ApheliCon 4

Feedback to the editors about the zine not relating to any specific issue.

Moderator: Editors

You gonna show up?

Yes! Count me in!
57%
Sorry, can't make it.
14%
Too soon to tell...
29%

Total votes : 7

Senior Editor

Post March 09, 2009, 11:11:14 PM

ApheliCon 4

OK, my wife has just informed me that the next ApheliCon is slated for August 22[sup]nd[/sup], 2009. Expect Aphelion people and some steampunk people to attend. I want all 3 million Aphelion readers and writers to show up, if possible. Food will be provided by Bill's BBQ and by my own efforts at the grill in the back yard.

A new air conditioner is being budgeted, e'en as we speak.

Come rain, or blizzard, or heat wave, or whatever Thor's wrath might contain... ApheliCon 4 will happen on August 22[sup]nd[/sup]. You can either be there, or wish you had been!

:)

Dan

Master Critic

Post April 10, 2009, 10:22:05 AM

Re: ApheliCon 4

Vila wrote:Food will be provided by Bill's BBQ and by my own efforts at the grill in the back yard.

Thank you, Lin. It's about time somebody put her foot down and made a freaking decision.

Interesting phraseology, Dan. Bill's Barbeque, indeed.

I hereby swear by the holy names of Tesla, Uncle Albert and Pliny the Elder to not only show-up, but foot the entire cost of Bill's BBQ (Plus all the extras--beans, coleslaw, corn, etc) no matter how many million readers/writers/dabblers or demons show up. Budget as you wish, Dan & Lin, but do not incude a red cent toward the cost of that culinary crescendo which you so cavalierly call 'Bill's'.

It's on me. (Though I might appreciate one of you actually making the phone call to order this Ambrosia.)

Let's just say I've had a good year, this time around. And leave it at that.

Assuming--of course--I'm actually alive at the time. That's my only Caveat. If I'm not, I expect clay bowls (not plastic cups!) of Krupnik to be hoisted in my honor.

I wouldn't miss this for the world. No kidding. Anyone else out there who can possibly make it, should try your very best to do so. It's an experience like no other I have known. The Bill's BBQ alone is probably worth the trip. Hell, I think the coleslaw is worth it.

Best I've ever had.

And when you hear Rob Wynne and and the Lovely Larissa March sing their Filk, you'll know what I mean. The Bards of Old are green with both decay. . .and envy.

Tell 'em, Jamie!

If that Rob guy ever kicks off. . .but I digress.

I think you may have detected a subtle trend, here. I'm gonna be there. I'll probably also bring a date. If she's who I'm sure she'll be, she'll be a true Newbie to this kind of event. Be gentle, folks. I've already put it in my Outlook calendar, so it must be true.

August in central Georgia. Yeee-Haaaaa!

The upgraded AC is really good idea.

Bill Wolfe
"I am Susan Ivanova. . . .I am the Right Hand of Vengence. . .I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Senior Editor

Post July 07, 2009, 01:50:14 PM

Just a little reminder: ApheliCon 4 is rapidly drawing near! Only six more weeks to go! Please do plan on attending if you can. Lyn and I hope to see many, many people show up.

August 22nd, here at Casa Vila - roughly halfway between Athens and Danielsville, GA. off of Highway 29. Written directions and maps are being posted online soon.

Dan

Senior Editor

Post August 07, 2009, 09:53:30 PM

Random stuffage in prep for the party on the 22nd...

Updated the http://www.aphelion-webzine.com/con_map ... o_dan.html map and driving landmarks page with a current photo of the house down at the bottom of the "landmarks" photos.

Replaced the screen on the kitchen storm door. *That* was annoying! Things kept going wrong and it wound up taking me an hour to do a ten minute job.

Created a Facebook page for Aphelion Webzine and posted an Event Entry for the party. Folks on Facebook, please feel free to add me as a friend and join the Aphelion Group if you have any interest in the zine or are a writer-type who enjoys SF&F amateur fiction (*not* fan-fic, no, original work).

Still haven't gotten many confirmations from people who are planning to come to the party. I've got to know so that I can buy enough food and drinks, folks. *Please* let me know that you're coming. I can't risk getting a DUI for going out to buy more food after the party starts.

