudite

and Thesaurus definitions from the same page:

well informed or deeply versed through reading; "respect for a well-read man"; "well-read in medieval history"

highly educated; having extensive information or understanding)

I'm not sure what the term for "read by a lot of people" would be ("King-like"? "Grishamish"?)

RM :twisted:
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Editor Emeritus

Post December 29, 2009, 11:48:33 AM

60,000 page views!

In not even 2 months, another 10K. How cool is that?

That's the Flash Fiction Index, the repository of all entries to the monthly writing challenges since we started them back in '07. If you haven't seen it, you can check it out here.

Editor Emeritus

Post March 24, 2010, 01:57:30 PM

This is just a brag, sorry. I see the Flash Fiction Index passed the 70,000 hit mark today. :D

Master Critic

Post March 25, 2010, 03:24:07 AM

Wonderful the Flash Fiction Index section, indeed :D ...but, as many pages open correctly, on the other hand some of them open to me as a blank page, or better a page with a sky full of stars ( and beautiful planets...eh,eh) but no written texts in them...probably some bad setting on my internet browser or on my own computer ...or any problem anybody else incurred into out there...eh,eh? :?:

Editor Emeritus

Post March 25, 2010, 09:29:36 AM

It's just some people who have that problem. The best fix we have is to change your board style to subSilver. You do that by picking 'profile' above, next to Search and your messages notice. One inside, pick 'subSilver' as the board style instead of 'spacevision.'

It changes the colors of everything, but then all the pages show. Nobody really knows why.

Master Critic

Post March 26, 2010, 04:06:30 AM

Yeaaahhh, it does function, indeed...eh,eh...thanks for your suggestion, appreciated...eh,eh... :!: :D

Return to Administrivia