One Atlanta-area fellow from our steampunk friends would love to attend, but needs to car-pool. Anyone who would be passing near the Doraville/Buford HWY exit of 285, please message me if you're willing to pick up a passenger.

Priced new air conditioners at one local store... Whooooo-boy! The prices have gone up a bit since the last time I bought one. Going to visit two more local stores this weekend and then pick the place with the best prices.

On the schedule of things yet to do to get ready for the party: window screens on three windows, refinishing 4 items of furniture, clean up and mow the yard, clean the leaves out of the pool and add more chlorine tablets, make signage and decide where to place it, update the music & movie hard drives for the TV computer, large-scale housecleaning, shampoo the carpets, act on any sound whims that involve home remodeling that can be completed in the next two weeks, attempt a tad of landscaping in the woods off the back yard in case someone wants to wander back there for a photoshoot...

Provisions!

Etc.

Master Critic

Post August 08, 2009, 02:45:23 PM

Vila wrote:One Atlanta-area fellow from our steampunk friends would love to attend, but needs to car-pool. Anyone who would be passing near the Doraville/Buford HWY exit of 285, please message me if you're willing to pick up a passenger.

Priced new air conditioners at one local store... Whooooo-boy! The prices have gone up a bit since the last time I bought one. Going to visit two more local stores this weekend and then pick the place with the best prices.

Dan,

I've looked at alternate routes to your place out the wazoo (and since I've studied anatomy since the time of the Venerable Bede) and I still don't know where that organ is located. . .

But I still have to go through Atlanta to get to your place.

I'll pick this person up. Just get me the info and we'll make the arrangements.

I was planning on taking a hotel room close by for Saturday night, but all things are possible.

What kind of accomodations (decent, but not costly) are available close to Casa Vila, anyway?

I'm planning on bringing my Saturday girlfriend to this, and she's true newbie. . .

And I feel your pain with the AC. I just had to shell-out $6600 up front, to replace mine. It's gonna take me a while to build that kind of cushion up, again.

In any case, I hope you got the 'package' and have either not opened it or. . .at least not opened the contents.

I suggest you stick them in the freezer before the guests arrive. Anyone who's read the Mare Inebrium stories would at least appreciate a taste of it.

I'm gonna be there, pal.

Come heck or high water.

Bill
"I am Susan Ivanova. . . .I am the Right Hand of Vengence. . .I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Senior Editor

Post August 08, 2009, 03:40:55 PM

Bill_Wolfe wrote:
Dan,

I've looked at alternate routes to your place out the wazoo (and since I've studied anatomy since the time of the Venerable Bede) and I still don't know where that organ is located. . .

But I still have to go through Atlanta to get to your place.

We usually head out of Knoxville towards HWY 40 East. Here's how Google Maps lays it out once I corrected the route to avoid Gatlinburg & Cherokee:

Driving directions to 751 Moons Grove Church Rd, Colbert, GA 30628
235 mi – about 4 hours 32 mins
Via I-40 E

Knoxville, TN

1. Head north on N Broadway St/TN-1/TN-33/TN-71/US-11/US-441/US-70 toward W Depot Ave 0.3 mi
2. Turn right at W Magnolia Ave/TN-1/US-11/US-70 0.5 mi
3. Turn left at N Hall of Fame Dr/TN-1/US-11/US-70 Continue to follow N Hall of Fame Dr 0.5 mi
4. Take the ramp onto I-40 E Entering North Carolina 89.9 mi
5. Take exit 27 to merge onto US-74 W toward Clyde/US-23/US-19 25.9 mi
6. Take exit 81 to merge onto US-23/US-441 S toward Franklin/Dillsboro/Atlanta 20.6 mi
7. Take the ramp onto Georgia Rd/US-23/US-441 Continue to follow US-23/US-441 Entering Georgia 52.1 mi
8. Slight left at 441 Bypass/GA-15/US-441 (signs for Commerce/US-441/Athens) Continue to follow US-441 25.5 mi
9. Turn left at GA-98/Ila Rd Continue to follow GA-98 13.7 mi
10. Turn right at GA-8/General Daniel Ave S/US-29 0.4 mi
11. At the traffic circle, take the 2nd exit onto Athens Rd/GA-8/US-29 Continue to follow GA-8/US-29 4.8 mi
12. Turn right at Moons Grove Church Rd Destination will be on the left 0.6 mi

751 Moons Grove Church Rd
Colbert, GA 30628

My family knows several shortcuts on the way, but we've been driving between Athens and Knoxville several times a year since 1968. I can't explain those shortcuts 'cause you don't know this area well enough to make sense of my mutterings.

I'll pick this person up. Just get me the info and we'll make the arrangements.

If you still feel like taking HWY 75 to Atlanta and then driving East to get here, then the fellow's name is Michael RedTurtle on Facebook. I'll contact him for his e-mail address and the two of you can plan where to meet. I gather that he lives about a mile outside the 285 Loop off of the Buford HWY exit.

I was planning on taking a hotel room close by for Saturday night, but all things are possible.

What kind of accomodations (decent, but not costly) are available close to Casa Vila, anyway?

The closest hotel is a Comfort Inn on North Ave. in Athens. The hotel is less than 4 years old, looks great from what I've seen of it, and being a Comfort Inn it shouldn't be that expensive.

I'm planning on bringing my Saturday girlfriend to this, and she's true newbie. . .

We'll make her feel welcome, bet on it!

And I feel your pain with the AC. I just had to shell-out $6600 up front, to replace mine. It's gonna take me a while to build that kind of cushion up, again.

The one we got is a window unit, so it was far less than that price! WalMart wanted $500+ for one the same BTU rating, but Sam's Club had it at less than half that price. We'll be putting the old one in the master bedroom and hoping that between the two of them we can keep the house comfortable for the party. Unless it's up in the 90s outdoors, I prefer to use the attic fan, myself. But that's just because I have to work in the heat at the factory and need to stay acclimated to the ambient temps. there.

In any case, I hope you got the 'package' and have either not opened it or. . .at least not opened the contents.

I suggest you stick them in the freezer before the guests arrive. Anyone who's read the Mare Inebrium stories would at least appreciate a taste of it.

The box is sitting, unopened, here in the office e'en now. I have no idea what's inside the box, but your hint leads me to think that our minds function along similar lines. :) The box will be opened and its contents stashed in the freezer on the day before the party!

I'm gonna be there, pal.

Come heck or high water.

Bill

Looking forward to it. Maybe this time you'll actually remember to take those fancy sunglasses home with you. :D And maybe Rob & Larissa will remind me to dig out the camera that they left here a couple of years ago, too.

Here's hoping that Thor takes a day off on the 22nd so we can get through the party without thunderstorms and the power going off! Now I've got to send a message to mister Redturtle and get his e-mail address. After that, I'm going to start two more furniture restoration projects that'll likely keep me busy for the next two days.

Dan

Senior Editor

Post August 15, 2009, 02:00:10 PM

Seven days to go until the party. The fellow in Atlanta who wants to get a ride with someone can be contacted at michael.redturtle@gmail.com and a big thanks goes out to whomever gives him a ride.

Looks like we have 6 confirmed guests and 20 possibles.

Dan

Editor Emeritus

Post August 17, 2009, 02:00:28 PM

Hurricane Bill

"...Rainfall of 3 to 6 inches was expected, with isolated areas getting up to 10 inches along the Panhandle, the Big Bend region, central and southern Alabama and southwestern Georgia, forecasters said."

Well, I suppose that even if you get the fringes of it early in the week, things should dry out by the weekend...
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Senior Editor

Post August 18, 2009, 02:32:50 PM

The new AC unit is a wonder! The house is quite comfortable now. I think we won't have to worry about the weather too much. The predictions keep changing every hour, but Saturday looks as if it'll only be isolated rain, quickly passing.

Getting down to the wire here, folks. How many bottomless pits, besides myself and Bill Wolfe, do we need to buy Bill's BBQ for? Drinks? Who needs info about the closest hotels? Who is planning to kidnap one of our herd of cats?Who is going to wind up standing in the corner with a lampshade on their head? Who needs to get one of Gloria Brame's books autographed? (Gloria said that she might drop by again this year.) Inquiring minds want to know! :)

Hope to see you here,

Dan

Senior Editor

Post August 21, 2009, 06:44:33 PM

Tomorrow is the party! Finally, the wait will be over.

8 confirmed guests from all the different places that I've posted about the party. But some of those confirmations are for couples.

Lyn is making home-made salsa, guacamole, and a couple of different dips for the veggies. We decided to drop hamburgers and hot dogs from the menu in favor of phoning out for pizzas if there are more guests than we buy Bills's BBQ for, because we can cope with vegitarians and people with dietary restrictions more easily with Pizza Express than we can with bulk hamburgers & hot dogs. Bill's BBQ has been warned to expect our order and will be making 2 and 1/2 lbs. of BBQ and a gallon of hash- just for us! Enough to feed 12 people, anyway.

We've bought 1 bag of potato chips, 2 bags of nacho chips, fresh veggies to chop up for finger food, 1 loaf of whole wheat bread, crackers, 2 bottles of white wine, a small fruit tray with dip for a dessert, grapes, 6-packs of Pepsi, Cokes, Mtn. Dew, 2 gallons of Arizona brand Green Tea, a little tomato juice, plus 6-packs of Bud Lite, Tecate', Killian's, Corona, Sweet Water- brewed in Atlanta, and loads of Natural Light beers that are already on ice.

We've got plenty of paper plates, bowls, napkins, paper towels, and plastic flatware. Don't worry about bringing those.

If you want hot tea with milk, be forewarned that Lyn only has soy milk on hand. If you want iced tea that isn't Green Tea, you might want to bring your favorite sweetener. We've got Black Pearl as well as Tetley tea bags to make hot or iced tea,

Things we forgot to get: Sour Cream, white bread, Red wine or Rose' wine or some sort of Blush wine (didn't think people would want it, really), any sort of refried bean dip although we do have a can of pinto beans we can boil up, soft drink sodas other than the 3 sorts mentioned above, cheddar cheese, and whatever you want that you don't see listed.

Bill Wolfe's Mystery Beverage was opened today and was placed in the fridge to chill. I don't think the bottles would survive the freezer, though, so I didn't chance bursting them.

In short, show up, show up hungry and thirsty, and be prepared to have a good time! Or be octagonal and miss out.

Dan

Senior Editor

Post August 23, 2009, 06:40:23 PM

The party was awesome. A grand total of thirteen guests. All Lyn's preparations were a big hit, even though while we were clearing up and putting things back into the fridge we found that we'd forgotten to get the avocado dip out in the first place. Oops! Good thing we like it ourselves. The BBQ was wonderful, as it always is from that restaurant. Very little of it is left, but we do have enough of the Brunswick stew for me to eat for a couple of days. All the desserts are left, including a lovely apple pie that guests brought. And I won't be having to buy any beer for several days, either. Still a lot of that left. Still have a whole bottle of Krupnik, too. That turned out to be almost as good as what I make myself!

The conversations were tremendous fun, everyone talking about everything under the sun. Stories were told, toasts were made, food and drink were consumed in mass quantities... In short, it was a lovely party. The only bad thing was that eventually everyone had to go home.

Plans were begun for next year's party, which might turn out to be held at Rob & Larissa's home rather than here. April was suggested as a good time of year for next year's party. But I'll always love hosting parties here. Just give me an excuse, and convince Lyn that she won't have to do as much work as she did this time, and we're good to go!

Perhaps when Fall weather turns cooler, we can throw another party. If not, next Spring isn't that far off.

Master Critic

Post September 23, 2009, 08:03:49 PM

Aphelion party next year

Greetings all, Just my 2 cents as I'm usually behind the scenes...errr behind David's editing anyway. Grins! We have many small children still at home so August is back to school time, and spring in April is preparation for the CRCT and of course the Masters here in Augusta. The best time for us would be summertime, or right before a holiday. Just a thought as we would like to attend, especially since it's so close. Thank you for all of the great stories and the hard work here at Aphelion. Perhaps as time goes on.....

Hugs,
Deanna Jones(David's wife ...aka Kyras Sundancer forever!)
Check out my blog: http://wp.me/NXsO

Return to Administrivia